Declining number of childminder in my area
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Declining number of childminder in my area

The number of childminder are dropping in my area and i was wondering if anyone was thinking of leaving childminding and if so why?

What do you think could be done to encourage these people to stay?

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Declining number of childminder in my area

Has your area historically had too many cms for the demand? I know this has happened in some areas because local authorities have had to register anyone who is suitable regardless of the local need for cms.

Are any of them going underground and now working unregistered? This is happening in our area and I live in a fairly well off middle class area. I must say I was shocked to hear it was happening.

I know our development workers are watching them and will report them. It doesn't seem to have affected those of us who are working properly thank goodness.

I really do wonder at the parents who use these people. They can't get any Tax Credits either because they are using unregistered care. Do they not realise these 'carers' are not insured either. It is a disaster waiting to happen if you ask me.

may 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

There are a number of childminders in my area that have given up mainly due to being retirement age and having to do the EYFS. I think many of them would have carried on for a while longer if they didnt have to 'do' EYFS!

Nikki x

Feb04
    Post Thanks / Like

According to our childminding support officer, there used to be around 500 cm's in this area but since EYFS introduced it has dropped to around 300 and is still dropping (This sounds ok in numbers but you are talking about Hambleton and Ryedale area, which is a large area!).
    This is not uncommon across the whole of Britain from what she has told us!!
    In our local area (small town and surrounding villages) there are 25 childminders!
    The biggest complaint is to do with the added paperwork and that we are not paid enough to do it!! ( I am still trying to find ways to cut down the time on paperwork ).

Jun 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Grade 6
    Post Thanks / Like

Wish it was the same here, there just seems to be more and more childminders in our area and not enough children to go round!
    Ali xx

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

Same in my area, loads of childminders but not many children, not even for the local pre-schools! On net-mums someone was asking about becoming a childminder.
    I pointed her towards our Forum so she could decide
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Oct 06
    Post Thanks / Like

Although the number of childminders seem to be decreasing there doesn't seem to be alot of work out there at the moment. I've lost a couple and because I'm not sure if I can take on another 2 have potentially lost a family that could have started with me in September. I wish Ofsted would answer to queries more promptly. I could do with the money as am now down to £112 a month and with everything that goes out it barely touches it. I think around here aswell there has also been an influx of childminders which doesn't help, but hey ho I'm sure something will turn up.

Apr 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I wish they were declining in my area, it's saturated with cm's round here Will ask my DO what the score is next time I speak to her.

xx

Pipsqueak Guest

Nope not declining in my area either, (in actual fact I think its increasing ) - wish some of them would though
    a) there are too many
    b) some of them I wouldn't leave a bin bag with and they are a disgrace to the name 'childminder' and I HATE being tarred with the same brush

oct 96
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

In the childminding circles I am hearing more and more leaving because of the EYFS - too much paperwork and what is expected of them for what they get. Some have just gone to over 5's and other say it just is ridiculous what is expected of us. Childminders that are staying would like to get out if they could because of it all. I'm afraid not one is enthusiastic anymore like they used to be - sad by true and they are lovely caring mothers with so much to give.
    Clorogue

Pipsqueak Guest

Going to throw the cat in with the pigeons here -
    Yes I accept that some are quittng because of EYFS - being a daunting thing but I suspect many (not all) are quitting because they know they just can't cut the mustard. Its no longer acceptable for them to just plonk the kids in front of the tv and collect payment for knowing nothing about the kids they care for. In other words they are going to show themselves up.

I know what I have just said is pretty harsh and I in no way mean it to be derogatory to those who are trying hard. There are many minders who are working their way through it who were originally scared witless by it and I take my hat of to them, in actual fact I have terrific respect for all us minders who a year on are here and still finding our way.