Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Shift patterns?!

Hi I have had a family round today who will be wanting between 18-32 hours a week. It will vary each week depending on what shifts she's on and how often the dad can collect early.
    So how do I charge this? I was going to charge for hours used until I found out how big the difference would be each week. Now I'm thinking of setting a minimum each week? But this will be my first family so don't want to put them off.
    It's for a nearly 6 month old little boy.
    Stacey

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There is no reason for you to not charge a minimum amount of hours each week - or instead charge a higher hourly fee. They aren't earning less in the weeks they don't use you as much so why should you lose out when you are giving up a potential 50 hour weeks place to accomodate them.

When you are new to minding it is so easy to give in as to not upset or lose a family but, by doing this, in the long run you can create a situation in which you are not happy or are being taken advantage of. If they leave you because you have charged a minimum fee then it would indicate that they think far more about money than getting the 'right' person to look after their baby and do you really want your first job to be with a family who will quibble every decision and every invoice?

I know this sounds tough but you need to have your business head on from the start. I learned the hard way 12 years ago - I'd hate for anyone else to go through the same.

When you discuss your fee system with them, don't be hesitant or apologetic. Be confident and professional with a "This is how we do it ... you want me to hold a 32 hour contracted place for you each week which you may or may not use in full. I am very happy to do that but I do need to be paid a minimum amount of hours each week in order to be able to hold this place for you. This minimum payment guarantees that the place will always be available for you to use" Something like that

Oh and I would also agree with them how far in advance you are going to know of the hours you will be working each week - you don't want them just turning up on the day - makes planning impossible!

Good luck - I will keep my fingers crossed for you. Welcome to childminding
    Last edited by Bridey; 15-05-2012 at 07:21 AM.

Penny1959 Guest

I would also agree on a minimum amount to be paid each week that covers the first so many hours - in your case maybe for 25 hours - then a higher rate for any hours in addition to this.

However if you are needing to earn a certain amount per week I would say they have to pay for the maximum number of hours they need - and point out that you are losing money each week as can't fill the hours that they don't use each week.

Good luck - always a difficult decission - quoting for shift work

Penny

May 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

When I first started I just charged for the hours used, I had 2 families doing shift work and I couldn't have started my business without them.
    One of these families now has 2 children, 1 comes full time the other ad hoc but it means I'm earning over £600 a month from them.
    The other have stayed with me through thick and thin, money problems, because they couldn't find anyone that could provide what I can, they're also very happy with the support I've given them so it's not just the money and they've increased their hours too.
    I've since taken on another 2 families who do shift work and charged them for the hours they use, I try to be as flexible as I can and the families really appreciate it, they've all come from nurseries that were charging full day rates whether the child was there or not.
    It would be nice to have a garenteed amount but I'm just greatful for the weeks when I have an extra little bit and I try to save it for when I'm short.
    I think it depends how desperate you are for business, if you do it the way I did make sure you get confirmation of shift patterns in advance, they can change but not that often! and be aware of the changing amount of money.

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Another option would be to charge a half fee retainer for the hours they don't use.

Jan 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 1 family who pay me the same every week regardless of how many hours used. I suppose Im lucky really ,but it is for 2 kids and could not afford not to charge for 2 kids 2 days per week. Hope you get it sorted

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would probably offer a 25 hours a week minimum fee and they pay for the extra hours when they go above the 25 - Ive done this several times over the years and parents have always understood that it is a compromise for us both

Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for all your replies.
    She's just rung me to discuss fees so i'm glad I'd looked on here first!
    I told her I would need 25 hours minimum and it would be a bit more per hour for any over this. She said she definitely only wants to pay for hours used and it could be as low as 10 hours odd weeks as her mom will now be helping out too.
    I just said that I wasn't happy to do that and the minimum hours was what I needed to be paid.

She's getting back to me , but it is right that I can't just jump at first one if it's not right. I'm still working weekends at my current job so not desperate yet.

I have another baby coming round this week too she also works different days but she does 2 days out of tues, wed and thurs. she will be working 8-5 and will happily pay for the three days each week even though she is only using 2

Just got to wait and see what happens now.
    Thanks for your help
    Stacey

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well done Stacey, I think you have acted very professionally. Its up to her if she accepts your terms but it seems to me they are on a money saving mission and would be messing you about on hours, giving you the absolute minimum.

You could call her back and offer her 'ad hoc' care. This is when they don't pay a minimum fee and don't pay a retainer but ring you up and see if you are available. You don't have to be but if you have space and are happy to take the child then the fee would be a bonus. Fees should (in my mind 'MUST') be paid up front to book the day and you set a minimum amount of notice you would require to work so you can plan effectively. I would recommend you charge a slightly higher hourly rate for this sort of work.

However, this way she is not guaranteed a place - its up to you if you are available or not. That's the risk she has to take. This may suit the parent much more and would give you extra experience and income while you are still trying to fill spaces or would maybe fill in where a part timer has left a day/few hours free.

Good luck with your other enquiries too

Jan 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hi - I have a shift worker child

Hi, I am in a very similar position and this is my first family too. I work anything from 2 days to 4.5 days per week. So I have contracted them to a minimum payment of 2.5 days per week. Obviously anything over the 2.5 days they pay for, so I am not out of pocket!! The only thing I would say, if you want to work every day, then a shift worker child, limits you. It suits me fine, as I wasnt looking for working every day.

Hope that makes sense and helps.

Good luck

Vickie
    x