Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Laminating paperwork and evidence

Hi, I have been reading quite a lot lately about experienced, long time childminders who are laminating things like their RA's, cleaning schedules and safety checks. I think the idea is absolutely fantastic and would certainly save on paperwork but I wanted to ask two questions before deciding whether to try it out at my setting.

1) I assume you would laminate one sheet and check it daily, amending and adding any issues then I assume the following month you would just delete everything you had previously written? so you're just using one sheet for RA's, one sheet for cleaning etc...on a regular basis

2) Where would the proof be that you had in fact done the previous month's paperwork? Are ofsted actually okay with just seeing the present paperwork? I thought we had to save this type of paperwork, if not that would be fantastic!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to have a laminated Daily RA Sheet which I used a marker pen on and cleaned off everyday. I got bored to death with doing it so I stopped.

Last year just before my inspection I added my daily check list to my RA folder with a note on it explaining that this was what I did every morning. They were more than happy (I got outstanding in all areas of keeping safe) that I did not have a physical list to tick off every day. I used to transfer this onto a paper record but I don't do this anymore either.

If I note something that needs to be changed it is noted on the main RA for that room or area with the action taken, I then initial and date.

Aren't RAs and Safety Checks the same thing?

Because any actions required are noted down then that is all you need.

I am a great believer in reducing paperwork to the minimum. We all work long hours as it is why prolong the work?

Sept 08
    Post Thanks / Like

What sort of things do you note down? I do my daily checks each day and if something needs doing (e.g a socket cover not on) then I just do it - I don't write down that I've done it. Am I doing something wrong?

jumpinjen Guest

I also have laminated daily checks and my 'component RA's' ( a way I've developed that suits me - not sure if anyone else does it that way). Like Ricky, I DON'T physically tick off or initial them, I hold them in my RA folder to show what checks I make - if anything needs changing it is noted on my premises RA which I am going to continue doing as a written document and updating annually and when new children start or significant changes are made. You seem to think that we use it as a 'wipe-clean' board type arrangement - personally I would find that tiresome!

Jen x

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by liz79 View Post
    What sort of things do you note down? I do my daily checks each day and if something needs doing (e.g a socket cover not on) then I just do it - I don't write down that I've done it. Am I doing something wrong?
    It would be something fairly major that was noted down I can't think of anything off hand because I have never needed to. I don't use socket covers so don't need to note that!! I think that's why I stopped doing the daily laminated check list, it was a waste of time!

Post Thanks / Like

My daily RA sheet is also laminated but only so it doesn't get tatty. I use it much the same as Jen

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I do the same - I only note any problems / changes if neccessary ( rarely!) and thats just in my diary unless its something so major my house RA needs amending. its called exception reporting , much like the safer food better business folder - only write down if there are any issues.
    Daily Ticklists are a complete waste of time imo - they show nothing apart from that there was ink in your pen!

Dec 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have it written in the front of my register and then tick each day to say I have checked it. I have things like

check temp of radiators
    floors clean, free from clutter and no small items (when there are babies)
    stair gate shut
    knives away in the kitchen
    Paula

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I wasn't being clear when saying RA's, my fault ...I meant the ras for school runs, walking, parks, outings, car journeys etc....

I am definetely going to laminate my daily check and cleaning schedule, just wondering whether to actually write down on the laminate itself if any issues i.e. fence broken or wires hanging down on the sheet so I at least have some form of record in case the inspector pops around in that particular month... then wipe it off or actually keep a record of it....with regards to the RA's, I assumed you had these laminated too and just wrote down hazards as and when, wiped them off for the next RA.???

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    I used to have a laminated Daily RA Sheet which I used a marker pen on and cleaned off everyday. I got bored to death with doing it so I stopped.

Last year just before my inspection I added my daily check list to my RA folder with a note on it explaining that this was what I did every morning. They were more than happy (I got outstanding in all areas of keeping safe) that I did not have a physical list to tick off every day. I used to transfer this onto a paper record but I don't do this anymore either.

If I note something that needs to be changed it is noted on the main RA for that room or area with the action taken, I then initial and date.

Aren't RAs and Safety Checks the same thing?

Because any actions required are noted down then that is all you need.

I am a great believer in reducing paperwork to the minimum. We all work long hours as it is why prolong the work?