Parent arriving late (20min every day) do I charge?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Parent arriving late (20min every day) do I charge?

Quote Originally Posted by kymberly View Post
    Thanks for all the replies guys.

Think I'll have to bite the bullet and say to her (yikes). Just before I do, what's the thoughts on adding up her 20 mins (so over 3 days that would be an hour) and just adding it to her bill. I charge her £3.50 per hour which is £28 per day (9-5 or 5.20 more like) and feel wick asking her for more money. Is £29.75 not a bit much for a childminder??

Thanks in advance xx

err no not where i live!! to give you some perspective my parents pay £5.50 and hour and a 8.5 hour day costs £ 46.75. I charge £5 per 15 mins that they are late picking up too!

jun 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kindredspirits View Post
    I'd give her the benefit of the doubt and ask her if she needs to change contracted hours to 5.30 collection. If she says no then say I'm sorry but I will have to charge you an extra £5 when you are late in future because its unsocial hours/your insurance needs you to be charging to keep you covered - up to you!

Thats what i think too. xx

FEB 01
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kindredspirits View Post
    I'd give her the benefit of the doubt and ask her if she needs to change contracted hours to 5.30 collection. If she says no then say I'm sorry but I will have to charge you an extra £5 when you are late in future because its unsocial hours/your insurance needs you to be charging to keep you covered - up to you!
    AGREED, and she will be able to think about it, and change the contract to 5.30

good luck,
    your running a business not doing anyone favours.x
    I WISH IN 2011 TO BE A SKINNY COW,,,,,,,,,,,, MY PICTURE,,,

Sept 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I was so naive when I first started!
    I used to just charge the parents for the hours I actually had the kids. If I didn't have them I charged half. One parent worked flexi time - and sometimes I would pick up the 2 girls from school (9 & 10 at the time). They would come in, eat me out of house and home, then get picked up at 4. I would charge for an hour. I actually stopped & thought about it one day I was getting paid more on the days I didn't have them than some days that I did!! I stopped that, and charged the contracted hours every day
    Also (I am so stupid - sorry - was!) another parent would pick up anytime between 4 and 6.30! I work 'til 6 I would never know when they were going (3 siblings - again like locusts!!) I would only charge 'til they were picked up (I was never really told when they were actually supposed to be picked up, but it was more often than not about 5.30) I then started charging 'til 5.30 every day, unless they were picked up later, when I would charge more (an extra half hour to 6, then double time in 15 min increments) That adds up quite a bit for 3 kids! It wasn't a problem after that!
    I have learnt my lesson now but this sort of thing is really hard when you first start out

Mar 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a parent who was going back to work to a new job after maternity leave & she said would have to drop child off at 7.30am. Told her I didnt start till 8am & would charge her an extra £5 a day due to the unsociable hours, also then emailed her a copy (updated of course) showing my fees if she came before 8am & collected after 6pm. All ok tho as she took a different job & child comes after 8 & collected at 5.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the same thing every week with one mum! Every week she is due to pick up at 4pm and I'm lucky if she turns up by half past. I wouldn't mind if she said "sorry" but she doesn't! She doesn't pay me so it doesn't bother her but every week I know shes gonna be late

Nov 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Eskysbabe, why doesn't she pay you? Half an hour is loads - she's taking the mickey. You should definately start charging.

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got a parent who 'slides' She will either come 10-15 mins late in the morning and then collect 10-15 mins late in the evening. Does not happen too much.
    But if she 'slides' too far, then i'll start charging late fees
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eskysbabe View Post
    I have the same thing every week with one mum! Every week she is due to pick up at 4pm and I'm lucky if she turns up by half past. I wouldn't mind if she said "sorry" but she doesn't! She doesn't pay me so it doesn't bother her but every week I know shes gonna be late

If I was you I'd just start adding the extra time onto the bill and if she moans, just show her the start and finish times in your register, then she may pull up her socks
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kymberly View Post
    Eskysbabe, why doesn't she pay you? Half an hour is loads - she's taking the mickey. You should definately start charging.
    Social/family Services pay me

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I would charge her DIRECTLY for the late fees... tell her social doesn't cover when she picks up late, anything over and above she has to pay for. You need to get payment for ALL your hours worked.
    Jen

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bushpig View Post
    Well I would charge her DIRECTLY for the late fees... tell her social doesn't cover when she picks up late, anything over and above she has to pay for. You need to get payment for ALL your hours worked.
    Sounds like a plan

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eskysbabe View Post
    time to start charging late fees then hon, or offer to change her contract hours

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12