Breach of confidentiality or world gone mad....
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Breach of confidentiality or world gone mad....

Only just seen this thread!

I think I have this covered in my 'sharing information with other settings and people' e.g.

Types of information shared:

your child's favourite activities - this helps with planning of activities for our Group Meetings.

Your child's birthday - if it falls on a meeting day we will have a little 'party'

trouble is the list could be endless - should we not tell another child/parent that child 'a' has gone on holiday and where?
    Pauline x

Nov 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I just put in my newletter...

This month we are celebrating Max's birthday...& don't give age or date...
    hth
    Blaze x

Feb o7
    Post Thanks / Like

World gone completely 100 per cent,stark staring mad.

Is this an April fools joke?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well we have all waited very patiently and have been rewarded with a reply...

Dear Ms xx,

Thank you for your query.

You asked -

“The enquiry I am making relates directly to confidentiality and whether Ofsted inspectors are advised by Ofsted that childminders (and other settings) should or should not share information about children's birthdays through their displays or newsletters with other families in the setting.”

Directorate's reply -

We do not advise or provide guidance to our childcare inspectors on confidentiality in relation to children’s birthdays. As the regulator we inspect providers to ensure that they comply with the law, regulations and conditions of their registration.

We advise you to discuss this matter with the parents of the children that you mind in order to assess whether they would consider this a breach of confidentiality. As well as being aware of the need to maintain privacy and confidentiality, page 23 of the EYFS statutory framework states that you should maintain a regular two-way flow of information with parents.

If you are not able to resolve this matter by asking the parents of the children you care for then, as previously indicated, we suggest you contact the ICO.

So if you follow Pauline's suggestions in her 'sharing information with other settings and people' policy sample (in Policy Writing ideas ... free downloads... at the top of the forum) and parents are happy with this, then you will be fine

June 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    6 and 5's
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alibali View Post
    I have a birthday chart on my wall with all the kids birthdays on them!
    I also have a claendar which I make on Birthdays and my policy is to ceklrate with a party each mindees birthday. No complaints so far.

Claire

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by claireLouise View Post
    I also have a claendar which I make on Birthdays and my policy is to ceklrate with a party each mindees birthday. No complaints so far.

Claire
    I have been doing a lot of research on this since the question was initially asked.

While a birthday chart is lovely and i have one on my wall, it is not inclusive for all children and maybe we need to think about this.

For example, we need to think how we would be inclusive if a family came to see us who have a child being brought up in eg a Jehovah's Witness family. If this happened, parents would state that their child would not be allowed to join in birthday celebrations and we might even lose the work because we make such a show of celebrating birthdays.

It is good to consider these things and work out a way to adjust what we do in case something like this happens.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12