Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    oct 96
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Have your children had braces under the NHS or not

Just wondered whether your children had braces under the nhs or whether you ended up having them for them and paying because their teeth would look better. Seems like teeth have to be pretty bad before you qualify under the NHS. Just wondered how you felt about it.
    Clorogue

Mar02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Matthews just had his taken off last week. He'll be 10 in 2 weeks.

He didnt lose his 1st tooth til he was 8.

The top 4 front teeth were growing in 4 different directions!!

So, on he nhs he got a brace for around 6 months.

They look lovely now.

Rachel x

Pipsqueak Guest

Rob had had 2 years of nhs treatment - his teeth look fab (he is now 13) and he has a retainer to keep them in place.

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Of my 2 boys one did and one didnt qualify. Infact the one whose teeth actually look worse didnt!
    Ds2 had his braces on for about a year and has now got retainers to keep the teeth in their new position.
    Ds1 has still got crooked teeth at the front bottom ( sorry ) and though i would have liked to go privately to get them perfect for him I simply couldnt justify the cost.

Sept 00
    Post Thanks / Like

all three of mine have had theirs done on the nhs they were all thumb suckers and they did need them doing although i wouldn't say they were especially bad but noone asked me to pay so i didn't

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

My son had his done just before he was 18 and we didnt pay. His teeth werent too bad, but they look lovely now

Aug 06
    Post Thanks / Like

My son ha his taken off about 6 months ago and now has retainers,had braces for 18 months, train tracks top and bottom, all on nhs thankfully!
    We were told that in this area if you havent started the treatment by the time you turn 16 then you have to pay.
    ***** proofed the house but they're still getting in!

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My twins have them. They were both pretty bad, but one worse than the other. The worse one got them a couple of years ago, he is heading towards having them removed in the next 12 months then on to a retainer. The other whose weren't quite so bad, but still awful, only got NHS treatment as he is an identical twin and the doctors felt fixing his brothers teeth but not his would cause my son ...not emotional problems as such but something along those lines. His teeth were border line anyway so they could get away with fixing them.
    But yes, we've found they have to be pretty bad, neither of my kids could completely close their lips over their teeth, but we had to fight to get any treatment. I'd been asking for something to be done since they were 7, the worse one finally began treatment when he was 13, my other is now 15 before they have begun treatment. They both either have had or have to have teeth removed for this.
    And I will have it all to do again for my 5 year old, as his teeth are also very large, but his jaw very small

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

My youngest had a couple of front teeth (eye teeth) growing behind others so very overcrowded. When he was about 12 he had 'train tracks' (and elastics near the end) put in probably 15 months the estimate was (NHS). Well..... when he was nearly 17 he had them removed. I have to admit his teeth are absolutely perfect! Although it took a lot longer than anticipated, he stuck with it (1 year to move one tooth slightly!) and he really does have lovely teeth.

May '09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My son has had a plate to fix one of his teeth.

However, it has taken a few years for them to do anything. He was about 7 when it grew out squiff and they kept putting it off, saying they were waiting for all his adult teeth to emerge.

When I was a child, I had one plate to fix my left front tooth and then about a year later, a second plate to fix the right front tooth. Twice the price .

Jan 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I had braces for 2 years and have had 8 teeth and all 4 wisdom teeth out to make it work.
    The NHS was very through. I thought it was as long as child in FT education treatment was free, not gradiation on bad/good.
    I had my braces off at 18yrs old!

They were good and this was the old style braces, i had the elastic bands and head brace at night too.

12yrs on a little movement but a great smile.