Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: outdoor area

Registered Childminder since
    Aug 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default outdoor area

Hi

We have just started work building a playroom on the back of the house . Very excited its a blank canvas for me to have how I'd like!

We have quite a big garden and are going to have a patio right outside the playroom. I'm wanting have yge patio covered so hopefully even in lots of rain the children can still be outside. I'm just not sure how to do it! Ideas so far are build wooden shade over (hubby not keen on permanent cover for when he wants to sit out in the sun), retractable awning type thing, or gazebo I have up when im working and take down at the weekend?

Does anyone have anything similar or any ideaa?

Thanks

Mar12
    Post Thanks / Like

No ideas but very jealous it all sounds lovely x

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am interested to read replies as I would like to put a shelter over the side of my patio and cant decide how to do it.

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I am doing one oh is going to build it. We were going to have part of the roof solid and the other part translucent corrugated roof so that we still get the sun but also shade. Hopefully it will work.

Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I am wondering exactly the same thing.....I've had a gazebo in the past which broke when we had strong winds. I am thinking more retractable awning, however, this is probably an expensive option. Can pick up cheap gazebo's...I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see what other people have done

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking to do the same but if you build a permanent structure that is attached to the house you can't put it through as expenses and if you buy an awning or gazebo half the time you can't use them in heavy rain or snow - sometimes they aren't even showerproof as designed to shade you from the sun - so still can't make up our minds.

If you are having a large patio could you only cover 3 or 4 ft away from the wall which would give the children shelter to play with sandpit or chalk boards and then your husband could sit in sun on uncovered part - or did you want them to be able to play on bikes etc all year round?

Aug 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I'm not too bothered about claiming it on expenses as have 2 little ones myself and they will use it too.

Hadn't thought about the strength and using in heavy snow and rain. My eldest will go out in anything he just loves to be outside.

Would be nice if they could ride bikes under it too. Thinking a structure is sounding best but have it not covering all the patio just wondering if I will need planning permission as it will be permanent.

Sept 12
    Post Thanks / Like

We've been looking into some sort of canopy/awning and are considering a wooden pergola type structure with retractable canopy along these lines NEW GARDEN PATIO WOODEN RETRACTABLE PERGOLA WATERPROOF SUN RAIN CANOPY AWNING | eBay

9. Likes lynncjt liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

The material on the one on the link doesn't look very strong, also is says "showerproof" and something about easily removeable fabric for the winter which means they don't expect it to be used in the winter due to high winds and weight of snow on canopy. Think we are going to build one with timber supports and use poly carbonate sheeting (like conservatory roofing) for the roof to make sure the kitchen and dining room don't lose their natural light.

Mar 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like many of us are thinking the same, we got a couple of brochures from companies but £3000 is crazy so wondering about DIY version as hubby is very handy
    With some companies it's possible to get the polycarbonate sheets cut to size

Polycarbonate Shop - Polycarbonate cut to size
    Polycarbonate Roofing Panels | Polycarbonate Sheets | Polycarbonate

3m Projection Patio Canopy

oct 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Aluminum canopy on ebay looks good, think I may show my husband - he's not gonna be happy! ;-) more work

Jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have an electric awning. We bought it 6 years ago. We use it loads and would not be without it. It automatically comes in if it gets windy as there is a wind sensor on it.
    Children are born with wings we help them to fly.

Jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tazmin68 View Post
    I have an electric awning. We bought it 6 years ago. We use it loads and would not be without it. It automatically comes in if it gets windy as there is a wind sensor on it.
    It cost about £1200 and is 4 x 3 metres
    Children are born with wings we help them to fly.

Aug 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Some good ideas, think I'm going to get room built and sorted before I decide for definate what to havebuyt think i will go for part covering patio and get hubby to make wooden frame and do it ourselves.