Fees for one off emergency?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fees for one off emergency?

So I have a child coming just to cover as an emergency and don't know what to charge.
    My normal fee is £4.50 but ad hoc or out of hours is £8 per hour.
    This child probley won't come again but is £8 per hour too much to ask considering all arrangements I have to make paperwork ect.
    Would a one off charge then normal hourly rate be better what would you do?

Registered Childminder since
    Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I always charge my normal rate but if you charge extra for ad hoc or emergency then I think its fair you charge that. What does parent say? If she is aware of your charge and needs you then she should be willing to pay. If she thinks it a bit steep maybe you can negotiate. But its up to you at the end of the day to charge what you see fit!

3. Likes bunyip liked this post
    Aug 12
    Post Thanks / Like

For my adhoc children I charge a £15 set up fee -that covers all forms I might need to fill out for them both initial forms and any possible medical or accident forms and then I just charge my normal hourly rate, if they only wanted one day I might charge less but if they wanted to use me again then they would have to pay the initial fee.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Essbops View Post
    So I have a child coming just to cover as an emergency and don't know what to charge.
    My normal fee is £4.50 but ad hoc or out of hours is £8 per hour.
    This child probley won't come again but is £8 per hour too much to ask considering all arrangements I have to make paperwork ect.
    Would a one off charge then normal hourly rate be better what would you do?
    We are allowed to care for children outside of their contracted hours as long as we have a space...I am not sure why this requires any 'extra' paperwork'?....all that is required is that you tick the child as 'having attended' in your register and, of course, charge the parents for the extras.
    If the extra hours are within your 'normal' opening hours not sure why the fee should be so much higher?
    we are all different so really up to you to negotiate with the parent.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Unless it is unsociable hours or weekends I just charge my standard hours fee - I have a temporary contract that I typed up myself that includes permission to take in car, photos, etc and all contact details - so I don't fill in a full contract or child record form so my only paperwork charge would be for an A4 piece of paper and a page in the register. I do have a minimum 7 hours a day policy but if I had a space I would even waive that for ad hoc.

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    We are allowed to care for children outside of their contracted hours as long as we have a space...I am not sure why this requires any 'extra' paperwork'?....all that is required is that you tick the child as 'having attended' in your register and, of course, charge the parents for the extras.
    If the extra hours are within your 'normal' opening hours not sure why the fee should be so much higher?
    we are all different so really up to you to negotiate with the parent.
    Essbobs is referring to the initial paperwork she needs to fill in before she accepts this child into her care, information form, permission forms etc

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by christine e View Post
    Essbobs is referring to the initial paperwork she needs to fill in before she accepts this child into her care, information form, permission forms etc
    This is why I created my own simple temporary contract form it has spaces for all contact details, permissions etc all on one A4 sheet.

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    This is why I created my own simple temporary contract form it has spaces for all contact details, permissions etc all on one A4 sheet.
    That sounds like a very useful piece of paperwork

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by christine e View Post
    That sounds like a very useful piece of paperwork
    Here it is - you can adapt it to fit you and your charges/policies etc - Ofsted did see it on my last inspection and thought it was acceptable. Just realised I need to take out the part about permission to seek medical advice as that is automatic now - don't very often have ad hoc

temp contract.doc

11. Likes dawn100 liked this post
    Aug 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Here it is - you can adapt it to fit you and your charges/policies etc - Ofsted did see it on my last inspection and thought it was acceptable. Just realised I need to take out the part about permission to seek medical advice as that is automatic now - don't very often have ad hoc

temp contract.doc
    Thank you for that, I have loathed filling in one of my stupendously long mm contracts for adhoc and because I don't have minimum hours is why I've charged a set up fee but might just adapt your contract and either reduce or get rid of my set up fee.

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

temp contract.doc
    Thank you hectors house that will be very useful

Hope you have a lovely Christmas x