PDA

View Full Version : Teachers and term time only

20-01-2010, 02:49 PM
If you have a teacher that wants a term time only contract for their LO, do you do any charges for school hols???? Bit of a sticky one and wasn't sure what to do. It's for 2 LOs too so would be 2 spaces of mine that would essentially be taken up. I wouldn't mind for the odd half term here and there but am worried that over the 6 week summer break I could be a tad skint lol

edayhouse
20-01-2010, 03:07 PM
i am going to be in the same boat soon - 5 days per week, full days term time then nothing during holidays - i was thinking that i would charge a 1/2 fee retainer for the holidays minus my 4 weeks holidays per year - full fee for term time then add up and divide to make payments every month over 12 month period
Does that make sense? Although alot of people have told me to never do monthly payments??
x

Mrs Book
20-01-2010, 03:14 PM
I would love to be a term time only CM. At least that way I get chance to do stuff with my children in hols and not have to worry about going places as we all wouldn't get in the car :)

Think I would charge half fees for hols. If we were away at the same time then not charge at all.

littlestar
20-01-2010, 03:18 PM
hi i have a teacher on my books she pays a retainer in hols of half her normal fee so she can keep the place in hols whenever is needed its also good for the summer hols as its a long time break you could just do term time tho and take on full time in hols for parents who need hols only :)

Chimps Childminding
20-01-2010, 03:27 PM
[QUOTE=littlestar;619658]hi i have a teacher on my books she pays a retainer in hols of half her normal fee so she can keep the place in hols whenever is needed its also good for the summer hols as its a long time break

That is what I do. My lo was only 6 months old when she started so she was taking up my under 1 space. I explained to mum that I would need half fees during the holidays to keep the space open and she was ok with it!!

grindal
20-01-2010, 03:30 PM
When I used to be a teacher I paid half fees during my holidays. Now as a childminder I look after teachers children. They all pay half fees during holidays and are happy to do so

amanda1309
20-01-2010, 04:03 PM
I charge a retainer for the holidays for teachers children.
For the last 2 years all of my under 5's were siblings and full time term time so all of my spaces were taken.
Not had many issues with them paying the retainer.

avril
20-01-2010, 04:07 PM
Yes, I too charge a half fee retainer for the holidays 2 of my mindees are school teachers children so I only work 2 days out of 5 in the holidays, it's great!!!!:jump for joy:

westbrom44
20-01-2010, 04:21 PM
Hello, I have two teachers and they both pay all year except when I am on holiday. They both do their planning in the school holidays and send their children for shorter days, even though they both still pay for 10 hours days. I have never offered term time only contracts for under 5s as I cant afford to.

singlewiththree
20-01-2010, 06:12 PM
I don't charge in the holiday but I get paid monthly the fee was divided through the year so I don't get left with no money in the 6 weeks holiday.

Ripeberry
20-01-2010, 06:17 PM
I do term-time only as I'm not available during holidays anyway so I don't charge anything. But during the long holidays I might just say that I'm available for one or two days during the holidays, just so that the mindee still remembers me.

Rasharoon
20-01-2010, 07:12 PM
I currently mind children whose parents are teachers and I charge a 50% retainer fee. They've never had a problem with it. I take 5 weeks holiday per year so don't charge.

Curly Quavers
20-01-2010, 08:42 PM
I have every intention to only offer term time care after my youngest dd goes to school in 18 months.

At the moment I have 1 term time only LO and I charge half fee for 12 weeks of year add it to the 40 weeks full rate and split over 52 weeks. So I get paid the same every week (so I'm not skint in summer hols)

The Juggler
20-01-2010, 09:53 PM
I don't charge in the holiday but I get paid monthly the fee was divided through the year so I don't get left with no money in the 6 weeks holiday.

I do that too.

solly
20-01-2010, 10:20 PM
I have teachers children and they pay 1/2 in the holidays and they can use the space if they want it. Both families are 2 days term time and then they pay 1 day in the hols

funfunfun
23-01-2010, 03:55 PM
can i ask do they pay a one off fee for the holidays or do they pay half of their weekly fee every week ??

Just being nosie

fionamal
23-01-2010, 04:17 PM
My term time only kids pay an extra 50p per hour so that they dont pay anything during the school hols which I have 3 out of their 5days covered with afterschoolers anyway.

I tend to take the school hols anyway so its really only the 5 weeks during the summer thats affected.

Wizbit80
24-03-2010, 09:36 PM
i look after 2 LO who are only term time so i divided the weeks up 47 full 5 half and divided it so i get the same amount every month - works out better so still get same regardless

i amd also a teacher looking for more term time kids - so much easier for me and hubby both teachers

Daisy1956
24-03-2010, 11:34 PM
i used to mind term time only i used to charge full fee for term time, half fee for hols, add together and divided by 12 so i got the same fee each month. Hope this helps.

littletreasures
25-03-2010, 07:08 AM
All my mindees are teacher's children.

The parents pay me half fees to keep the space open. They never use me for care during the holidays. I invoice them the same as normal and just half the total figure. I send invoices out on 22nd of the month by email so they have time to set up the BACS as it is different each month. I get the vouchers automatically each month into my account and then the parents just top up the difference.

singlewiththree
25-03-2010, 07:30 AM
I dont get paid for the holidays however they pay me all year so it doesn't feel like I'm going without

louised
25-03-2010, 08:15 AM
I have had an enquiry from a teacher who wants full time care for twins but doesn't want to pay in the holidays so I was thinking of adding up the fees over the year then dividing it by the number of weeks of care she needs so that I am paid the same every week

doodles
25-03-2010, 08:22 AM

Thats what im doing with my full timer :D

solly
25-03-2010, 09:16 AM
I charge 1/2 fee in the holidays and am available if they want me to have them I have one LO at the moment and i have her 2 days a week so in the holiday she pays me for one. I am pretty flexible as to which day she uses out of her contracted days

Bushpig
25-03-2010, 09:45 AM
To be frank I don't want to get no/half fees during all the teacher's holidays. My bills remain the same.

I've had teachers inquire but I have never been that keen, as they're always wanting not to pay during hols/seem resistant to paying much - I just don't need the hassle. My parents pay me full fees while they're on holiday and that's that.

sandy64
25-03-2010, 09:49 AM
can i ask do they pay a one off fee for the holidays or do they pay half of their weekly fee every week ??

Just being nosie

hi they would pay half fee for every week of hols but in a lump fee before lo finished for hol but if they wanted to come weekly to pay in advance i would of excepted that.

Toothfairy
25-03-2010, 10:42 AM
I have two families with parents as teachers, so the children are term time only.

What I do, Is charge them full fees term time and half fees in the holidays to keep their spaces open for them.

I add up all the full fees for the year and all the half fees for the year and divide them by 12, to give me a monthly figure.

They then pay me the same amount each month wether its term time or holidays. This way it gives me a regular monthly income.

HTH :thumbsup:

Ripeberry
25-03-2010, 11:34 AM
I'm term-time only and I'm thinking of offering my 'teacher parent' a couple of days a week during the long holidays, depending on when they go on holiday and when we go, then I might only be doing it for 3 weeks max, so basically 6X sessions.
But at least it will bring some money in and the mindee won't 'forget' me :o

funemnx
25-03-2010, 01:20 PM
I've minded for quite a few teachers now. What I've always done is charge 1/2 the contracted hours in the school holidays as a retainer. If I've had the child/children for the odd day or two, I've just charged the normal hourly rate.

Mummits
27-03-2010, 08:20 PM
All my mindees are now on term time only contracts, though I also have one boy (who is the same age as my eldest and has really become a friend) for holidays only. I don't charge for school holidays and that is why I think I have attracted teachers and parents who work in education. I do do odd days in the holidays to keep in touch with the little ones and for odd bits and pieces like when mum or dad is doing exam marking or prep, and I just charge an ad hoc rate for the hours used. I charge a reasonably high hourly rate for this area (though not the highest), but remind parents they need to compare the annual cost and bear in mind that most nurseries and many childminders around here will be charging 52 weeks a year. I work out my annual figure and divide it by 11 to give a monthly charge - the payment at the end of July being for September, with no payment in August. This seems to suit most parents as they get a month payment free at the time when they need spending money for holidays, but it also means I will know at the end of July that they are committed to returning in September (or not!).