Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    oct 96
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Charges for 2nd child

Hi everyone.
    I have a parent whos baby I look after & she is expecting number 2. I charge a flat daily rate (Not hourly). How much reduction per day should I give for the second child. I havent been asked yet to have the new baby for definate but I want to be prepared incase I am asked and put on the spot when I am least expecting it.

Thanks
    Cupcake 22

dec 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge £3 ph (full time) for one child then £5 per hour for 2 but tbh , I'm reluctant to give discounts any longer as I find siblings are hard work and I'm loosing too much money . So don't undercut yourself too much as it could proove not worth it
    H4H supporter 'per mare per terram'

Sep2006
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont - the place is being taken up therefore I charge the same as I do for anyone.

Francesca

sept 04
    Post Thanks / Like

A business advisor on my ICP said we should not give any discounts for a second child and that they were fortunate to find a childminder with two spaces for their children. We only have 3 under - 5 spaces anyway so why should we offer a discount? I've minded several pairs of siblings and none of their parents have asked for or expected a discount. I doubt your parent would look around for 'discounted' childcare if you refused to offer a discount. She may struggle to find two places with a childminder who was willing to offer a discount. Also think of all the lost earnings over the coming years! Good luck

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont give any sibling discounts - I find two from the same family are often harder work and also if they give notice you loose a large chunk of your income at one time and its harder to fill 2 spaces than one

dec 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tashaleee View Post
    I dont give any sibling discounts - I find two from the same family are often harder work and also if they give notice you loose a large chunk of your income at one time and its harder to fill 2 spaces than one
    Totally agree
    H4H supporter 'per mare per terram'

Feb 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    13/03/11
    Post Thanks / Like

I give a discount of 25p and hour for the eldest child IF the youngest child has a full time place with me.

oct 96
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all so much for your replies. It has helped a lot and also given me resons not to give a discount.

Cupcake22

May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I do not give a discount they are taking up two of my spaces and I am not a millionaire to be able to subsidise them. Also I used to give a discount and when I put my fees up the parent complained that I was taking the mick as she had two children to pay for wouldn't have minded but they had just bought a half a million pound house and come back from an expensive holiday in a year when I couldn't afford to go away. needless to say not long after this I did away with my sibling discount.

Just as an aside if you do give a discount do not state it is for the elder child but word it that it is only if both children are in the setting. The reason I say this is a friend of mine stated discount was for the elder sibling and the parent sent he younger one to granny's for the whole of the summer so she was stuffed as she had contracted half fee for the elder child needless to say she changed her contract after the holidays.
    love Kate
    Save the earth it's the only planet with chocolate

Post Thanks / Like

I don't give sibling discount either - as already said they are taking up two valuable places. There is also help available towards childcare fees for parents now.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Jun 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Grade 6
    Post Thanks / Like

I give a 10% discount for the older child
    Ali xx

Dec 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi I have 2 sets of siblings and they all pay full hourly rate, afterall as said above they are taking a space and are still using resources and eating snack food as any other child would.....
    God Bless xx T

Nov2000
    Post Thanks / Like

I, also, no longer offer discount. I have been asked recently but declined.. I cannot afford to subsidise them. The parent chose to take their children to another CM 5 miles away & who does not pick up and drop off at the local school. The text I got in reply stated "they might need my services in the future!! " I don't think so!!!

I used to give discount until 1 parent had 3rd child under 5 and was using up all my spaces and she was working shifts so never on set days..aaaggghh!!

We all learn from our mistakes - you need to weigh up whether you need the work or not!!

mar 11
    Post Thanks / Like

i agree with the no discount policy, we used to do 10% discount for siblings but as said siblings can be hard work when they bring the family squabble with them, so discounts gone and new contracts written for exsisting clients and not one parent has complained

ReReg10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD :)
    Post Thanks / Like

when i used to mind a few years back i offered a discount but as stated the parent would take advantage & bring the 'cheaper' child more often

i found siblings are harder to mind in some respects as they like to get each other in trouble

every place pays the same here
    What a crock!!!

June 03
    Post Thanks / Like

I have always give sibling reduction, but sometimes i wonder why. Most of my parents get help with childcare, and as others have said, they are taking 2 places up. Itsa a tricky one!

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I used to do a discount for the oldest child but I now do not.