Mum on benefits & Deposits
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Oct 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Mum on benefits & Deposits

Hi there I am a newbie and I have my first sign up of contracts on Sunday with the child starting in January.

This is the story and I just need some assistance.

The mum in question has today given her notice in on the other childminder for various reasons shes not happy with them.

Now the mum is on benefits and at the moment pays the minder weekly but come end of January the mum will be paid by her work (16 hours a week) monthly and therefore to start with will pay me weekly and then monthly ive not a problem with that.

When I said to her I would need a deposit to hold the place and a months minding in advance shes worried about that as she never had to give a deposit to the current minders and never had to give an advance. My concern is that at end of Dec/Jan she could turn around and say shes not going to work no more or anything else and then ive wasted time in holding the space open.

Shes a single mum on benefits who gets her childcare paid for by the government.

Any advice before I get her to sign contracts on Sunday as I say knowing my luck ill come away from there signed up but with no deposit or anything.

Thanks in advance

Caroline xx

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Mum on benefits & Deposits

If you have the place available now, then you should be charging a retainer fee as she is choosing to not use the place now. This is usually 50% and is non refundable and does not come off future fee's. If however you no longer have the place when she needs it, then it is refundable.

A deposit is only charged if you do not have the place available but it will be when she needs it IYSWIM. This does come of the first invoice.

HTH

Jess

PS: I had a parent who could not pay 50% for a retainer due to being on maternity leave. We worked out a mutually agreeable payment and child started fine. See what works for you.
    Kids are my business

Nov 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I have recently had dealings with a single parent who was on benefits and her child started coming to me when she went back to work. Under the government's scheme to get people back into work, the jobcentre paid half of the deposit she had to give me. I think it was £243 and it went straight into my bank within 2 weeks. This is not always the case in some areas though and it can take months to get the payment. She then paid the other half in the next few weeks before the settling in period was up.

You could let her pay the deposit weekly over the settling in peroid. If she is going back to work 16 hours a week then surely she will be getting child tax credits to help with childcare which is usually paid weekly. Could she use this at the beginning?

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I think if mum is on benefits ask for a £20 deposit and that will seem like £500 to her and should ensure her coming back.
    Debbie

Oct 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for advice she is already working does 2 days a week and gets paid weekly and from what i understand she pays the current minders weekly.

She is on all sorts of benefits but she does not have any spare money I could mention about the job centre but not sure if shes with them as shes already working humm its a tough call.

As i say i dont want to say to her ok if you have no money in the world thats fine ill just hold the space open just in case she pulls out then ive wasted time holding the space open ggrr doesn't look like there is anything I can do i guess but hope all goes well and she does use me in jan.

Thanks xx

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

In reality do you think you could fill the space between now and Jan with someone else! I know I couldn't but maybe you could where you are.I guess only you know whether you are prepared to sign and give her the benefit of the doubt. For me as it is such a short time I would agree to it. If she is going to start by paying weekly don't you only need a week in advance rather than a month?

Oct 10
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks manjay

In reality I prob could fill the place I am in Greater London where there is a great need and I am not getting the child for 4 weeks, she is going to be paying weekly for prob 1 - 2 weeks then its going monthly as she is currently being paid weekly and then she will go onto monthly pay end of Jan.

I think ill have more of an idea i guess when i meet with her on Sunday.

xx