Thread: Upstairs?

Registered Childminder since
    May 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Upstairs?

Hi,
    I'm just about to send my application form off but need a bit of advice about whether or not to have my upstairs registered.
    I don't really want to use it and so far have not done a risk assessment for it. I have bought a stair gate to put at the bottom of the stairs for safety and to prevent any children from going upstairs but will OFSTED think this is adequate or will I have to have upstairs registered as well?
    The main reason I do not want upstairs registered is to keep my children's rooms private for them. They have a lot of toys that they're fine about sharing with future mindees, but naturally there are some things that are special to them.
    I'm also wondering about what to do about babies sleeping but since I will have an extra room downstairs from about October onwards I'm hoping that I can manage until then.

Hope someone can help,
    Sally.

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Upstairs?

You do not have to register upstairs or you can register upstairs and not actually use it for childminding. You do not have to use every room that is registered. My last house was fully registered but the minded children did not go upstairs as that was my children's personal area. Speak to the inspector on your pre-reg and see what they suggest. The pre-reg is to answer any questions you have as well as assess your suitabilities.

Good luck

Oct 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi I got my upstairs registered although like you I want to keep my children's rooms private. So I don't intend to let children up there. I was advised to get the whole house registered as you may need to go into a bedroom even just for a short time and if something happened in there (eg accident) you would not be covered if not registered.
    So for peace of mind it is worth getting registered. I also thought I wanted the option if I have a baby or toddler for somewhere quiet for them to sleep.

hope this helps

Sam

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

I have upstairs registered, but I only wanted one room (where the cot is), but I only use the downstairs as I also want to keep my daughters rooms private, also my upstairs bathroom is not up to date.
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

apr 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I live in a townhouse. My Inspector advised me to register the whole house even though none of the children will actually be upstairs on first or second floor. However, in the event of an emergency , say if you needed to get to one of your children upstairs there may be a situation where you would have to take a mindee with you. I would register it but not actually use it.

May 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone for your replies.
    Have just done a risk assessment for my upstairs now. Not got a lot to do. Just need another stair gate and make sure it's kept tidy. All my toiletries and make up are in a bathroom cabinet that's out of reach already. My boys bedrooms do have toys that have small bits like lego but I'll explain to the inspector that upatairs will only be used for sleeping by babies in a cot or under direct supervision, and only very occassionally. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks again,
    Sally.

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

perfect sense! Thats what I have done too, just added a lock on to my bederoom door so no one can get in. At least now we can take child to bed and they wouldnt be distrubed by other children.