Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Full mouth

Registered Childminder since
    sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Full mouth

Any tips on helping little one understand waiting till mouth empty before putting more food in ? One piece of sandwich at a time etc
    I'm telling him / explaining every meal time just wondered if any tips ? Tia

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

What age?
    If it is really a problem (like they are stuffing in so much they might choke, or are unable to swallow) I would be passing them the plate to take one piece of food and removing plate until they have swallowed before offering more, while explaining with lots of praise and positive feedback about only taking more when the first bit is down. I would hope they'd get used to that way of eating and when they seem to be over that phase then I'd reintroduce the plate and watch carefully.
    Or trying to encourage a sip of water in between each mouthful of food?

3. Likes Maza liked this post
    sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    What age? If it is really a problem (like they are stuffing in so much they might choke, or are unable to swallow) I would be passing them the plate to take one piece of food and removing plate until they have swallowed before offering more, while explaining with lots of praise and positive feedback about only taking more when the first bit is down. I would hope they'd get used to that way of eating and when they seem to be over that phase then I'd reintroduce the plate and watch carefully. Or trying to encourage a sip of water in between each mouthful of food?
    Thank you I like the pass the plate idea , he's 18mths but over the 7 yrs of minding I've had 2 other 3 yr olds do it and didn't want it to go same way withy young man

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have a 21 month who was inclined to do this - we encourage chewing by role modelling it. The other children helped too.
    We over emphasise the chewing and swallowing and when he does it we praise. Though I am hawk eye on how much he puts in and if his spoon or hand attempts another mouthful I just say "not yet" - it seems to have worked as he didn't spend long in this phase.

sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    I have a 21 month who was inclined to do this - we encourage chewing by role modelling it. The other children helped too. We over emphasise the chewing and swallowing and when he does it we praise. Though I am hawk eye on how much he puts in and if his spoon or hand attempts another mouthful I just say "not yet" - it seems to have worked as he didn't spend long in this phase.
    Thank you yes hawk eye is perfect word for how I am it does seem constant at moment , he does understand ' not yet' and waits but if I don't say anything he puts everything in at once , I'll also see if mum thinks his way of eating is acceptable , if she thinks it's a phase and if she has any tips , she has laughed off his banana vanishing in 2 secs flat so maybe not worried but if he's still eating like this in restaurants when older maybe then concern will show
    Thank you

sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Lunch today with just me and him went lovely in sunny garden , I held plate with small pieces of sandwiches on and at start I offered plate and he ate a piece and I moved plate away after a while I held plate closer and didn't move it but suggested he waited until mouth empty and he got it , I'll write what I did for mum/ grandmas but hard to get continuity with so many carers some times , hopefully nipped it in the bud here thanks again

8. Likes Maza liked this post