Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Taking on a child who has not had routine vaccinations

Hi

I have taken on a new child, baby will be 9 months old when they start. The parents have decided not to immunise the baby.

Should I mention anything about children who have not been immunised in any of my policies? I was thinking that maybe I need to be extra cautious about when they need to be sent home etc. I have had no experience of serious illness with mindees and am worried that I might miss some symptoms and the child become ill very quickly.

Pipsqueak Guest

its parental choice at the end of the day. I would not refuse to take on an unvaccinated child nor do I have anything in my policies about it.

i would perhaps swot up on some illness symptoms(such as what they get vacc'd for) so you can be prepared. Have you been fully vaccinated... people of a certain generation we missed or didn't get certain vacc's. I have never had mumps nor was I vaccinated for example. therefore whilst I can't prevent it I would take precautions and be vigilent.

Registered Childminder since
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Its an interesting one, I have never had an un vacinated child. It will be interesting when they go to school because some schools are insisting all vacs are up-to-date.

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    It will be interesting when they go to school because some schools are insisting all vacs are up-to-date.
    How can they do that? Surely that is prejudism?

One of my mindees has not had any vaccinations, parents made me aware on the forms they filled in, I do not treat him any differently to any other child. Parents decided not to have him vaccinated following his older sister getting measles twice and she was vaccinated! I guess it's individuals choice! He is only 13 months old, but he is a healthy little chap!
    Francine X

Penny1959 Guest

I have looked after un vaccinated children - did not have any issues nor did I change policies as is parental choice - however I did make the parents aware that as I care for a group of children there was a higher risk of their child catching something - than they would if did not use childcare.

In fact neither of the two children concerned caught anything while attending my setting

Penny

ReReg10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD :)
    Post Thanks / Like

i used to mind a non vaccinated child and he never had any health issues,

my son (fully vaccinated) was one of the unfortunate few in our city that contracted Mumps 4 years ago, he was really ill but his mate (the non vaccinated one) never caught it yet they were in close contact for 7 hours a day during the incubation period!
    What a crock!!!

sept 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

parents should state this on the child record form
    CWR

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There was a letter sent to high school pupils recently which said that children who hadn't had vaccines couldn't go on school trips abroad any more.

Also local doctors won't always register them.

However from a childminding point of view it wouldn't worry me