Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: bed wetting

Registered Childminder since
    jan 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Default bed wetting

my 5 year old daughter was dry in the day at 18 months old but still needs a nappy at night

she sleeps so deep which i think is the problem

when i have discussed this with some other parents of the same age have said that their child is the same

i was just wondering how common a problem this is and if anyone has any advice.

drs have said they will not do anything until she is 7 years old, my other two children did not have this problem.

cathy

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: bed wetting

You're right they don't do anything until the child is 7 nowadays - which always seems a long time to me, but they reckon 1 in 4 children aged 5 are still not dry at night...

Can you cut down what she's drinking in the evening, so she drinks her fill during the day and has her last big drink with tea? Then she won't have too much in her system at night...

Sure others have better ideas... my 2 were a long time ago!

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I didn't have this with my own children but I know from friends that it is quite common so try not to worry.

Miffy xx

Mar 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    Friend
    Post Thanks / Like

my sons friend was still wet at night until he was 11 just his thing i suppose every child is different

Post Thanks / Like

My daughter used to wet the bed ( crikey hope she does not come and read this she will have a fit )

Sometimes it is so difficult - you try everything you can think of
    Everyone gives advice.
    Stop the late night drinks - which I would expect you are doing
    Wake them up during the night
    The list goes on and on

Then there are the nights when you are so tired and you are a bit snappy and fed up
    You just want your child to stop
    Then you are patient and know how horrible it must be for them

My daughter used to go into a deep sleep too

I never put nappies on her at that age and I am not sure that is a good thing to do
    Maybe you could use protective bedding now and explain that she is a big girl
    The nappies could be holding her back a little - she has no reason to even bother to get out of bed does she ?

I would do that protective bedding and pants at night
    Take her to the toilet when she goes to bed
    Then wake her when you go to bed
    I actually used to set my alarm for around 3.30am and take my daughter again it did help such a lot

Then keep reminding her of it all the time

Do not get cross and do not make a big deal out of it
    It might take a while but be patient you will get there

Angel xx
    Last edited by angeldelight; 17-01-2008 at 12:05 PM.

Jan 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if this is true but was told by two health visters that if you potty train a child to early then that child might regress back in wetting as a comforter? as it's was not the time to get the child out of a nappy. She did say if you force a child to use a potty or toilet it's a form of abuse and the child will suffer in laiter life and revert back to wetting as the child remembers when he or she was happy?

My sisster as four children and three was potty trained early and had bed wetting problems but the one that came out of nappies at the age of 3 1/2 had no promblems.

I don't know if this is right is just what i've been told.

John.

Aug 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I was having this conversation with someone the other day too.

He was saying that his eldest daughter is 6 and has the same problem and the docs won't do anything until she's 7.

I did a lot of research about this last year for various reasons and it's actually very, very common. In fact, I found out that surprisingly it's very common for adults to wet the bed too and not just aged people either. It's just a very taboo subject so people don't realise.

I think they advise to try not to worry about it, just accept it for the time being and act very casually about changing the sheets, etc.

Other than that I can't help I'm afraid.

I hope that your daughter is okay and this doesn't upset her too much, hopefully it will correct itself in due course.

Sorry I can't help you any more on this.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure John

All my children were potty trained early for the simple reason I had them so very close in age so I did not want a few of them in nappies at any one time so it worked for me

Only my daughter wet the bed and I still say it was because she went into a deep sleep and had a weak bladder she just needed to go a lot.... she is still the same now... not wetting the bed of course haha but still needs to go a lot during the night

Angel xx

jan 07
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks for all the replies

i have ....... cut out late drinks
    taken nappies/ pj pants off for weeks at a time ( she does not wake up in the night even when her bed and pj's are wet!!!!!

health visitor even said to make sure she drinkd plenty in the day to make her bladder stronger

she is my third and although i did potty train my eldest at 20 months (he has had no problems bed wetting) i decided that i would not do it again with my others as that early however both my daughters stopped at about 18 months wetting in the day and going on the potty very early i know!!!

cathy

Mar 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    Friend
    Post Thanks / Like

maybe shes not ready, and needs more time

Nov 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

C is now 8 & apart from a very rare accident (normally when she has dreamt she is on the toilet) doesn't have this problem. However, when she was 5 she did because she is a heavy sleeper & also just carried on sleeping in a puddle! I put her in pull ups at bedtime, overtime the times they were wet in the morning became less frequent& she just grew out of it. I wouldn't advise a reward chart as it's something they can't really control if they are asleep & it may cause distress at not progressing IYSWIM. A friend at the same time had a similar problem with her daughter & like Angel used to wake the child up & take them to the toilet ...again they grew out of it...I know the method I used was less effort for all involved , if a tad more expensive! It really is extremely common...just taboo!
    Tasha

May 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

My daughter still wets the bed, not every night. Shes 7 years old. She did have a problem when she was 4 as she was wetting herslf all the time, I had to push for help as it ruled our lives.

They found she has irratable bladder and put her on medication. She wasnt on it long. Shes now sorted in the day but still has accidents at night. To me this is sooo much better. I do find she goes into a deep sleep and doesnt even realise shes wet herself until I wake her up.

I stop her drinks a couple of hours before bed and sometimes when I go to bed I just wake her up and take her to the bathroom for a little wee.

I now have the same problem with my youngest.

Oh what fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, both my sons were bed wetters, but we were able to get the alarms from the health visitor. They didnt want to give my youngest son the alarm cos he was young (4 or 5) I think, but he was becoming upset about having a wet bed, so they relented. The alarms are really good, I wasnt too sure about them at first but they really work. The child has to really wake up for his brain to learn that he needs the loo, it is no good lifting them out of bed when they are asleep to put them on the loo.We were also told that orange squash makes things worse and like you were told to give them lots of drink during the day but stop after tea time.
    I do know of someone who has just brought one of these alarms from the internet, but I am not sure how much it was, but it might be worth a look, cos they really do work.
    custardcream. x

Dec 200
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont have any advice for you but hope that she will just grow out of it!! It must be frustrating for everyone. Im sure she will get to grips with it soon enough though.

Can someone tell me if I should be introuducing no nappies at bedtime for Isabelle?? She is still in pull ups, shes been dry through the day for 7 months. she has not long turned 3. When should I do the night time thing. I know i've asked before but dont know where the thead is but I want to get on with it and just want to check Im not pressuirng her into it. She is sometimes dry when she wakes and sometimes wet. Is 3 to young for me to expect her to be dry all night with no pull up?

x

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

My daughter was dry at night by the age of 3 but my boy Charlie who is 6 tommorow HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHARLIE is still in pull ups at night and not bothered about it atall.

I have tried to leave them off but he just wets the bed and sleeps right on thru it.

I will just wait and not stress. There is a hormone in the brain that kicks in at some point to wake us to go to the loo. It will happen.

I don't know many teenagers still in pull up so i wouldn't worry as long as it isn't bothering your child.

Helen

Post Thanks / Like

I agree Helen, dont worry about it , it is really really common and they cant help it.
    custardcream. x

Post Thanks / Like

Lana my grandson is not yet 3 and dry at day and night
    There is no right or wrongs - a child I mind who is 3 is still in nappies
    It does depend on the child and only you know - give it a whirl if it does not work at night no big deal just go back to the pull ups for a while

Happy Birthday to Charlie for tomorrow Helen - hope you take some birthday pics with Buttercup
    Have a lovely day

Angel xx

Dec '06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    V Good
    Post Thanks / Like

SOrry but cant help with advise either. Both mine were dry day and bight by the time they were 21/2. Friends daughter is 4 and is only just dry during the day and still has pullups at night.

I used to lift my 2 when I went to bed to take them to pee but that lasted for a couple of weeks and they started to get up themselves to go.

They have the odd accident but thats only if they are not well.
    Fiona xx

Dec 200
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

ok, I think I am going to give it a go then! I should have tried when I trained her through the day I suppose but I was more concerned for getting her sorted in the daytime.

SO then... I think I will have a little chat with her this afternoon and see how she feels about it and then go form there!!

Thanks for your comments ladies

Happy birthday to Charlie for tomorrow!!!

xx

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Not read all the post but your not alone,

My ds is 6 in March and still in pull ups, I can try for weeks at a time and he's always wet. I'm going to read what everyone said when I get a mintue!

HV said untill 7 they won't do anything

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast