Gate at top of stairs
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Gate at top of stairs

Just a silly question really but I have my pre Reg visit on Tuesday and I'm getting the last few things ready.

We have a pressure fitted baby gate at the top of the stairs. You have to step over a bar when you walk through it which my son has mastered with no problems.

Just wondering if you thought I should get a wall hung gate with no bar? Do you think ofsted would prefer it? Actually thinking as I'm writing, I think it would be the safest thing to do....even though it's more set up costs. Would appreciate any advice though.

Jan 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Gate at top of stairs

I have the wall hung gates top and bottom of stairs and at the kitchen door too. We did have the ones you had but OH kept tripping over them and HE decided we needed new ones. I had my pre reg with the old ones ans Mrs O didnt comment.
    The wall hung ones make holes in the wall...and we live in a restored victorian house so OH was a bit miffed. But they come off at weekends (we have no kids) so that was a brucey bonus...just unclip them....no screwing knobs and adjusting them IYKWIM

mandy xxxx
    The bats have left the bell tower.....

Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

hi i have a pressure fitted one top and bottom with a opening in the middle of each not sure what you call them ofsted liked them as when we did toilet trips all doors were closed upstairs and children could stand on landing with fear they fall down. and not all cramped into the loo.
    Im just a littlestar *

July 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I do not have a gate at the top of my stairs. Risk Assessed, no kids allowed up there alone or unsupervised. Have a fear of my DS1 and 2 leaning on a gate and ending up falling down the stairs
    Grindal

Nov 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We don't have stair gates either and have risk assessed this. We've just had our inspection and Ofsted were fine about it. We used to have one of those which you had to stop over but found them to be more of a hazard than a safety measure! x
    Love Shivvie

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont have a stair gate at the top of the stairs - had one in my old house pre-childminding days and my ex in a drunken state took the stairgate down with him and collected me halfway down..... now have RA (ex is still the ex!) in place and Ofsted have never had a problem that I dont have one. I do have one for the bottom but rarely use it and have a RA for that one too

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the pressure ones at the top of my stairs bottom of the stairs and the bit that seperates my lounge and kitchen because its open plan. For me the only time children go upstairs is if they go to the toilet and most the time that is supervised unless they are old enough to go alone.

If Mrs O thinks you should change it she will tell you and then you can change it then if she thinks you should but i wouldn't worry to much x
    KC and the Sunshine Gang is raring to go!

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the replies!! Grindal I know what you mean about kids leaning on the gate a the top, but unfortunately I have a VERY brave 1 year old so I have to have something up there.

I think I will see if she says anything on Tuesday & change it if needed. Thanks again

AUG 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

just had my pre reg inspection on friday and she said they prefer the top stairgate to be in the door way of the room they nap in not at the top of the stairs

its all about risk assessments and safety...its safer for the childif they are left long enough to climb over a stairgate onto a flat floor than over and down the stairs!!

x x x
    Jennie x x

Nov 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a pressure fit gate at the top and get the same thought wht if someone leans on it to hard
    But i have a 13 month old so feel i need it at the minute. Plus i can close it if i need the bathroom with no worrie kids are gonna topple down the stairs, you get use to the bar and mrs O said nothing about them x