OMG OMG OMG OMG Please help me!!!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation OMG OMG OMG OMG Please help me!!!

Please please please can someone help.....Im totally hysterical and dont know what to do, say, ask etc......

Ive had my first ever enquiry from a mum just wanting a few hours a week. She has just enquiried whether I have vacancies first of all and we are then going to chat further however Ive now gone into panic mode!! for the following reasons:-

1. I am currently not registered - am just going through the process
    2. I dont know what to say, ask, answer, give the mum etc

I believe that you are allowed to look after children for two hours per day without being registered - is this correct? From what mum has said initially it seems like it might just be a bit of a breakfast club type thing so may only be for two hours a morning.

If anyone can give any advice on either of the above issues you may well just save my life!!

aly Guest

Default Re: OMG OMG OMG OMG Please help me!!!

you cant take any payment either.

how long doy0u think before reg comes through?

Nov 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aly View Post

Not had my visit yet so could be forever!! or at least it seems like forever!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm intrigued - how did she get your number or is it someone you know?

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Nov 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by miffy View Post
    I'm intrigued - how did she get your number or is it someone you know?

Miffy xx
    I sort of think Its someone I know which is why Im not getting too excited - as Im not sure - shes a bit reluctant to give much info at the moment! It has just made me realise just how disorganised I am tho!

jun 09
    Post Thanks / Like

mine only took a few weeks from ofsted visit. I'm about to get my NCMA pack from council and curious how long it then takes to get my public liability insurance?

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I was in the same position hun, dont panic.
    When mum comes to see you just explain the situation, Have you any idea when you will be registered? you dont say how near or far you are to completing registration..
    The 2 hour rule is correct, but you would not be able to take any money for this and you would also need to inform the parent that as you are not yet registered you will not have any insurance to cover you..
    I expected to be registered in Jan 2010 at the latest as everything else had been completed the year before but then due to my police checks taking forever and Ofsted taking there time I didn`t actually start CM until March, which meant that I worked for free for 3 months
    On the plus side I got to know the children and the parents very well before signing contracts but it could have worked out very differently so to be honest I would just think about it all very carefully before you make any decisions..
    It would help if you could give the parent an idea of when you will be registered, as if its only a matter of weeks they might just like the child to come for a settling in period before you are registered..

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by charlie potato View Post
    mine only took a few weeks from ofsted visit. I'm about to get my NCMA pack from council and curious how long it then takes to get my public liability insurance?
    Im with MM so not sure if its the same for NCMA, but when I applied on line for mine, I had to put the day/date I wanted it to start.
    Hope that helps hun xx

Nov 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by naomiesian View Post
    I was in the same position hun, dont panic.
    When mum comes to see you just explain the situation, Have you any idea when you will be registered? you dont say how near or far you are to completing registration..
    The 2 hour rule is correct, but you would not be able to take any money for this and you would also need to inform the parent that as you are not yet registered you will not have any insurance to cover you..
    I expected to be registered in Jan 2010 at the latest as everything else had been completed the year before but then due to my police checks taking forever and Ofsted taking there time I didn`t actually start CM until March, which meant that I worked for free for 3 months
    On the plus side I got to know the children and the parents very well before signing contracts but it could have worked out very differently so to be honest I would just think about it all very carefully before you make any decisions..
    It would help if you could give the parent an idea of when you will be registered, as if its only a matter of weeks they might just like the child to come for a settling in period before you are registered..
    Hia Naomiesian and thank you for your reply - good to know someone was in the same boat as me!! I too had been thinking about working for free - I currently have a part time job in the afternoons and was hoping that mum would want me to have lo in the morning so I could keep my afternoon job going. I really dont know how far into the process I am as I am unsure how long things will take. All the forms are completed and sent and Im booked on the first aid course, Ive also sent all the forms requesting a date for by BIT. The lady at Osted said a couple of weeks ago that they would probably be coming around the first week in Sept but I have heard nothing since apart from the letter asking me to pay the fee - so not sure how long it takes from this point really. May have to start looking around for things such as policies etc as this is all the things Id like to have in place for when I get any solid enquiries. xxx

May '09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

You are booked on your first aid. You have to have done first aid for your reg to go thru. also have your crb forms been submitted. a year ago when i got reg, ofsted signed off the crb forms and posted them when they did the pre-reg. generally it is the crb that takes the longest.

i am saying you are looking at at least 8 weeks ....

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi hun, you are very welcome, I couldn`t have got through the whole process of becoming a CM without the help from everyone on this site so its nice to be able to give some help and advice back!
    I think that Zoomie is right in saying its going to be at least 8 weeks before you are registered, so it might be worth explaining this to the parent and if she is really stuck for childcare and it suits you and doesn`t break any rules then perhaps consider doing it for free, I think when you meet the parent you will be able to tell if she is going to take the and if you feel this at all then I would strongly advise just telling her to contact you again in a couple of months once you are registered.
    Let us know the outcome hun.

Naomie xx

If you need any idea`s for polices etc just shout.

Nov 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so so much - and help with policies would be fab....I really just dont have a clue where to start!!!

Zoomie - the bit where you said about Ofsted signing off your CRB forms - what do you mean? Do I have to keep my forms here then and not post them until the inspector has been or do I post them then wait for the inspector?? Im a bit confooosed!!

Have heard back from mum today and she only wants two days a week for two hours each time initially as she is trying to get lo used to people - so I think it would be feasible that I could do that for free while waiting for reg.

Im booked on First Aid course - 25th September so only a few weeks to go for that bit!!
    Thank you all so much - I really appreciate any help/advice/support etc!!!xxx

Jul 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

The same thing happened to me, I had two enquiries back in January, they'd got my number from one of the ladies who runs the local playschool. They were looking for before/after school care from September, so I explained that they were welcome to visit after Ofsted had done their initial meeting. Ofsted came out in May and I was registered mid-July. My CRBs held it up a bit, so get Ofsted out as soon as you can because they send it off for you. I asked Ofsted to chase it for me, they couldn't until it had been at a certain stage for 60 days, and advised me I couldn't chase it either.... so I was naughty, ignored their advice and rang my local police force!! They got someone to deal with it that day!! I got my clearance a couple of days later, so it does pay to keep hassling people.

I have had these two mums and their kids out to visit and have a couple of hours here without their mum. We've now signed contracts for September. They asked me lots of questions, and I explained that I needed to finalise my policies ("finalise"... lol... I actually meant "start them"!!!!) I did a pack of policies, copied from ones I found online, just changed to suit my setting. In the meantime I got books and posters for the playroom, etc, so it would look 'ready' when they came round.

Have a think about your policies, and also your prices. I got loads of advice from reading posts on this forum about payments/holiday pay/disputes, etc, things I hadn't even thought about. My local council paid for my membership of the NCMA and their pack came to me within a few days, quite a while before my registration came through, so I got to familiarise myself with their paperwork. They supply a small amount of policies, accident sheets, etc, so don't worry about having to do those yourself.

Good luck, try not to panic too much, I know how daunting it is. xxx

Nov 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Louise B View Post
    The same thing happened to me, I had two enquiries back in January, they'd got my number from one of the ladies who runs the local playschool. They were looking for before/after school care from September, so I explained that they were welcome to visit after Ofsted had done their initial meeting. Ofsted came out in May and I was registered mid-July. My CRBs held it up a bit, so get Ofsted out as soon as you can because they send it off for you. I asked Ofsted to chase it for me, they couldn't until it had been at a certain stage for 60 days, and advised me I couldn't chase it either.... so I was naughty, ignored their advice and rang my local police force!! They got someone to deal with it that day!! I got my clearance a couple of days later, so it does pay to keep hassling people.

I have had these two mums and their kids out to visit and have a couple of hours here without their mum. We've now signed contracts for September. They asked me lots of questions, and I explained that I needed to finalise my policies ("finalise"... lol... I actually meant "start them"!!!!) I did a pack of policies, copied from ones I found online, just changed to suit my setting. In the meantime I got books and posters for the playroom, etc, so it would look 'ready' when they came round.

Have a think about your policies, and also your prices. I got loads of advice from reading posts on this forum about payments/holiday pay/disputes, etc, things I hadn't even thought about. My local council paid for my membership of the NCMA and their pack came to me within a few days, quite a while before my registration came through, so I got to familiarise myself with their paperwork. They supply a small amount of policies, accident sheets, etc, so don't worry about having to do those yourself.

Good luck, try not to panic too much, I know how daunting it is. xxx
    Thank you sweetie - your a star!! - Could I just pick up on a couple of things you said tho -

The bit where you said Ofsted send your CRB forms off for you - a couple of people have mentioned this and now im really confused! I have got my CRB forms and have them completed - I also had a form with them which was an identity verification form which my GP had to sign to say he'd seen my ID - however, in with the forms was a letter and envelope saying to send them back and that when i had sent them back they would contact me for a visit - does it not work like this then? Should I keep them here and just wait to hear something?

Secondly, my council also pay for my NCMA membership - I was under the impression that I could not send off for my pack until I was actually registered - or at least had CRB back etc? Would be great if I could send for it now and get to go through the forms and things.

Thank you for your help and sorry for all the questions!!!x

June 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

When you get your first Ofsted inspection, she will go through your CRB and want to see some form of ID, I had my passport, she did all mine on computer ready to send off.
    She will assess you and your house and tell you whether she thinks you are suitable to be a Childminder. You then have to wait for the CRB to come back clear before you can start. You also have to wait for your family's CRB's to clear so hubby, or anyone over 16 living with you.

Mine came back in 2 weeks and it took hubbies 12 weeks

I didn't start minding till I had everything in place. Good luck

Nov 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sazhazey View Post
    When you get your first Ofsted inspection, she will go through your CRB and want to see some form of ID, I had my passport, she did all mine on computer ready to send off.
    She will assess you and your house and tell you whether she thinks you are suitable to be a Childminder. You then have to wait for the CRB to come back clear before you can start. You also have to wait for your family's CRB's to clear so hubby, or anyone over 16 living with you.

Mine came back in 2 weeks and it took hubbies 12 weeks

I didn't start minding till I had everything in place. Good luck
    Hi guys and thank you all so much for your help and advice. Have had a chat with the lady at Ofsted this morning and apparently it has all completely changed in the last couple of months - you do need to send your CRB forms in and once they are in and they have processed them then the inspector will contact you to arrange the visit. Ive had loads of CRB's in the past so am hopeful that mine should come back quite quickly - hubby has never had one but has nothing on it and has only had two addresses so hope his isnt too long either - Im keen to get going!!!xx

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

hi
    in relation to CRB i sent mine back before i had my ofsted visit along with an ID verification form, she didnt ask for ID or anything when she came. so maybe it depends on the area you are in as to how it works. why not just phone ofted and ask them, they are really friendly and helpfull.

Nov 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by helen77 View Post
    hi
    in relation to CRB i sent mine back before i had my ofsted visit along with an ID verification form, she didnt ask for ID or anything when she came. so maybe it depends on the area you are in as to how it works. why not just phone ofted and ask them, they are really friendly and helpfull.

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm there Helen!!!??? - Should I be terrified when they come round cos Im sure starting to get that impression!

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aly View Post

I thought that you could get payment as long as it is under 2 hours, as it's classed as babysitting

If it is more than 2 hours then you cannot get payment, or alcohol ??

I'm sure I have read it in a previous post

Jul 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi again. The CRB procedures are changing, I think, and my forms were done through the old system, so the inspector took them and checked everything while she was here.

I was also confused with the NCMA membership... On the form it asked for my registration number and date, etc, yet I couldn't be registered without the NCMA pack, which includes a fire blanket and first aid kit, etc!!! So I rang the council and they said to send the form off, they actually have to verify on the form that you are going through the registration process, so they just give you your membership after that. They ask for a date for your insurance to start, so as I'd been told the CRBs took 6-8 weeks, I put a date 6 weeks ahead, and hoped for the best, lol.

It's really confusing at the beginning, and to be honest, if I hadn't read some of the posts on this site, I would've been in the dark for a lot longer! I asked a few questions on here and got more sense than I had from my local council, or Ofsted!

Keep us posted.xxx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast