Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I am both very experienced (20 years in early years) and very qualified. When I look for someone to care for my child, I look at the person who is going to be caring for my child and I look at my child and at how my child's needs are being met. I will only leave my child with an individual who cares for my child in the way I want them cared for. I want a person who can intuitively support my child's learning, not lead it.

Qualifications are neither here nor there. I want someone who will be my replacement for while I am unable to be there with him. I want a pseudo me, not a person with a fat portfolio, or no portfolio, I want a specific kind of person regardless of what certificates they may or may not have.

When I leave my child in an educational institution, where he is expected to learn a set syllabus, I want my child to be taught by a person who has been taught to teach that syllabus, and qualified in it.

When my child was in nursery, the government funded sessions that are designed to ensure school readiness, I wanted someone who was qualified to support my son in this, and to have a good knowledge of his development.

But, when I want my child cared for and nurtured and supported in his holistic development I want a caring, nurturing and supportive person to do this. A piece of paper is just a piece of paper, it's not a ticket to the perfect daycarer for my child.

As I say, I am very qualified and very experienced so this is not me getting defensive about not having the qualifications you specify, cos I do have them - but they are irrelevant to my ability to provide caring, supportive and intuitive care for my little charges.

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by singingcactus View Post
    I am both very experienced (20 years in early years) and very qualified. When I look for someone to care for my child, I look at the person who is going to be caring for my child and I look at my child and at how my child's needs are being met. I will only leave my child with an individual who cares for my child in the way I want them cared for. I want a person who can intuitively support my child's learning, not lead it.

Qualifications are neither here nor there. I want someone who will be my replacement for while I am unable to be there with him. I want a pseudo me, not a person with a fat portfolio, or no portfolio, I want a specific kind of person regardless of what certificates they may or may not have.

When I leave my child in an educational institution, where he is expected to learn a set syllabus, I want my child to be taught by a person who has been taught to teach that syllabus, and qualified in it.

When my child was in nursery, the government funded sessions that are designed to ensure school readiness, I wanted someone who was qualified to support my son in this, and to have a good knowledge of his development.

But, when I want my child cared for and nurtured and supported in his holistic development I want a caring, nurturing and supportive person to do this. A piece of paper is just a piece of paper, it's not a ticket to the perfect daycarer for my child.

As I say, I am very qualified and very experienced so this is not me getting defensive about not having the qualifications you specify, cos I do have them - but they are irrelevant to my ability to provide caring, supportive and intuitive care for my little charges.

Pipsqueak Guest

Thinking more on this... the childminder I chose for my son (whilst I was studying for my degree) has a level 3 and that is it, she keeps up to date with 'stuff' etc.

However, even without training or qualifications she is a wonderful minder - who cares from the bottom of her heart, everything she does revolves around the child - her home is so welcoming and warm, she is great at what she does, she is a natural at what she does too (Ofsted recognised all this and she gained an Outstanding so deservedly).

She is an inspirational lady and I would choose her over many others I have been on courses with hands down every single time.

I know some minders who attend every single course going because they think it makes them look interested and good.... what they don't realise it that they need to apply what they have learned !

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    Childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

I simply asked a question, it would open a big can of worms as everyone has different opinions no one is right or wrong. Rickysmiths- I'm sure your practise is great and you don't need a cypw to prove that, you have said about your experience and I respect your opinion. It's just interesting to hear all childminders views.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    Childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mummyme View Post
    I dont think you'll find many childminders out there who havn't had safeguarding training. Ofsted like us to have that.
    As a childminder I know how important this is from dealing with situations its important to be confident about safeguarding.

Sept 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting discussion.
    I have a Foundation Degree in Early Years and believe I am a better childminder since studying, for me, this was the right thing to do.
    Do I think that all childminders should gain a qualification - absolutely NOT - this is a personal decision which should be made by the person concerned. Some of the best childminders I know have no childcare qualifications at all, they are fantastic at their jobs, are knowledgable and I wouldn't hesitate in recommending them. I base this on their interactions with the children which to me is the most important thing.
    I know its not the "professional" thing to say but I think that huge parts of this job are instinctive - the way we respond and interact with children, the way we work with parents for example. I would argue that things like this can only be taught to a certain extent in a classroom and that for some people it is the experience of actually "doing the job" that develops these skills.

Not sure if that makes sense!

Oct 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 daughters, 2 1/2 and 6 months. My eldest has been going to a childminder for nearly 2 years.

When we were looking for childcare 2 years ago, my husband and i looked at several childminders, 1 educated to degree level, 1 with level 3 in childcare and one with no qualifiactions and I have to say the childminder with no formal qualifications was by far the best out of them all.

She strives to improve herself though attending traininng courses, personal development and constantly assessing her own practice. The other 2 childminders qualified in education and early years hadnt attended any courses in the 18 months up too me visiting. When asked why both responded that their degree, qualification taught them so much they didnt need to access any additional training at the time. All they had done was their safeguarding and ICP.

My daughter was so much more at ease with the unqualified childminder than either of the other 2, on our visit she crawled over to her and sat on her knee (she was only 8 months at our first visit) that too me told me everything i needed to know. And to this day my daughter still loves going to her, she even hurryies me out of the door on a Wednesday morning shouting the childminders name!

Even when i went on maternity leave my husband and i decided that we would still like her to go 1 day a week for 6 hours a day and she still loves to go, if she didnt we wouldnt send her, however i get a few hours 1-1 with my youngest and Charlotte gets a lovely day with her childminder and her other mindees. If she didnt enjoy going we would not send her.

I understand that these 2 'qualified' childminders are in the minority, i simply wanted to highlight that not all unqualified childminders should be overlooked because they are just as good as a qualified person. Me personally i would always choose a childminder with experience and no qualifiactions that someone who is qualified but doesnt feel right.

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jodie1989 View Post
    I simply asked a question, it would open a big can of worms as everyone has different opinions no one is right or wrong. Rickysmiths- I'm sure your practise is great and you don't need a cypw to prove that, you have said about your experience and I respect your opinion. It's just interesting to hear all childminders views.
    Don't worry, it's a good 'can of worms'. Opens up a discussion and it's been very interesting for everyone
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    Childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ripeberry View Post
    Don't worry, it's a good 'can of worms'. Opens up a discussion and it's been very interesting for everyone
    Thank you I was beginning to feel like a baddy for asking a question on peoples opinions.

Pipsqueak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jodie1989 View Post
    Thank you I was beginning to feel like a baddy for asking a question on peoples opinions.
    Blimey this has been a very tame discussion! lol

we are not like other forums - we are civilised! lol

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsqueak View Post
    Blimey this has been a very tame discussion! lol

we are not like other forums - we are civilised! lol
    My thoughts exactly (except for the Ape of course )
    Pauline x

Apr 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been childminding for 3 years, been a parent for 6 years.

At the start of this year I passed the new level 3 diploma - I might have been one of the first in the country to complete it as far as cache communicated to me. I am starting my Foundation Degree in Early years in Feb next year.

I am qualified in terms of my daily demonstration that I know my apples, the natural ease I have around children, the enjoyment I get from my job, the reassurance I give parents that the wellfare of their children is paramount - my further qualifications have merely solidified my knowledge and given me personal growth. When parents interview me its the interaction between me and the children, my professional attitude and the good vibe they get that I am right for their family. Most people have already decided their child is coing to me - because they have seen me do my job, seen me with the childre, have been reccommended - and are not really interested in any formal qualifications.

I communicate any qualifications I have received to existing parents - it reassures them that I am working hard to develop, it shows that I am a professional - but would they stop using me if i'd not hit the books, not attended course? no I doubt it - because its the 'experience' that matters more to them.
    triangle sandwiches are better than square ones...

Pipsqueak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pauline View Post
    My thoughts exactly (except for the Ape of course )
    ahhh but the Ape is just untameable!!! lol

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

the good Cm's i know range from unqualified to qualified with litttle expeirence to lots. the not so hot ones, the same range of backgrounds.

those good minders who take qualifications become better those that are not so hot, don't change just because they go on courses. they store the certificate and carry on as before.

i think wanting to do the best and keep up to date is a personal choice and not down to any qualification or experience.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12