Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jan 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 'The Playful Childminder'

I've mentioned this on Facebook today and Miss Mopple asked me to do a write up for the forum so thought I'd oblige! Our county council laid on a course as part of Every Child a Talker which was three full-on workshops run by a company called Marvellous Productions. They are a group of dramatherapists/creative arts therapists/educational psychologists who work with children and adults using play and imagination. It was absolutely fantastic. I was very wary as we were told to wear comfy clothing and that it would be very hands-on. I don't mind admitting that I was getting scared as it sounded way out of my comfort zone - it's one thing acting the fool in front of the kids but with a group of my peers (most of whom I didn't know) it was terrifying.

The first workshop was called Once Upon a Time and was based around storytelling with children. We made up stories just using sounds - we created the sounds and atmosphere of a rainforest without using words which was brilliant. We had to select an object from a blanket laid out and we had to say where we thought the object was from and what it's 'story' was - amazing the things you can talk about just from a shell necklace! We also read 'old' stories but retold them using different expression - secretive, scary, serious - which gave the stories a new lease of life. The ladies running the session had an amazing imagination and it allowed me to discover imagination I never knew I had!!

We then did 'Twist and Shout' - which as you might imagine was about linking sounds and body language. We made up new actions to old nursery rhymes, guessing the nursery rhymes from our actions as we didn't use the words. We also made sound scapes again telling a story through sound.

The last one was called 'Make it Up, Shake it up' which was hilarious! We had to give characteristics and emotions to inanimate objects just like children do. We also took one object and convinced each other it was something else which was funny.

The whole day was a real revelation for me. I discovered I *could* be imaginative and spontaneous and act the fool without feeling intimidated and once I let go of my own embarrassment and joined in I could come up with all sorts of ways to make stories and old nursery rhymes enjoyable and give them a new lease of life. I can't wait to try some of the ideas I learned today with my children.

Sure it's teaching a lot of you to suck eggs but for me as I've only been minding for 3 years it was a real eye opener and if you see a course advertised run by Marvellous Productions I would say whole-heartedly GO FOR IT!!!

Nov 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 'The Playful Childminder'

sounds like you had a great day

Jan 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I did have a fab time. Sometimes sadly I feel dragged down by a select few people around me who have been in the job a while and feel jaded by it but events like these renew my motivation for my job and also make me realise that whilst I'm doing a good job, there's a whole host of other things I can do with my kids.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the write up hun, it sounds fab! Will definately keep an eye out for them

Nov 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reveiw - I'll keep an eye out for them
    Blaze x

Jan 84
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds very interesting, will keep looking out for more courses with them.
    Teacake2

Penny1959 Guest

Sounds great p hope it is put on in my area

Penny

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds a really good course.

Glad you enjoyed it!

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Aug 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It was an excellent day. I'm looking forward to the follow up in March when we do an interactive story based on Very hungry Caterpillar with the children.
    Good lunch too

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the feedback

It sounds like fun

More information here for anyone that is interested

http://www.marvellousproductions.com/index.php

Angel xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like