Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Those of you that can drive

How long did it take you to learn?

I'm only on my 2nd lesson so obviously no where near passing yet but have set my target for my birthday in October and hoping that's realistic!

BuggsieMoo Guest

I had 2 2 hour lessons a month from October to May so for 8 months (32 hours) and passed my theory first time and test 1st time with 2 minor faults. I then also did my pass plus x

JUNE 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

My daughter has just passed her test after 20 hours of lessons but in 2 hour blocks so only around 10 actual lessons and passed first time. She also passed her theory first time which she sat as soon as she started learning
    "Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars."

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

it was a while ago so cant remember how many lessons i had but I passed on my third test ,, it was in the middle of a thunder storm the inspector asked me if I wanted the blower on as it was also a really hot day, he turned it on and it was like a gale force wind, total distraction all round but somehow I passed that one, both the others went really well yet I failed gues you can never tell.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I was very young... and it took me a looooong time!

I remember dad saying it was the best present he'd ever had when I passed on his birthday and saved him paying for lessons

Didn't have hazard awareness in those days either - which is just as well because I tried one on the computer and failed

Good luck!

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    I was very young... and it took me a looooong time!

I remember dad saying it was the best present he'd ever had when I passed on his birthday and saved him paying for lessons

Didn't have hazard awareness in those days either - which is just as well because I tried one on the computer and failed

Good luck!
    I think it took me about a year but it was a long time ago and like Sarah well before hazard awareness. I hated learning to drive and got really worked up and it took me 2 attempts. I quite like driving now!

dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

i just passed in feb for second time as the first time they got me to parralle park in front of my house and my nan grandad n mom were watching me!! driving instructor was not happy cause they aren't suppose to take you near to your house!!

any way it tool me four years i started when i was 18 then i had a hip op and had to give up everything for 6months and it took me a while to get the confidence to do it so a year later i started again but it was like two lessons a month untill last october where i did one a week

such a long time getting there but i did it just not got a car yet and havent drove since i passed hmmmmm xx
    good luck x

June 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I was 19 and it took 9 weeks, 1 hour per week and then I took my test and passed

I don't think it matters how long it takes, you will get there in your own time.

Relax and enjoy
    Crazy Crackers

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Am I the worst??

It was nearly 20 years ago, and it took me 2 years and.........6 tests!

Oh, and 2 driving schools. 5 tests with one, and passed straight away when I changed, it was all down to nerves and my new instructor just made me drive, drive, drive for miles and miles. I could do all the manoeuvres blindfolded, I was just terrified of traffic!

Can anyone beat 6?

may 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Long, long, looooong time ago! But remember it well.
    I took my test at 3.30pm on a Friday and was taken through town just at school kick out time. A boy on fell off his bike into the road so had to do a real emergency stop! Passed first time
    Carol x

Aug 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Guess everyone is different

I'm so impatient and now that I've started learning I just want to master it and be able to drive NOW!

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

4 tests for me and to be honest I failed the last one by going over the white line when reversing round the corner. Examiner said well you've failed but do you want to I for a drive any way since you have paid for it? So we went for a drive and when we got back he said he was passing me as I was a lovely driver once the nerves had gone!

My son started lessons in September and is taking his second test next month.

Sept 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi it varies from person to person, my husband is a driving instructor and recommends 2 lessons a week. Be confident and you will succeed good luck.

Apr 12
    Post Thanks / Like

2 and a half years and two tests for me. I did take a break of a few months around the time I had my second son. Still, I'm clearly not one of lifes natural drivers....

Aug 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cathtee View Post
    Hi it varies from person to person, my husband is a driving instructor and recommends 2 lessons a week. Be confident and you will succeed good luck.
    Thanks I'm off every Friday so I'm getting lessons then and it works out that I have some Monday's off too now so I'm going to ask if my instructor can give in an hour on Monday's too.

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i started at 17 1/2 and passed my test a year later. I took 3 tests but left a big gap after each time before I tried agian.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Aug 03
    Post Thanks / Like

I learnt to drive when I was 17 and my 12th lesson was my test and I passed
    Love
    Lorraine xx

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

took me just under 2 years! i had a couple of lessons with a really unhelpful, condescending teacher who was totally uninterested in the fact that i was scared and didn't want to drive ( my father died in a car accident )

i then refused to have my 3rd lesson and my parents were furious as they'd paid for 5 up front! a few months later i did a weeks intensive driving course, and although i didn't pass the test at the end, i was much more confident about actually driving! my (step)dad drove round with me for the next year or so, and then i had a few more lessons with a lady driver who 'got' me!

i then passed my test, despite having the car across the road for the 3 point turn and having to ask which way to go next as i was concentrating so hard i couldn't remember!

i still don't like driving and its just something i have to do!

sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

it has taken me 18 months so far and have my second test tomorrow so nervous sat here thinking about it i must admit I have not enjoyed it and found it difficult to learn to drive I am a nervous driver but I have kept going with it really hope I pass tomorrow.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

If you look for 'longest time anyone has ever taken to pass a test' on google... I'll be there ! well I would be if I 'd pass !! I have been taking lessons for 3 years now I did have a break when I was pregnant . It's my hobby ! I passed my theory first time but it's ran out now so I have to sit it again I haven't asked exactly how many lessons I've had, I'm too scared, I would add up how much it has cost and think of all the lovely things (shoes!) I could have bought.I consider myself to be a fast learner at other things, just NOT driving, however I am determined.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast