Feb 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    13/03/11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Level 3 Diploma for the Children & Young People's Workforce

Hi everyone

I am starting this course next week through home study and wondering how everyone else is finding it, I am quite worried about being disciplined enough and finding the time, as all I seem to do is paperwork paperwork PAPERWORK at the mo!! Only began minding in March!

Any tips for books etc would be great, thanks all

Jackie x

onceinabluemoon Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JumpingJacks View Post
    Hi everyone

I am starting this course next week through home study and wondering how everyone else is finding it, I am quite worried about being disciplined enough and finding the time, as all I seem to do is paperwork paperwork PAPERWORK at the mo!! Only began minding in March!

Jackie x
    I've just started it through distance learning too! Not being very disciplined though

Registered Childminder since
    Feb 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    13/03/11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by onceinabluemoon View Post
    I've just started it through distance learning too! Not being very disciplined though
    Glad I am not the only one lol, hoping once my routine is sorted that I will be able to find a regular slot of time for it! Us childminders need a "pause time" button!

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I've just started it too and already stressing with task 1 producing an information sheet!!! i could produce a booklet with all the infomation i have but not sure what is neccesary and what is not please somebody help!!!!

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

I have just started this couse and have got my 1st tutorial on tuesday. Work needed to be done is story board and legislation policy & procedures.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have just started this.

I am doing it by attending monthly study days on a Sat, the second one was yesterday.
    I am actally surprised that this course is able to be offered as an online learning option. Part of it is being observed in the 'workplace' I will have at least 4 of these observations over the next 12 months plus visits by my Assessor through the time to check my Evidence file and make sure I am on track with my work.

We also have to sit a GCSE in Maths and English if our own GCSEs are more than 3 years old (a Government requirement apparently) ha ha I took mine in 1970!!!! We were refered to the BBC Bitesize web site for our practice!!

I must confess I wouldn't want to be doing it without regular contact with a tutor because so much of it is written for settings and not childminders and it is very helpful having a tutor who is ex-Ncma who changes it into our 'language' so to speak. There are 13 of us on the course and only one works in a pre-school the rest of us are cms. We are all gaining loads by sharing ideas and practice as well.

We have done:
    U3 2.3 &4
    U5 1.3, U5 1.1, U5 2.1
    U6 1.1,2,3, 4&5, 3.3
    U8 4.1, 4.3
    U9 1.2 & 2.1 & 2.3 & 3.1 &3.2 & 4.1,
    U11 1.1, 1.2, 3.1, 3.2, 2.1,2, &3
    U12 1.2, 3.1, 2,3 &4
    U14 1.2
    U15 1.1, 2.1 &2.2, 2.3 & 4.1 & 4.2 & 4.3,
    U24 3.1 &2 &3
    U28 1.1, 3.1& 3.2 &3.3 & 3.4 & 3.5,
    U45 1.3, 3.1 &2

The 2 days have covered The Early Years Sector, Partnership Working. We have also done Unit 5 - Develop relationships with children, young people and others involved in their care.
    We have also had to complete a First Workplace Evidence Collection Plan which had to give a Job Description with duties and responsibilities shown. Policies and Proceedures, Hygiene practice all had to be evaluated against current legislation and give recommendations for improvements.

If anyone wants any more info please feel free to pm me.

IE 3,4,6, SM5,6, RL1,2,3,5,6

Nov 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Am glad I saw this thread - I start mine next week so will be pestering you all for lots of help!!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Newbie1! View Post
    Am glad I saw this thread - I start mine next week so will be pestering you all for lots of help!!
    No problem! Just remember I may be pestering you as well!

Nov 10
    Post Thanks / Like

He He!!

onceinabluemoon Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post

I am doing it by attending monthly study days on a Sat, the second one was yesterday.
    I am actally surprised that this course is able to be offered as an online learning option. Part of it is being observed in the 'workplace' I will have at least 4 of these observations over the next 12 months plus visits by my Assessor through the time to check my Evidence file and make sure I am on track with my work.
    I cant speak for the others but for my part 'distance learning' means we dont actually get taught anything we have to teach ourselves. I did actually think we would get some sort of information on handouts etc but all I get given is questions. I am appalled but dont want to rock the boat as I cannot get to a venue to do the course. I haven't even been given a reading list!

I do get the assessor coming to observe me and have to do various objectives whilst she is here as well as just general observation.

I'm not being very good at disciplining myself. Last week I spent all day Saturday writing notes and making mind-maps so I could easily write it all up on Saturday night and then spent Saturday night in hospital. I haven't had time to get back to it since and have now forgotten most of what I read...

Feb 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    13/03/11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post

We also have to sit a GCSE in Maths and English if our own GCSEs are more than 3 years old (a Government requirement apparently) ha ha I took mine in 1970!!!! We were refered to the BBC Bitesize web site for our practice!!

I must confess I wouldn't want to be doing it without regular contact with a tutor because so much of it is written for settings and not childminders and it is very helpful having a tutor who is ex-Ncma who changes it into our 'language' so to speak. There are 13 of us on the course and only one works in a pre-school the rest of us are cms. We are all gaining loads by sharing ideas and practice as well.

We have done:
    U3 2.3 &4
    U5 1.3, U5 1.1, U5 2.1
    U6 1.1,2,3, 4&5, 3.3
    U8 4.1, 4.3
    U9 1.2 & 2.1 & 2.3 & 3.1 &3.2 & 4.1,
    U11 1.1, 1.2, 3.1, 3.2, 2.1,2, &3
    U12 1.2, 3.1, 2,3 &4
    U14 1.2
    U15 1.1, 2.1 &2.2, 2.3 & 4.1 & 4.2 & 4.3,
    U24 3.1 &2 &3
    U28 1.1, 3.1& 3.2 &3.3 & 3.4 & 3.5,
    U45 1.3, 3.1 &2

The 2 days have covered The Early Years Sector, Partnership Working. We have also done Unit 5 - Develop relationships with children, young people and others involved in their care.
    We have also had to complete a First Workplace Evidence Collection Plan which had to give a Job Description with duties and responsibilities shown. Policies and Proceedures, Hygiene practice all had to be evaluated against current legislation and give recommendations for improvements.

If anyone wants any more info please feel free to pm me.

IE 3,4,6, SM5,6, RL1,2,3,5,6
    HI

Thanks for your feedback, Luckily the course provides a visit from a tutor every six weeks and telephone support, not the perfect seario but it fits i perfectly with my commitments outside of working hours. I wanted to do it through college but this company offered it for free so I am afraid I took the free option
    I have recently completed my keys skills level 2 so don't need to do the GCSEs which is good
    Are there any books you would recommend please?

Thanks

Jac

Feb 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    13/03/11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by onceinabluemoon View Post
    I cant speak for the others but for my part 'distance learning' means we dont actually get taught anything we have to teach ourselves. I did actually think we would get some sort of information on handouts etc but all I get given is questions. I am appalled but dont want to rock the boat as I cannot get to a venue to do the course. I haven't even been given a reading list!

I do get the assessor coming to observe me and have to do various objectives whilst she is here as well as just general observation.

I'm not being very good at disciplining myself. Last week I spent all day Saturday writing notes and making mind-maps so I could easily write it all up on Saturday night and then spent Saturday night in hospital. I haven't had time to get back to it since and have now forgotten most of what I read...
    What company are you doing yours with? Hope you don't mind me asking as this doesn't sound great

Apr 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I've just started too. The first task was the information page, which I already had in my parent pack, I just altered it slightly. The second task was to explain the 5 EYFS welfare requirements - that took a long time but I managed it. I'm now doing Duty of Care and Health and Safety - both to be handed in next week and I'm struggling.

It's very time consuming and to be honest, I wish I hadn't started.

Linda.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Gosh. I considered distance learning but decided t was too expensive and I refuse to pay so much to do an 'A' Level.

My course is being done by Smart Training. I have been lucky because the Government are funding £1500, Herts EY are giving £250 so all I have had to pay is £250, that is why I went for it I don't suppose it will ever be as cheap as this again.

Smart have loads of resourses on line and the Tutors put their notes on line or email them to us after each study day. onceinabluemoon they actually say that we don't kneed to buy any text books, but if we did want to get one they recommmended the Penny Tassioni one for the Diploma. It is cheapest on Amazon.

It is taking me a while to get into it. It is 20yrs since I last did any long study. I do feel a little more confident after yeaterday and glad we have a Tutor who knows cms well and how we tick. Now I've got to get the work done!
    Last edited by rickysmiths; 08-05-2011 at 01:54 PM.

onceinabluemoon Guest

I have that book! Woohoo I bought it when I decided to do the course as a bit of light reading beforehand. Its fab!

Its not a company, its a local college thats doing the course. And its fully funded which is always good! Maybe this time I see the assessor she'll have some more info for me.

I'm currently doing CYP 3.1 (unit 22)

Non childminder member
    business
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    If you are interested in doing your CYPW Diploma there is funding available-(providing you do not already have a level 2 or above qualification) with Childcare Training for You which will enable you to do this course free of charge! You will not have to attend any workshops either as the assessors support 1-2-1 in your own home during your usual childminding hours.
    If you would like anymore info give me a call or drop me a message on here. My number is 07415 091437
    Good luck with your search and awards
    Regards
    Julie

nov 06
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JumpingJacks View Post
    Hi everyone

Jackie x
    Hi Jackie, I have juststarted nvq 3.... amazon are selling a book based on the nvq3, it is released 24th june 2011 I think. Hope everything goews well for you

aug 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

Hoping to start my nvq in september,it's been 30 years since any major studying so hope i can manage it

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amandaj View Post
    Hi Jackie, I have juststarted nvq 3.... amazon are selling a book based on the nvq3, it is released 24th june 2011 I think. Hope everything goews well for you

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Children-Wor...8440002&sr=1-1

This is the book I have been using and it is excellent