Ideas for spending some money
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ideas for spending some money

I’m (hopefully) about to receive a refund of just over £200 from my LA as part of my start up grant.

I’ve got two children of my own so have all the necessary ‘equipment’ such as high chair, buggy, car seats etc so I’ve decided to spend the money on extra play resources.

I have two boys and I'm more than aware that our current toys are very boy-orientated (and plastic!). What would you recommend I spend the money on? I’m looking for either must-haves for both genders or some new ideas.

I’ve already got my eye on some kind of builder’s tray for messy play but apart from that, I don’t know quite where to start. £200 when you go shopping doesn't go very far...

Can anyone help??

Feb 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Some ideas that I have found really worthwhile and liked by boys & girls, young and older are :

If you can get to one IKEA sells fabric food sets ( fruit, veg, sandwiches & puddings) which are washable and their bright plastic plates, cups & dishes great starter for a home corner.

Though quite expensive HAMA Maxi beads you can get templates that appeal to both boys & girls and being larger the beads can be used for other activities - eg threading.
    They can also be spotted when they end up on the floor.

Magnetic drawing boards, readily available on the high street, are another great toy for all.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are getting a refund haven't you already spent the money? I would keep it and use it when you need to
    Debbie

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Resources that can be / do lots of different things - blocks, Lego, dressing up clothes (capes, hats etc), train track and trains, cars and a big floor mat, treasure basket for the babies.

Enjoy spending!

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

stuff for the garden? sand / water play or extra ride on cars?

I just spent about £50 building up my craft resources as I always do it on a 'I want to do this so i need to buy that' factor and it always ends up costing me more like that. Now I have coloured paper, card, tissue paper,felt, more colouring pens, paints, clay, feathers, foam shapes, glue, extra aprons, anything that you could imagine that you would need for cutting, painting, sticking gluing etc!!

I found for 'girls' stuff that charity shops were ok for dolls, baths, pushchairs, dressing up - the ones who play with it the most? My own boys of course!

I would definitely put some aside as you will think as you go along depending on what children you have and what you want to do with them 'ah i could do with some....' and it would be nice to have some set aside for that.

Mar 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Some great ideas. Thanks!

Definitely do need craft stuff as I've steered clear of that so far - have always meant to get bits but never got round to it!

We're very short of any dressing up clothes too so may keep an eye out.

DS2 always makes a beeline for the dolls and pram at toddler groups - he'd love dolls at home!

One thing my inspector did mention was my lack of puppets(!) - any that can be recommended as a good basic starter set?

Thanks again all x