Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Oct 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Paediatric First Aid new info

Just a heads up really after attending a recent first aid course, there's talk of childminders requiring an AED (defribrillulator) within the next 3 years at a cost of around £700 - £1200

Not just childminders, but all public places such as pubs, clubs, supermarkets etc too. The reasoning behind it is the dramatic increase in saving lives following a study in the states, as currently only around 6% of lives are saved, compared with 76% in the states where these devices are readily available in every store, supermarket, library etc

Anyone else heard this?
    Lets hope the price comes down too!

June 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to do De-fib training once a year for my job at the Emergency Unit but I've not heard anything about it in regards to CMing.
    Toothfairy

jun 79
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstandingb
    Post Thanks / Like

We were told the same at our course a few weeks ago !!!! I certainly would not like to be in the position where i had to do this procedure .
    Sue x

May '09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Unless it is made part of legislation or EYFS welfare requirements I don't see how we will have to have them in our settings.

I do see the benefit of them, but if it does become necessary that they are in all public places, hopefully the price will come down because of mass production.

Oct 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

a CM friend of mine has just done her 1st aid course and was told exactly the same thing.

i totally understand the reasoning behind us having them but can you imagine every childcare setting in the country paying out this kind of money for the equipment personally, i just couldn't afford that kind of money

jo x

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I can understand nurseries and schools needing this sort of equipment as there are more people using the setting, but us with our small numbers and the high cost is ridiculous

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I have just completed my first aid course and we weren't told that. It's an absurd outlay!!!!

sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

That kind of outlay would put me out of business. I presume would need some kind of annual servicing to ensure it worked properly too, so more outlay there. Not to mention the additional training in order to use the thing.

Penny1959 Guest

I am aware of some first aid trainers suggesting that cm's need to have one and that without one we would be putting the children at risk.

However I am also aware of some first aid trainers giving completely incorrect information re cm's and inhalers, cm's and permission forms, cm's and using an amblulance and so on.

Therefore unless it does become a requirement of EYFS (or another 'official body' ) - there is no need to panic

I think it will be a very good idea to have an AED in public places where large numbers of people go - but as we operate from domestic premises with only a few people passing through - in % terms the advantage would be very small.
    It would be interesting to find out how many lives could have been saved in a childminding setting if AED's had been in place - as if I thought there was a reasonable risk that I would have call to use one and thereforer save a life - I would invest in one.

Penny

Post Thanks / Like

Surely defibrillators are more commonly used on adults rather than children. If that is the case I am obviously much more likely to need defibrillating than my mindees (being at least 4 decades older) . Is anyone prepared to run a training course for my 2.5 yr old so that he knows what to do with it

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We're not allowed to use antiseptic wipes, creams or sticky plasters, but they want us to have an AED

I can't see it ever coming into force for home settings as I don't see the need. I wouldn't have thought you were even supposed to use them on an under 5 without strict medical supervision. I know they are appearing all over the place now, which is a good thing, but surely they're more for adults than children?

onceinabluemoon Guest

I haven't heard this and only recently did my paeds first aid.

I've just done AED training (exam next week) and nothing was mentioned then about CMs needing them either.

Ps, who said we're not allowed to use plasters?

Nov 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You can get basic models for £200-£300, which by then will be £100-£200 - it's pie in the sky at the moment though, so don't worry (yet)!
    Blaze x

onceinabluemoon Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
    You can get basic models for £200-£300, which by then will be £100-£200 - it's pie in the sky at the moment though, so don't worry (yet)!
    Seriously? The cheapest I have seen was £980... Do you have a link please? x

Oct 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

ditto about the plaster question i thought we were allowed to use a hypo allergenic plaster with parents permission of course ?

my local NCMA rep said she is getting very worried about the misleading info that is being given out on 1st aid courses, again, more conflicting info...... it doesn't make our jobs any easier
    jo x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joannetalbot View Post
    ditto about the plaster question i thought we were allowed to use a hypo allergenic plaster with parents permission of course ?

my local NCMA rep said she is getting very worried about the misleading info that is being given out on 1st aid courses, again, more conflicting info...... it doesn't make our jobs any easier
    jo x
    I was being flippant about the plasters Many years ago we were told that we couldn't use them incase a child had a reaction to them (even if we had parental permission). I don't think hypoallergenic ones had been invented then I've never had them in my first aid box since and have to say, I have never needed them. If I need something I use those little pads (can't think of the name) and micropore tape.

sept 10
    Post Thanks / Like

There will be no new childminders setting up then if this becomes part of the set ufe costs at that price. And I personally would worry about the implications about using such a devise and making a mistake. I know they would make you do training but things happen so they would also have to cover you for such use on you insurance meaning that will probably go up too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sillysausage View Post
    Surely defibrillators are more commonly used on adults rather than children. If that is the case I am obviously much more likely to need defibrillating than my mindees (being at least 4 decades older) . Is anyone prepared to run a training course for my 2.5 yr old so that he knows what to do with it
    I agree!!! It is more likely to be adults needing it than children I can understand the need in shopping centres, supermarkets, leisure centres etc but to have one at what is effectively a home seems absurd to me!!

As you said it is more likely to be us that needs it than the children!!!

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Been told the same thing

The way I understand it: the machine (or at least the one we were shown, retailing at approx £800) tells you what to do so there's no room for error, the battery lasts about 3-5 years if on standby, and even tells you when it needs replacing or if a fault has occured....

....just need it to learn to make a brew, fill in learning journeys and do the accounts for me lol

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissie H View Post
    Been told the same thing

The way I understand it: the machine (or at least the one we were shown, retailing at approx £800) tells you what to do so there's no room for error, the battery lasts about 3-5 years if on standby, and even tells you when it needs replacing or if a fault has occured....

....just need it to learn to make a brew, fill in learning journeys and do the accounts for me lol
    On our course last year we were told that anyone can use them in a public place as the machine talks you through and if you arent doing it right it wont send the shock.

Having said that, with the few people who pass through our homes, I cant see the justification and will wait and see

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast