DHC Unit 1 Exam Feeling Terrible
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jun 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy DHC Unit 1 Exam Feeling Terrible

I have just got back from writing my Unit 1 DHC Exam at my college. It was terrible. Not one question can i find the answer to in the book we were provided. Not one question appeared on the 4 mock exams I found. I questioned Cache who set this exam as to what handbooks they used and they said its not the one we have used on the course at the college. And yet we write a Cache Multiple choice exam. Questions seem to come from Units 2 - 4 of our book or not at all. Is this fair, is this right? Who can I take this up with as I would assume that Cache students who study directly with Cache have better opportunity to pass these exams as their notes must link directly to the questions. I also noticed in the mock exams which had the answers that some questions were asked 3 times, each time giving you a different correct answer - how does that work and how can that be. To say the least I am upset and don't think, or at least will be suprised if I pass. Everyone in my class felt the same.. Any ideas on who this can be reported to - our concerns that is? When I write the exam again whose to say I will ge the answers right again as I still am none the wiser on what the correct answers were...... Sorry I needed to moan. I am so upset as I thought I was well prepared.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: DHC Unit 1 Exam Feeling Terrible

I think you need to talk to your tutor first of all and find out what the pass rate etc is.

You might find you have passed after all! Fingers crossed for you x

Jun 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sarah. It will be a miracle if I pass. Lets wait and see. I still think it needs to highlighted or escalated in some way. Just need to think of the best way to approach it... Will keep you posted on if I pass or fail.

Apr 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I did DHC exam in March (along with misst104) and found the exam awful!! The handouts that were given in the two day support sessions were useless and hardly one question came out of them! The 25 questions were so ambiguous (sp?) that the answer could have been any one of the options!

Got confirmatio that we passed it a couple of weeks ago which I cant believe but not complaining. I would wait and see what result you get as you might be surprised
    Liz xx

Jun 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Liz. Here's hoping as it really got me down tonight as I am an organised person and I knew my manual we were given inside/out. Watch this space. I believe results only available in 4 weeks.

Mar 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I sat my exam 4th March and felt the same as you. I'm still waiting for my results.

May 09
    Post Thanks / Like

i sat mine last night as well, and found it ok ... a couple of questions stumped me though
    Love Lisa xxx

TheBTeam Guest

My dh sat the exam in november, apart from his driving test over 20 years ago, this is the first exam he has ever sat in his life!!

He was told you needed to get 17 out of 25 correct and on the mocks he was around, just under, just over that figure!

I looked at the mock questions and some of them even the most experienced minders and myself of around 5 years minding struggled to nail an answer.

hopefully by the law of averages you will have passed, but i seriously think the whole question base is a bit questionable!

My husband did pass, much to all our surprise, so hopefully you to will get the same good news.

June 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi

I sat my DHC Unit 1 in March, and all of the girls in my group agreed that none of the questions were clear, all could have had several answers and were not like the questions in the mock papers! I really don't understand how it is going to be fair!

I have double bad news on the DHC front though. As I have been told by my local authority that after paying myself to go on this DHC Unit 1 ICP course it is not acceptable to them and I have to do their unit 1 course as well (even though originally they said it was ok for me to do that course) - so I will have to repeat most of the work again, and yes you guessed it do the whole exam over again - regardless of whether I pass this first exam or not! HEHE!!!!

Dec 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I sat my exam in march I too found it really difficult we had 2 mock exams which I found ok I did 2 online via the cache website but the actual exam flumuxed me the more I looked at a question the more answers I found it was diificult to make a definate choice and my collegues all felt the same many of us had conflicting answers but all of us passed. I had nightmares for weeks after whilst waiting for my results and got a letter last week to confirm I had passed. Many of my fellow childminders who took their test at the college did so via touch screen and got a print out of pass of fail at the end of the test a bit like your driving theory test we had to do it the old fasioned way and its the waiting that kills. Iam sure you will have passed.
    Dest of luck Debs

May '09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

When I did my exam last Dec, we all walked out convinced we had failed, analysed the answers and couldn't agree on what was the right one. Even our tutor said she didn't know a couple of times.

Anyhow, I passed, as has everyone else that I have come across, so have confidence in yourself

xx

Apr 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD!!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zoomie View Post
    When I did my exam last Dec, we all walked out convinced we had failed, analysed the answers and couldn't agree on what was the right one. Even our tutor said she didn't know a couple of times.

Anyhow, I passed, as has everyone else that I have come across, so have confidence in yourself

xx

Sounds just like when we all came out of ours!! Our tutor said it was a particularly difficult one (due to the ambiguity of most the questions ) but all the folks I keep in touch with passed! I agree that you should be fine. I hope it doesn't take too long for the results to get to you

xxx
    Brrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!

Jun 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your vote of confidence. Fingers, thumbs, toes and legs crossed then!! I'll keep you all posted.
    Thank you

july 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: DHC Unit 1 Exam Feeling Terrible

please don't feel too down. Ihad a bad feeling about my exam. Ifelt that the answers could have been a few of the choices. But i passed. Fingers crossed you will too. Sending you lots of luck!!!!
    katieskatie xx

Apr 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tinytoescm View Post
    Thank you all for your vote of confidence. Fingers, thumbs, toes and legs crossed then!! I'll keep you all posted.
    Thank you
    I'm sure you'll be fine and pass with flying colour!!! If I can pass then ANYONE can
    Liz xx

Post Thanks / Like

I had my exam tonight and i fell exactly the same way - some questions could easily have 3 correct answers, who knows if ill pass

Apr 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jen4Kids View Post
    I had my exam tonight and i fell exactly the same way - some questions could easily have 3 correct answers, who knows if ill pass
    Thats exactly how I felt and it turned out ok Its the waiting for the results now!
    Liz xx

Pipsqueak Guest

From where i have been shadowing the tutor on the ICP, I done the mock exams along with the pre-reggies and the questions are very, almost deliberately vague and yes it could come down to any of the answers BUT its to get you thinking as a childminder. The answers could almost be any of the answers but only 1 is going to be correct when you are wearing your childminders hat.
    It seems to almost veer the other way as well though - the more experienced you are the harder you have to think about your answers!

ps proud to say though that I only got 1 wrong phew

Sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I sat mine on wednesday and must say it really made me think. I too don't think that i have passed but who knows. I do feel they need to go into more detail on the course and maybe make the sessions a bit longer.