idiots guide to an assistant...
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default idiots guide to an assistant...

As the title says. I need an idiots guide to getting an assistant. I have someone in mind who is level 2.. working towards her level 3.

How does it work. Do i contact ofsted. They do the police check? Would you believe i am a good registered childminder but this .. i can not makr head nor tail of it!!!

Are they then my employee.. i have to pay tax, national insurance... etc... im so confused pleaee help me!!! Xxx

Registered Childminder since
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Try out Sarah's thread on this below

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/fo...nt-advice.html

Jun 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_Knight View Post
    Try out Sarah's thread on this below

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/fo...nt-advice.html
    I don't suppose there is an idiots guide anywhere to combining work with another registered minder is there? It is something a minder friend and I have discussed doing once we both return from maternity leave but we just can't figure out how it would work. The theory sounds good, sharing paperwork, toys, resources etc but not sure how practical it would be for things like expenses, sickness cover, payment etc.

Sorry to op for hijacking your thread x

Mar 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have an assistant, you need t a EY2 form, download one from Ofsted website. Send it in with 2 referees . She also needs to have an updated first aid cert , mine has safeguarding too because she is level 3. I helped my assistant become self employed by registering her with Inland Revenue, that way she is responsible for her own tax etc, normally have very little to pay after expenses depending how much you pay her. Next tax year 10,000 is allowed before tax is paid but she will have to pay Nation Insurance. Good luck, not a hard thing to do but very nice having an helping hand and some support! Kids love her too

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HelenG View Post
    I don't suppose there is an idiots guide anywhere to combining work with another registered minder is there? It is something a minder friend and I have discussed doing once we both return from maternity leave but we just can't figure out how it would work. The theory sounds good, sharing paperwork, toys, resources etc but not sure how practical it would be for things like expenses, sickness cover, payment etc.

Sorry to op for hijacking your thread x
    This might help?

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/fo...-together.html

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys.. will have a look :-)

Jun 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_Knight View Post
    Thank you x

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bindy View Post
    I have an assistant, you need t a EY2 form, download one from Ofsted website. Send it in with 2 referees . She also needs to have an updated first aid cert , mine has safeguarding too because she is level 3. I helped my assistant become self employed by registering her with Inland Revenue, that way she is responsible for her own tax etc, normally have very little to pay after expenses depending how much you pay her. Next tax year 10,000 is allowed before tax is paid but she will have to pay Nation Insurance. Good luck, not a hard thing to do but very nice having an helping hand and some support! Kids love her too
    Hi!!

Do you pay your assistant minimum wage? Or can you pay her what you get a child.. so i have three children.. would need assistant to have 4 under 5.. so as its only 1 extra she can be paid for that child? Im so confused ha ha!!

Im going to.print off form tonight.. they wont have a sutability check will they because im responsible? And will the conditions of my certificate change?

Xx

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi I was just wondering what the minimum age of an assistant? I know someone who would be perfect but think shes too young x

Jun 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I had to check this with Ofsted recently, an assistant needs to be at least 17, otherwise although they are only able to observe.

My soon to be assistant is just turning 17 and the only thing I've found is that even with first aid training she can only only have sole care (2 hours) of children in EYFS age group, not older children. This is because a requirement of the Childcare Register is that anyone under 18 is supervised at all times.

pre reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bindy View Post

Can I please ask.....As we as a Childminder are self employed, how were you able to register your assistant as self employed also, as don't you have to pay employers tax etc? Also, how do you work out then what they are paid as they are self employed do you allocate them say 1 child's fees?? Help would be greatly appreciated with this