Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    oct 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Going cruelty-free and anti antibacterial

I have decided that I am going to only use cruelty free products in 2013.

I particularly like the method products who do not have anti bacterial products in their range. Having done a bit of research it seems that ordinary soap offers the same protection against germs as anti bac.

I am concerned however as all my policies state that I disinfect toys/changing mats/toilet seats etc. These are easily changed I know but does anyone know if these are preferred items by OFSTED? And not sure how to tackle the parents about my new lifestyle as some are a bit concerned about the spread of infection?

Get fed up sometimes that childminding impacts on everything I try to do in my life.....

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hot water will do the job just as well at antibac.

I have it in my policies that I will clean the toys etc I dont say how or what I will use to do so

If you want to go anti bacterial free dont let childminding stop you. I fact chemical free has as many benefits as using it
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

3. Likes mum24 liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am not aware of ofsted having a preference as long as you can confidently talk about how you keep children safe and healthy.

However, some local authority food hygiene trainers require anti bac for handwashing - and there's something in safer food better business for childminders I am sure -sorry i'm not on my comp so I can't check the wording -it's one of the new bits if you can find christine e's thread.

Hth

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

6. Likes eddie liked this post
    Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

There's many natural things you can use lemon juice, bicarb etc but when environmental health came she said about the anti bac soap in the kitchen but I would google natural things for cleaning

8. Likes mum24 liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You really need to check what you local EHO will find acceptable, especially in the light of the new FSA standards outlined by Sarah.

I'm no bio-chemist, but here's the 'science bit' (cue a smiling Jennifer Aniston flicking back her hair.) There are many different "natural" ways (and I use that word very guardedly) of killing bacteria: acid, sugar, heat, oxygen, lack of oxygen, etc. But each will only kill certain types of bacteria and leave all the others alive.

The beauty of anti-bacterial synthetic products is that they combine enough of these to destroy most (though still not all) bacteria. That said, there are concerns in some quarters that we could be heading towards a similar situation that we've created with the overuse of anti-biotics which is encouraging resistance in some germs.

I do admire your attempt to go "cruelty free" but it is practically impossible to do to any great degree.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have noticed on some anti bac soaps that they say "natural anti bac properties" I haven't got one at the moment but my Cussons Carex moisure plus handwash - doesn't say it is anti bac soap but does say on it kills 99.9% of bacteria - I have this in my kitchen.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    I have noticed on some anti bac soaps that they say "natural anti bac properties" I haven't got one at the moment but my Cussons Carex moisure plus handwash - doesn't say it is anti bac soap but does say on it kills 99.9% of bacteria - I have this in my kitchen.
    A lot of words on products have no particular meaning in terms of a trade description, or they may have dubious or multiple meanings. e.g. natural, traditional, fresh, healthy-looking, organic (which seems to be the one most cleverly designed to confuse or mislead), and so on, and so on. The most important function of these words is to make consumers feel nice, warm and fuzzy about buying them, which is all the manufacturers really want.

I'm not sure that "natural" actually means anything in terms of trade/product description. But it may be literally (scientifically) correct to state that a synthetic product has "natural anti-bacterial properties" anyway. The natural property of an acid is to kill certain types of bacteria, whether that acid is derived from citrus fruits or synthetically manufactured in a chemical works.

12. Likes hectors house liked this post
    oct 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks for all the replies. I have found that some BUAV approved products have anti bac qualities. I have read that the overuse of anti bacterial products can lead to immunity in bacteria and they also kill beneficial hand bacteria as well so are not always the best way forward.

I would disagree that it is virtually impossible to go cruelty free - I already only use BUAV approved cosmetics,skin care and am changing my household products slowly. I'm not doing it to be or to bash people who chose not to, it's just something I believe in and any small change I can make for animal welfare is a step in the right direction.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It's worth getting hold of a good book and making your own cosmetics products if you're interested. You gain the added benefit of slowing down and developing an understanding of ingredients, etc. and being more in touch with things instead of merely 'consuming' - a bit like the 'slow food' and 'slow travel' movements.

A lot of people who support animal welfare frankly aren't happy with the terms of reference for BUAV endorsements of many products.

It depends how far you want to take it but, as you say, any change is a good move.

Naturewatch.org (who incidentally are running a campaign to boycott some of the products/companies which BUAV endorses) publish a nice little guide on how to make your own home-made fresh toiletries. Not sure if it's still on sale, but ebay/amazon might have 2nd hand copies, and I'm sure other publications are out there too.

15. Likes eddie liked this post
    Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

For your toys and resources a simple steam cleaner will kill relevant bacteria. Hot water will clean away any dirt, with vinegar, lemon juice etc for degreasing. Items still clean and hygenic.
    I have never bought into the whole anti bac, and masses of spray cleaner etc. We are a natural family. Although I have recently started to use the hand gel stuff when I handle my snakes.....just to make sure I don't give them an illness they cannot fight off. Although we do use washing up detergent, and shampoo too.

June 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't do the whole sterile thing. I use hot water and detergent to clean but not one of those that kills 99% of bacteria. I never do the hand gel thingy. Soap and water do a good job as well. My daughter is allergic to the hand gel ... it makes her skin very dry and even blistery. It's my home ... not an operating theatre. My house is clean and tidy and that's how I like it.

sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

My personal opinion is that by creating a sterile environment will only lead to other problems later on - such as immunity. It is by being exposed to germs and bugs we build up a natural immunity, but by essentially wiping out all these our bodies can't develop what it needs to to deal with them. I have used green products for cleaning since my daughter was born due to her awful eczema and mainly use Method products with microfibre cloths, and a steam cleaner. Many of my childminding toys are cleaned in the dishwasher or in cold water steriliser. Cuddly toys are frozen every now and then to kill off any dust mites.