Planning for Children........Im confused!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    june 91
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Planning for Children........Im confused!

Ive always enjoyed a certain amount of planning similiar to what alot of us do on here ie road safety, Spiders, a Particular nursrery rhyme the children like etc etc and then planning from it individually for the children depending on likes/stages etc.Then I move on with what takes the childrens interest.

Yesterday my development worker (who has been very helpful to us in switching to EYFS advice) said I really should stop all planning. She said I should literally just plan activities from my obs.Nothing more.

She said the planning was great for Birth To Three but really not at all relevant now (even for the older children) Im not sure what to do.What do you do???

June 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Planning for Children........Im confused!

I would continue doing what you are happy with doing. If you feel you work better with doing the planning you have been doing, continue to do it your way, its not hurting anyone.

I only have babies and toddlers under 2 at the mo and I plan more than I need to because it helps me to fill my day and I know what to do.

Do whats best for you, its not right or wrong

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think you should point your development worker towards the inspection reports that are on the Ofsted website.

They are saying things like ...

Use systematic observations to plan relevant and motivating learning experiences for each child

Ensure equal focus is given to all aspects of the Early Years Foundation Stage curriculum

Link weekly planning to the six areas of learning

Include input from other providers when planning activities to promote individual children's next steps in learning

Your development worker appears out of date with current Ofsted thinking

mar oo
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My do has also said that we dont need to have any plans written down for individual children or in general as long as we can verbally tell ofted how we would tailor activities to each child thats all we need ,Mind you she also said we did not need to do written obs ,which seems very wrong to me .Wish they would all sing from the same sheet so we stand a chance of knowing what is expected from us.
    jackie