Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jun 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default First Inspection grades

I invited the Early Years Consultant from my LA round this week to see how I am getting on and to give me a mini-ofsted before they ring, to give me a chance to make any changes and act on any glaring errors.

I was hoping to get graded Outstanding.

However, she said that I Ofsted don't give outstanding to first inspections and that new childminders should be happy with satisfactory.

I am not at all happy at this, as I have worked very hard to get all the paperwork and systems in place. I used to be a Teaching Assistant and my husband is a Primary Teacher, I have been into his Nursery and EYFS unit, and I am currently doing ABOVE and BEYOND what they are doing.

Am I wrong to be annoyed at this comment? What where your first ofsted gradings?
    Caterpillar

03jan11
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldnt worry about what she said, just let it make you more determined to get that "Outstanding" I just had my first inspection last week and got a "good"

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There is a paragraph in the Ofsted inspector's handbook which talks about first inspection grades - it is possibly this that your local person has read.

it says that new childminders rarely have their practice embedded sufficiently to gain more than satisfactory... a better grade will be gained once they have been working longer and have updated and reviewed their SEF based on experience and knowledge.

Having said that, some childminders do get more than satisfactory at their first inspection - it should, however, never be expected. There is absolutely nothing wrong with satisfactory - lots of excellent childminders have this grade.

The best ways to aim towards a higher grade are to sell yourself and your provision, do your SEF and do more than the statutory requirements.

I hope this helps

Jan 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

it does seem that 'good' is the standard at the moment but it does mean that you are strongly adhereing to everything and if you have just started minding how can you know it all and have no room for improvement? (which is what a satifactory means)

but actually i got good first time around and many many others have. It does sound like inspectors are trying to stop people being upset at a satisfactory as it is a healty pass. Like a 2:2 instead of a 2:1

Aim high, and fingers crossed.

sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

i got outstanding for my first inspection which i had after 6 months so it can be done but she did say it was the first she had given to a newbee, i also got outstanding this time around on my second one. PM me if you want to ask any questions and i will help if i can Anna
    foxy

Feb 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I received an outstanding for my first inspection, although the inspector said she usually gives satisfactory for most first visits

Don't let it put you off, you should carry on aiming for outstanding!

Jun 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for all your comments.

I will strive for outstanding!
    Caterpillar

July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default First Inspection over - relieved but frastrated too

I just had my first inspection and I have experience in the Early Years as primary school teacher. I have worked really hard getting everything and don't feel she gave me enough time to go through it all and didn't seem to ask me many questions either. She was nice but maybe this throw me.
    She said I had a good with outstanding, when I asked what I would need to get outstanding, she said it was normal to get satisfactory and not possible to get outstanding first inspection. She did say I could take this up with Ofsted. She didn't have time to feedback, she arrived at 10.13 and left at 11.55 when I needed to do Nursery run, she said she would call me to give me feedback, I told her I finished at 6.30pm and its nearly 9pm and no phone call.

I am happy with good with outstanding but depends on her feedback to whether I feel she just hadn't find the relevant documents and not asked.

Sorry my rants over and breath

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I got outstanding in all areas, after minding for just over 3 months (had been reg for nearly 6 mths), earlier this year; so what you were told is just not true. It is possible- I did my SEF in a lot of details which helped me... although the inspector was giving me hard time because she wanted me to justify to her why I had not graded myself outstanding in all areas in my SEF . I'd advise you to do the SEF (it is a pain but puts you in a very well-prepared position) and blow your own trumpet loud and clear, boast your heart out and sell yourself! If you think you are outstanding then say so and find evidence to back it up. Good luck

July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    I got outstanding in all areas, after minding for just over 3 months (had been reg for nearly 6 mths), earlier this year; so what you were told is just not true. It is possible- I did my SEF in a lot of details which helped me... although the inspector was giving me hard time because she wanted me to justify to her why I had not graded myself outstanding in all areas in my SEF . I'd advise you to do the SEF (it is a pain but puts you in a very well-prepared position) and blow your own trumpet loud and clear, boast your heart out and sell yourself! If you think you are outstanding then say so and find evidence to back it up. Good luck
    Yes I did say this to her, as I know one personal and heard of other childminders who got Outstanding first inspection, she replied that I could take this up with Ofsted. I think that if I had completed my SEF then that would have helped lots. So this is probably what let me down and it is hard to cover everything in short time space.

Never mind, happy to others to prove her wrong.

Penny1959 Guest

It is indeed possible to get an outstanding at first inspection - just look on here - however it is very rare due to most childminders not having time to gather enough evidence - especially in all areas.

So satisfactory is the more usual grade first time round - and as Sarah says nothing wrong with a satisfactory at all. There is so much to get your head around in my opinion it is an achievement to get a satisfactory - so anyone getting good aspects or good overall is doning fanatasic - and those getting Good with outstanding aspects have done extremely well.

Also it is worth looking a bit deeper at some of the outstanding grades - as sometimes - but not always the person is working in an established setting as a co minder or has lots of other relevant experience - so in these cases not starting from scratch - which has to help with the providing the evidence required.

I consider my own grading to come under this - having been registered previously and worked for NCMA and LA - so a bit of an advantage. However I did not expect to get outstanding (hoped to but thought it unlikely due to the limited time that had been gather evidence of meeting the children's needs and recording progress and next steps)

In my opinion - the only time there is an issue is if the inspector tells you before the inspection that he / she never gives more than a satisfactory at first inspection - as this is pre judging - and that inspector should be shown the door

Penny