term time only & charging whilst child at nursery or not?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Default term time only & charging whilst child at nursery or not?

I have just had a visit from a parent who is looking for 3 full days a week for her 3yr old daughter. She then said that she attends a nursery/pre school on two of these mornings but i didnt actually find out for how many hours this was (was a bit nervous i think!). Would you charge whilst the child is at nursery or not? I will just be charging a set hourly rate and no extras really and she has already asked if i can offer term time only. I dont want to regret taking on a job that im not going to earn much from but really could do with any work at the moment!! Also if a child is term time only should i only take 1/2 my holiday during term times? What do you all do?

just checked the website for the nursery and they aree 3.5 hr sessions so if she goes twice a week that would be nearly a whole days wages lost really!
    Last edited by Libby08; 09-12-2010 at 01:29 PM. Reason: add info

jun 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: term time only & charging whilst child at nursery or not?

Are you going to be taking and collecting from nursery? I charge for those hours - its keeping the space open. Also ask the parent if you are to be the contact person - what would happen if nursery was shut for example?

For term time only places I charge half rate for the school hols.

Hth x

July 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I look after teachers children and do not charge for school holidays. However, my hourly rate is inflated and it works out almost the same as the parents paying half in school holidays.
    Grindal

Dec 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I would be dropping and picking up, I think i should charge but wanted to see what others thought so im not asking a parent to pay for something that sounds unfair!
    They are two teachers with a child each and they both want term time only (which i think they are getting now with their current CM) so I dont want to loose two jobs. I said i was happy to advertise the vacancy for a 'school holidays only' child to see if i could fill the space but didnt say what I would do if i couldnt find anyone!
    Would most people charge half fee's during the holidays then?

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

If I was contracted for drop off and collection I would charge for a session of x per day including the time at nursery.

The reason for this? If nursery was closed, as some have this week because of snow and flu, you would be expected to have the child. Parents are paying for the space and not the time you are working.
    Debbie

nov 04
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 mindees in nursery. I drop off and pick them up and I charge for a full day, Because when the nursery is not open. I have them all day......like today. I charge half fee in the holidays to keep their place open as well . I have always charged this and my parents are happy with it. Even my after school pick ups i charge half fee in holidays. I can not full their place for a few hours and if parents don't need me in holidays, they know their place is here when they go back to school. This is how we all do it here .

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi ,
    Why not offer them a choice of paying half in the holidays to keep the space, or a higher hourly rate for the luxury of being able to just pay term times?

I personaly like the time off in the holidays so all but one (one day a week) family are term time only here.

Maybe make a cheeky offer and have a back up plan in case they're not happy...?

Have a good think, do some sums and do what your gut tells you

bws, wendy

Jul 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

Most of mine are term time only, but I'd be willing to take on a couple of holiday only kids too, to make up my wages. I don't charge a retainer because I wanted to be able to be flexible in the holidays and have some time with my kids, and if I charged a retainer I'd have to be available, so no nipping off for camping trips or days out.

I've also just taken on two little girls, one is in playschool 9.30-2.30 and I'm charging full fees as they're with me from 6.30am so I drop off and am on call. I can't fill her space while she's there either. Their mum was absolutely fine about it, she realised she would have to pay. I would definitely charge, I think you'd regret it if you didn't, and it's a space taken with no money coming in.

xxx

Penny1959 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by florabird View Post
    Hi ,
    Why not offer them a choice of paying half in the holidays to keep the space, or a higher hourly rate for the luxury of being able to just pay term times?

I personaly like the time off in the holidays so all but one (one day a week) family are term time only here.

Maybe make a cheeky offer and have a back up plan in case they're not happy...?

Have a good think, do some sums and do what your gut tells you

bws, wendy
    This is the bottom line - work out what you will earn from these 2 - OVER THE YEAR - Work out what would earn if filled holiday space and what would earn if diddn't.

Then work out potential income from any other places.

When done sums (not forgetting expenses) - take worse case - just these 2 term time - is that enough - short term in the hope that fill places but more importantly - long term if don't?

It is always hard - setting fees - but don't offer to do it for less than need - because you could end up after expenses making a loss!

Penny