Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    sept 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default parents cant afford deposit

hi everone, just wanted you lot to make me feel a bit better really.had some parents came to visit me last week about their baby starting in may, well they have said yes they want to use me ,so arrange for contracts to be signed today they phoned this morning to say they would come at 4pm so i said fine and i reminded her about the deposit which she all ready new about and she said could she pay it next month what with it being christmas time,i said no, deposit is paid when contracts are signed so there gona have to wait till next month now n their hoping that i will keep a place for them. please tell me im not mean cause i really feel lk i am but ive been messed about by two lots of parents before cause i didnt take a deposit.

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi ,
    You're not mean. Its not as if they didn't know about the deposit. For all they know you may have been turning away other families thinking they would be signing up and paying a deposit today. Stay strong. If another family do come along in the meantime I would see them as normal and take on the family who seem best to work with. I wouldn't be giving the first family first dibs, as they've already shown they can't be trusted and upfront with you about issues. Rude if you ask me. Hopefully you being strict now will have nipped in the bud any possible attempts to mess you about in the future if they do end up with you

Well done for not getting railroaded

best wishes,
    Wendy

sept 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by florabird View Post
    Hi ,
    You're not mean. Its not as if they didn't know about the deposit. For all they know you may have been turning away other families thinking they would be signing up and paying a deposit today. Stay strong. If another family do come along in the meantime I would see them as normal and take on the family who seem best to work with. I wouldn't be giving the first family first dibs, as they've already shown they can't be trusted and upfront with you about issues. Rude if you ask me. Hopefully you being strict now will have nipped in the bud any possible attempts to mess you about in the future if they do end up with you

Well done for not getting railroaded

best wishes,
    Wendy
    thank you wendy for that kind comment . being messed about by parents does make you stronger

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a family who told me they couldn't pay the month upfront so being a softy I charged them in arrears - don't ever do that! I am now being paid weekly in arrears as the monthly just wasn't working out at all - sometimes I didn't get paid at all! Lesson learnt

June 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm the same. I had one today who showed up to do contracts and she hadn't brought her bag. I told her I wouldn't sign the contracts until I had the deposit. The family I was soft with I've just given notice to for being bad payers - the job is stressful enough! I think this woman will pay and it was a genuine mistake, but she knows I have two other people wanting the space - so hopefully won't mess me about.

Oct 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I personally don't take a deposit when contracts are signed but business is quiet here so I haven't had anyone fighting for spaces. I maybe would if there was more business
    love Sarah.

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say as you did but tell them that if I have other enquiries ending in possible contract signing, I would let them know and give them the chance to pay just one more time - if not, take on others.

Would seem reasonable to me
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

Jul 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

You've done the right thing, don't feel mean about it. It's your business and you shouldn't be messed about, I'm sure they wouldn't have expected a nursery to sign contracts but wait for the deposit.
    Stay strong, if they are genuine they'll be back to you with the money.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

If the contract states that a deposit is due then to me the contract is not in place until it is paid and received by yourself

Personally I would have completed the paperwork and had the deposit next month, especially as the child is not coming until May.
    Debbie

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

Can you not take half the deposit and then they pay the next half just before May?
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

mar 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i recently took a deposit in 3 payments, mum was starting uni and childcare is funded so i knew they were struggling to find deposit. i dont mind helping out when people are genuine and honest upfront. this mum also pays in arrears but no problems at all touch wood!

dec 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by funemnx View Post
    I have a family who told me they couldn't pay the month upfront so being a softy I charged them in arrears - don't ever do that! I am now being paid weekly in arrears as the monthly just wasn't working out at all - sometimes I didn't get paid at all! Lesson learnt
    I know what you mean, I don't charge a deposit and mum pays me weekly supposedly on a wed, what a nightmare trying to get my money every week and of course now I'm on hols until 3rd jan, has she payed me this week nooooooo, here I go again with text after text, voice mail after voice mail to try and be payed, every hols it's the same, it really does my head in,lol. X