Parent - Am I paying too much?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Parent - Am I paying too much?

I have a 1 year old and a 10 year old step-son. I pay £3.50 for each of them which only includes snacks. I thought this was ok, but talking to another childminder (who I wouldn't trust to look after my dog let alone my kids) has said that that I should be paying less for my step-son and only when he is actually there.
    My contract is for Mon-Thurs 07.30-5.30. My husband doesn't always work the same days each week, so my step-son doesn't always go, but I send my daughter. Sometimes if my husband works on a friday she is willing to swap a day and sometimes she isn't.
    My last childminder before my daughter was born was happy with ad-hoc as it was only before and after school.

Registered Childminder since
    july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi ,
    Its up to each childminder how they charge and up to each parent whether they want to pay that way or go to a different childminder. If you have concerns, check the details on your copy of the contract and ask your childminder to go through anything you don't understand.

I personally charge differently for each contract, according to convenience for me, how many hours will be used of the available space, etc. If I had a child needing different hours/days each week I would probably either charge for all possible hours or a higher rate for those used. It would depend on my circumstances at the time I took on the contract.
    But that's me. Your childminder is running her own business and will charge according to her own ideas .

I hope you get it sorted out to everyones satisfaction

best wishes,
    Wendy

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Each childminder is different, if you have any concerns you need to discuss them with your childminder and clear any thing up. The problem is without knowing the situation it is hard to comment.

I charge £4 per hour, no sibling discounts, include meals. I would not charge while a child is at school, but do charge if an under 5 is at playschool as I can't fill that space....

But again, speak to your childminder.

sept 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

most childminderss have a before and after school rates which start when you pick up the child until 5.30 /6.00 then you may pay extra if after this time, everyone works differently.If you need child care for different days of the week on differing weeks you may have to pay for the times you dont use or part payment i.e 50% of fees. Its not usual to pay while he's at school if thats what you mean but if you are needed in school holidays this may be the case .Hope this helps

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Depending where you live, that sounds a reasonable amount per hour, even without meals included.

I would expect you to pay the full amount for your daughter for the contracted hours (£3.75 I charge) and would charge for before & after school hours for your step-son, whether or not he attended. I don't swap days if they're not used and I wouldn't give a sibling discount. Infact, I charge a higher amount for school children (£5 for the first hour, £3.75 an hour after that). I wouldn't charge while he was at school, but would obviously charge the full day if he came in holidays.

You need to look at your contract and see exactly what it says. If you are paying for the time your son is at school I would query this.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

The amount you pay per hour depends where you live. My rate is £5.50 per hour and I am cheap in this area.

I would charge for all the hours your daughter uses.

I assume you 10yr old is at school so I would expect to be paid for any days before and after school that you wanted to use. I would then be happy to have him in the holidays and would expect to be paid in advance for the time you required. I do a booking form for this and ask for at least four weeks notice of requirements and ask for payment with the booking form. If you then did not use the days you would still pay for them. This gives me time to plan things like outings for older children.

I include all food and most outings in my fees. For your daughter I would ask you to provide nappies and for both of them sun cream.

I also ask for a four weeks fees Deposit when signing a contract which I keep until the end of the contract.
    Last edited by rickysmiths; 23-02-2012 at 02:16 PM.

onceinabluemoon Guest

Is it that your SS is shared care with another parent and you only needed the space for some of the time? e.g. he goes to mums mon to weds one week and thurs to sat next week. If this is the case then its likely the minder will charge for the whole week as she has to hold the whole week for your SSs needs.

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i woudl probably do more ad hoc for an older after school child. However, I'd want a min. number of hours per week. However, I charge a higher rate for after school children. So say your little one was £3.50 I'd be at least £4.50 for your older one.

I'd say it probably even's out hon.

Am guessing the childminder who put this idea in your head was offering to do it for you
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

aug 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with juggler as he is over 8 id do a more adhoc contract, if he came each week id ask for minimum hours but if only occaisionally then maybe risk there not being a space available as that is what your paying for
    Marie.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum. As others have said it is up to each childminder how they run their business and what they charge for.

If you are not happy with what you're paying then you need to talk to your childminder and see if you can sort it out.

I do find it strange though that you take the word of another childminder who (in your own words) you wouldn't trust to look after your dog, about what your own childminder should or shouldn't be charging.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Oct 11.
    Latest Inspection Grade
    x Good x
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dev879 View Post
    I have a 1 year old and a 10 year old step-son. I pay £3.50 for each of them which only includes snacks. I thought this was ok, but talking to another childminder (who I wouldn't trust to look after my dog let alone my kids) has said that that I should be paying less for my step-son and only when he is actually there.
    My contract is for Mon-Thurs 07.30-5.30. My husband doesn't always work the same days each week, so my step-son doesn't always go, but I send my daughter. Sometimes if my husband works on a friday she is willing to swap a day and sometimes she isn't.
    My last childminder before my daughter was born was happy with ad-hoc as it was only before and after school.
    I charge 4.50per hour per child and includes 2 meals and a snack.
    After schoolies are a set fee of £15 and includes tea.

However a childminder 2 mins from me charges £4.50 and the charges £1 for breakfast, £1 for snack, £2 for lunch and £1.50 for tea plus charges for all groups and outings.

We are all different and where we live means rates varies.

The trouble with the 1 yr old is that as childminders we can only have 3 under 5's and our own children are included in this so I can have 2 under 5's as my son is 8 months so if you require shift care, I personally would ask that you paid for 3 days regardless of what you use because I am unable to fill the other days and your 1 yr old would be taking up a full time place that would earn me £225 a week (£1000 every 4 weeks), but I am allowing you a full time space for the price of 3 days, so would only be taking £135 (thats £90 a week difference - a whopping £360 every 4 weeks).

Over 8's were not limited on, we can have as many as our insurance lets us so that would be why I would be happy with charging for the 10yr old to come as and when.

I think you have a really good deal and chances are the other childminder put that thought into your head because she is hoping you would switch or wants to cause trouble for the other childminder.
    You cant put a price on your child's happiness and well being xx
    Last edited by stardust; 23-02-2012 at 06:40 PM.
    You can’t have everything. Where would you put it?

Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all your advice. I know I shouldn't listen to other people and go with my gut feeling. My childminder is good with the kids and they are really happy with her, so I guess that's the main thing. Looking at what some of you charge, before and after school with no retainer in the school holidays isn't that bad at all for my step-son.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree you must trust your instincts. Hope we've set your mind at ease and you continue to have a happy relationship with your minder.

Pipsqueak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dev879 View Post
    Thanks for all your advice. I know I shouldn't listen to other people and go with my gut feeling. My childminder is good with the kids and they are really happy with her, so I guess that's the main thing. Looking at what some of you charge, before and after school with no retainer in the school holidays isn't that bad at all for my step-son.
    glad you have been reassured

just ask yourself 'what price GOOD childcare?' Surely you can't put a price on it.
    Children are our most valuable 'things' and whilst I appreciate £7phr (for two children) is a fair chunk out of your wages - ask yourself what you are getting for that:
    a caring loving warm home like atmosphere where your children are cared for safely, nurtured, welcomed into a home (instead of a cold clinical nursery/after school facility), activities provided, a place to chill and relax

remember - what the minder is charging is NOT what she is pocketing - out of that money comes necessary training, insurances, registration fees, professional development, resources, cleaning products

Dec 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Why are they only getting snacks if one of your kids is there all day??

or have i read that wrong?

I adapt depending on the situation im in at the time so all my contracts have differing rules and that works for me. YOu tweak things as you go along in the CM world too
    XX Jill XX

Oct 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Just to add that sometimes whether the child is older is irrelevant - I could theoretically take an additional older child, but am limited by the number of seats in my car, so even a ten year old would be in effect taking one of my full time places.

Mar 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

hmmm, your 10 yr old does not legaly affect the number of children your Childminder can care for. However, as you have signed the contracts, you are bound by its terms. If you are not happy give notice and source another CM, as its VERY unlikely she would be willing to renegotiate terms.
    Cecile x

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mummits View Post
    Just to add that sometimes whether the child is older is irrelevant - I could theoretically take an additional older child, but am limited by the number of seats in my car, so even a ten year old would be in effect taking one of my full time places.
    I agree - I would still charge for an over 8 whether they attend or not, just because they are not in my numbers it matters not, parent has signed a contract to the hours they want so therefore that would be my income I wouldn't not charge just because child didn't come. We still only have a certain amount of spaces even including over 8's

Devit sounds like the other cm is a going out of her way to cause issues for your cm. What a nasty woman - it is none of her business

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you feel happier now you have had some advice

Angel xx