Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Charging for long days

Hi there I'm just looking for a bit of advice about fees. I care for two LO's (1 x 28 months and sibling 4 yrs in FT school). I charge £36 per day for <5's and £14 wraparound for older sibling. Mum has a new job which has impacted on drop off and pick up times. Originally they were dropped off 7.45am to 8am - it's now 7.30am. They used to be collected just before 5.30pm but is now more like 6pm. I feel I need to charge for pre 8am and post 5.30pm as it's a very long day (especially in school hols lol)!

Any thoughts on how to charge for the unsociable hours? £5 per day? don't want to sound greedy but feel I need to do it!

Many thanks

Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge similar to you for day rate hours 8am - 5.30pm, outside these hours for that bit extra I.e 7.30am to 6.00pm I charge £4 per half hour (or part thereof) so an extra £8. Keep it structured and not just a £5 because it sounds ok! SORRY NOT TRYING TO TELL YOU WHAT TO DO but just highlighting problems that can arise if parents think you are at home so it doesn't matter about the bit extra and it doesn't stop you doing anything!!

Those extra half hours are killers especially at the end of the day - so don't sell yourself short. And don't allow mum to squeeze you - set your fee's. Because one annoying trick is parents coming at 7.45am some days and 5.45pm other days and only wanting to pay one half hour extra. It's not all about the money for me, it's all about knowing what is expected, planning your time accordingly and your work/life balance.
    I have a few book in at 7.30am AND pay for it and they don't turn up till, sometimes 8am but I have been ready and waiting for half an hour (it really does p me off because I think it is inconsiderate - so I always make sure I charge). OK your not working but you can't do anything else because your waiting, the same at the end of the day - you can't plan anything until 6pm even if mum collects at 5.45pm you still can't pre plan anything. I charge because otherwise time keeping boundaries get pushed and this can ruin a relationship and your own free time. It is very important that boundaries are fair, they don't have to be solid but firm expectations on time keeping can make all the difference.

3. Likes AliceK, Rolacolapink liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Change to an hourly rate? If you charge a Daily rate then unless you have made it clear in your Contract what your 'Opening hours' are? you have to charge your daily rate. The hours the mum is changing to aren't unreasonably early or late.

This is one of the disadvantages of a Daily Rate. In a Nursery a parent has to pay for the whole day whether they use it or not and if the dropped off at 8 and collected at 5pm and then work changed they could extend to the Nursery opening hours without incurring any additional cost.

This is why I have always had an hourly rate. If a parent wants shorter day I do have a min charge of 6 hours a day.

sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a daily rate... I'm open 8 to 5.45. But i always ask parents what times they need. One parent says she collects at 4.30 so that's the contracted collection time. On the Contract I highlight after 4.30 is extra time
    Tess1981

6. Likes Rolacolapink liked this post
    Apr 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your feedback it's given me food for thought when I renew their contracts in sept. I want to make it fair for me as well as parents so everyone is happy

8. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you apply to work these longer hours, sometimes it's not all about extra money. My kids have evening clubs, and a 6olock finish who runs late, and collects at 6.30( has phoned)

Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k1rstie View Post
    Are you apply to work these longer hours, sometimes it's not all about extra money. My kids have evening clubs, and a 6olock finish who runs late, and collects at 6.30( has phoned)
    Sorry, pressed wrong button!

The 6.30 collection is a real pain due to army cadet drop off.

OP - If the later time is a REAL PROBLEM, you must say. And maybe even give the kids notice. No amount of money will compensate you if you are unhappy about the longer day

11. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

7.30 til 6 pm are normal hours (to me). Anything before or after those times would be unsociable and charged double time.
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

13. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think in terms of higher rates for "unsociable hours". I have "working hours" and my own time. If I need/want that time for myself or my family, then I wouldn't sell it at any price, and I'd feel a bit mercenary if I did.

I would consider charging a higher rate if the hours were such that I'd almost certainly be working exclusively for the one family.

I agree with Rickysmiths about "daily rates". They do tempt parents into thinking along the lines of "day = 24 hours, so I must be doing my CM an enormous favour if I collect them before beddy-byes."

I doubt if parents would be happy to be treated in a similar way by their employers: "I'd like you to work some extra hours. You can think of it as 'overtime' - just don't expect to be paid."

15. Likes rickysmiths, Koala liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tess1981 View Post
    I have a daily rate... I'm open 8 to 5.45. But i always ask parents what times they need. One parent says she collects at 4.30 so that's the contracted collection time. On the Contract I highlight after 4.30 is extra time
    How can you charge extra if your Day is 8am to 5.45pm if the parent collects after their normal time of 4.30pm when your Daily Rate is for the hours yu are open? I would be a bit peed off if I was told this. Because your hours are advertised the daily rate should surely be for this and as long as the parent collects by 5.45pm they don't pay any more?

On the other hand this is why I have always charged and hourly fee. No confusion, parents pay for the hours they want and pay extra if they need more hours. I like to keep things simple.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I think you might have shot yourself in the foot with this one same as I have .. I have had a little one start and because I wanted to make sure I got a certain amount of money for each space I charged a day rate.. They said he would be here 830-430ish.. I am open and advertise my opening hours as 8-530, and now this is what I am getting him for grrr!! Everyone else pays an hourly rate and actually now if I work 8-530 for this family they are actually paying less.. So I am working best part of an hour for 'free'.. I won't do it again but can't change it now . Sigh

sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post

How can you charge extra if your Day is 8am to 5.45pm if the parent collects after their normal time of 4.30pm when your Daily Rate is for the hours yu are open? I would be a bit peed off if I was told this. Because your hours are advertised the daily rate should surely be for this and as long as the parent collects by 5.45pm they don't pay any more?

On the other hand this is why I have always charged and hourly fee. No confusion, parents pay for the hours they want and pay extra if they need more hours. I like to keep things simple.
    I tell the parents upon signing up the hours they need are there contacted hours. Some parents ask for 9am start and can't leave in before that. Even though I'm open at 8. Parents who say they want to collect at 4.30 are told that's their cut off line. Never had any complaints it just seems to be on and works
    Tess1981

19. Likes Koala liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I tell the parents upon signing up the hours they need are there contacted hours. Some parents ask for 9am start and can't leave in before that. Even though I'm open at 8. Parents who say they want to collect at 4.30 are told that's their cut off line. Never had any complaints it just seems to be on and works
    Must take a leaf out of your book.. I should have been firmer with this.. Have shortened it some days as Lo is finding it a long day so I have said it's prob better for him if mum collects at 445 (as arranged) rather than dad at 520

Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

I like your style.

If parents want certain hours and they are quoted a rate - this is fine they will be charged that rate whether its called a daily rate or a man on the moon rate!!.
    However if they wanted additional hours within a sensible working day this would also be fine upon discussion and approval with the minder (ME). I probably wouldn't charge extra if it was within my daily rate fee which is 8am - 5.30pm but I would expect to be respected and asked which in my experience isn't always the case.
    But I can understand why you charge extra for the hours as they are not booked hours and this should be respected. Parent gets and pays for what they want and this is agreed, if they want more - they pay - well done, I can't think of anything more simple. This is good practice and you know and parents know where they stand.

sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by murphf View Post

Must take a leaf out of your book.. I should have been firmer with this.. Have shortened it some days as Lo is finding it a long day so I have said it's prob better for him if mum collects at 445 (as arranged) rather than dad at 520
    If 4.45 was the arranged time I would not be accepting the 5.20 collection I count that as parent being late. Lo that goes home at 4.30 was still at mine one day at 5pm even though I open to 5.30 I rang the parent to say why had no one collected child turns out mum thought granda was collecting and he thought mum was collecting she was so apologetic and offered the late payment... I took pity on her and said I knew this was a one off so on this occasion I would not charge. Mum knows I have other children here til 5.30
    Tess1981

sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Koala View Post

I like your style.

If parents want certain hours and they are quoted a rate - this is fine they will be charged that rate whether its called a daily rate or a man on the moon rate!!.
    However if they wanted additional hours within a sensible working day this would also be fine upon discussion and approval with the minder (ME). I probably wouldn't charge extra if it was within my daily rate fee which is 8am - 5.30pm but I would expect to be respected and asked which in my experience isn't always the case.
    But I can understand why you charge extra for the hours as they are not booked hours and this should be respected. Parent gets and pays for what they want and this is agreed, if they want more - they pay - well done, I can't think of anything more simple. This is good practice and you know and parents know where they stand.
    Thanks
    Tess1981

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge a fixed rate of £40.00 from 8am to 6pm, if they collect earlier that is fine and the early time is on the contract but if they don't collect until 6pm I don't charge anymore, saves me working out odd minutes and parents know they are covered. They do not take advantage of this. I do however have a £7.50 charge outside of these hours and will charge it if people are constantly over the 6pm
    Debbie