Childminder - not in my home
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Childminder - not in my home

I would like to work as a childminder in the childs own home, what do I need to do to register/qualifications etc. I don't think my own home would be suitable and I have 2 dogs.

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

you would be a nanny then hon. you don't need to register to do that but it might be best to and you would need some qualifications
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I have dogs

Hi
    Don't let you having dogs as a put off to you childminding at home. I have 2 dogs, 1 big, 1 small and this has not put off any parent.

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Agree with The Juggler. A childminder works from their own or another childminders home. A nanny works from a child's home.

Many childminders have pet dogs - I have 1, two of my childminding friends have 2(one has dalmations so not little quiet dogs!). You need to show that you can keep the children safe from harm - this would mean never allowing children to be alone with the dogs ( mine stays upstairs most of the time), that they are wormed, vaccinated and flea treated, that their food and water bowls are safe for children (my dog feeds in the lobby behind doors that can be closed and he does not get aggressive around food anyway) that you can clean up after them outside (I have an area for the dog and another for the children).

If you decide to be a nanny it is good practice and will get you better jobs and pay if you have qualifications in childcare - definately Paediatric First Aid and child protection/safeguarding and food hygiene. Talk to your local councils Family Information Service (FIS) for suggestions on childcare courses. Talk to nanny agencies (not to register) just to get suggestions on courses. You can register as a nanny with OFSTED in England which would allow any parents to claim help towards childcare if they are entitled.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thx for your quick responses, they're very helpful.