Thread: EYPS

Registered Childminder since
    January
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: EYPS

Quote Originally Posted by UoB_EYPS View Post
    The University of Brighton have just had some films produced about EYPS and are available at the following link - http://www.brighton.ac.uk/education/...php?PageId=704.

One of the films shows how Childminders can achieve EYPS and the benefits the course can bring.

Please let us your know your thoughts on these films and any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you, it's nice to see people who've been through the process. I hear on here of other Childminders who've been through the process but I still find it slightly isolating when I'm at the university, when everyone else works in Children's Centres or nurseries. I knew nothing about EYPS before I actually started it ( ) and something like that would have given me a bit more confidence from the beginning. It's only now that I've been through the Gateway and had positive feedback from my Mentor about one of my written tasks that I feel there's a glimmer of a chance I may achieve the status, so seeing a Childminder who has is very positive.
    Familiarity breeds contempt - and children Mark Twain

January
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow - I haven't written for ages! We had no tutorials in December, but had one a couple of weeks ago. It was a bit of a let down, to be honest. There was some staff shortage or other so we got bundled together with another group, meaning that the morning was their session (the principles of the EYFS) and the afternoon was quite interesting - we watched a film about child initiated play and then worked in groups to develop a setting mission statement.

Now I am days away from having to hand in the seven written tasks. Luckily I've nearly done them, I have the house to myself on Saturday to polish them off and ensure that I cover all the standards. There's a task grid which has to be handed in with the written tasks where you can tick off which standards you think are covered in which task (and in the margin of the written tasks we also write when we think we have covered a standard). As we have to prove that we meet the standards in both leadership and support and own practice we're allowed to write L and P in the task grid. I did this and it's made it much easier for me to see where I'm weak and need more. I'm trying to make sure that I claim each standard at least twice - and preferably more - in own practice and in leadership.

I also have to submit all the documents associated with my setting visit at the same time as the written tasks - this includes a document list for my folder of evidence (which I am nowhere near to completing ), details of my witnesses, of my setting. I'm torn between calm, as the written tasks are getting there, and mild hysteria if I let the thought of finding my evidence for my folder. I've ignored it too long! We have one more tutorial next week then it's hand on the 7th. Scary stuff

January
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Totally, totally stressed

Honestly, I've been saying all the way through that our tutors are a bit on the flappy side, haven't I? Well everything is due in on Monday - I personally spent 16 solid hours on the compute this weekend, and I'd already pretty much finished all but one written task.....) Nobody in my group knew about all the stuff that was due in with the written tasks on Monday - document list etc. So there's a lot of stress going on. Luckily I'd read up about the document list, though I didn't know we had to submit a resume and had no idea about the setting visit plan.

Well today my tutor drops the little bobshell that we're not to be looking after children whilst we have our personal interviews (35 minutes, two interviews) or whilst we do the setting tour (45 minutes) and that my setting tour will take place sometime in March (not at half term, like I wanted). So I'm in a bit of a stew about how my setting can be functioning normally, as they request, but I can be not looking after children. Cages, perhaps? A really good film and some popcorn? I just think it might have been helpful if she mentioned it before......

Anyway, setting visit is a chance for the assessor to see evidence - changes you've made to the setting, for instance, and your document folder. It's also when they interview the three witnesses, as well as yourself. And the interviews are designed to find evidence where she's not sure you've met the standard.

Back to the grind, had my moan.... I will be so glad when this is done!

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

you can do it hon. about the visit - that is terrible they did not tell you about that - we were told on the very first prep day.

do you have a childminder friend who has a day off she doesn't work each week. Perhaps she could come to your house (if she knows the children well enough and vice versa).

that was my plan until I dropped out to get my CM friend to come here. we see each other all the time with our respective mindees. She has a friday off so I was going to ask the visit to be on a fri.

You can usually negotiate the date on the grounds of getting this cover.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Pipsqueak Guest

Flappy tutors.... hmm I know where you are coming from and you have my utmost sympathy.

Thats really naughty that you are left in the lurch without information

You have got this far though hunny bun you can go that last little bit.

AGree with Jugs - see if a minder friend can do you a favour.

xxx

Aug 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Not been on here for ages but wanted to catch up & see how things are going. Have you had your setting visit yet Venus? How did it go? The thing about having children present is a real pain isn't it. I was lucky that i got in just before CWDC changed the ruling. Did you sort it? Do let us know

January
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh bless you, thank you - a bit of a disaster really! I had a moan about it here ....
    http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/...ad.php?t=78797

But hey ho, it's over and done with and now I have a lot more free time Regardless of the outcome, for me it was worthwhile doing, it's made me think more about what I do and why and made me a lot more conscientious about my work in both settings. And if I get it I will be really pleased, there's no denying it, but if I don't it's not the end of the world - I got into children's centres without it, and that was part of the reason I went for it.

Aug 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh my, what a nightmare for you. As the others said though, if you managed to hold it together & appear professional it will have played in your favour, not to mention all that lovely multi-agengy working lol. Also, the setting visit isn't everything. What you covered in your written tasks is a big chunk & you only have to cover the standards once each across your visit & evidence folder.
    I don't come on here very often - there are so many boards I find it a bit bewildering, not to mention a big black hole sucking up all my time - but I will keep a look out for your results (or you could pm me...)
    Rx

January
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Childrenatheart View Post
    Oh my, what a nightmare for you. As the others said though, if you managed to hold it together & appear professional it will have played in your favour, not to mention all that lovely multi-agengy working lol. Also, the setting visit isn't everything. What you covered in your written tasks is a big chunk & you only have to cover the standards once each across your visit & evidence folder.
    I don't come on here very often - there are so many boards I find it a bit bewildering, not to mention a big black hole sucking up all my time - but I will keep a look out for your results (or you could pm me...)
    Rx
    Oh bless you, yes I'll post an update even if it's bad news. In my heart I think it will possibly be a standards shortfall, I'm don't think it will be a complete fail. But it would be nice to get through

January
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default EYPS Update

So those of you one Facebook will know my news. I promised to write it here even if it was bad news. I've written an email this evening to my manager at the Children's Centre asking if I could have a new badge as the one I have now says 'early years practitioner' and I can now wear a badge which says 'Early Years Professional' |

And phew!

Pipsqueak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by venus89 View Post
    So those of you one Facebook will know my news. I promised to write it here even if it was bad news. I've written an email this evening to my manager at the Children's Centre asking if I could have a new badge as the one I have now says 'early years practitioner' and I can now wear a badge which says 'Early Years Professional' |

And phew!
    WELL DONE WELL DONE WELL DONE

I know the hard hard hard word you have put in... oh well done you clever thing.

January
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I am so happy for you honey. 3 girls I went to college with just got theirs, so narked now I had to drop out but I can't face going back to college now.

good for you. hope you are celebrating
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

January
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you

I did buy a bottle of fizz to celebrate but it's also tinged a little bit with a 'what now'. I mean, it won't get me a new job, a better paid job, though I guess it makes me more desirable (ooh er missus ). What can I do with it now? Event he training my county council were offering for EYPs has gone. So it's great to have and I'm pleased but also at a loose end with it as I think once you have it you're expected to use it for good.....

Nov2000
    Post Thanks / Like

I can now wear a badge which says 'Early Years Professional'
    Congratulations you

I have just spent 18 months wondering why I started this course No one seems to know anything about it, my parent's are not interested - all they want is safe and stimulating childcare and as childminder's we dont even get the financial benefit that nurseries/pre-schools get. The only other CM I know who has done this is no longer minding!!

I was told I had to be 'out of ratio' for the whole setting visit not just the tour and interviews. Luckily I had a friend who is an ex-CM and knows my mindees - I was told I had to get supply cover - what, let someone the children have never met into my home and look after my children - I don't think so!! Not very Professional and certainly not what I would call " establishing a safe environment and employ practices that promote children's health, safety and physical, mental and emotional well-being" or "being accountable for the delivery of high quality provision" !

Now today I have just heard I have not got it - What a complete waste of my time

I was the only CM in my group and even when I deferred ( 3 days in hospital and a change in child situation!!) the second group I attended I was the only one!!

My assessor asked for my setting name and hadn't even realised that I was a childminder and my mentor went AWOL and was completely useless.

I do not intend to recommend doing this to anyone

January
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh I'm sorry to hear that Karen Did you get a shortfall? It might be worth making it up so you get your status after all the hard work you put in? Having said that, the certificate is rubbish I was expecting shiny bits and something looking professional That's not what I got, the typing was even misaligned! Shows what the CWDC thinks of it, I was tempted to complain (may still do)

I still would recommend it as an excellent CPD tool

aug 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sarah - and congratulations. My mentor has still not contacted me, the uni is chasing her at the moment, and trying to email the course tutor is futile as she gets so many emails that she doesn't have the time to answer them all. So an offer of help is invaluable and you may live to regret it

Firstly, I do a 6 week review at the end of each term. It's a bog standard NCMA one - a section on the child's progress then a section for next steps and ideas for the parents and for myself to try to help the child move towards those next steps. I also try to get feedback from the parents on the review and, where applicable, build that into planning. Do you think I can use this as part of my evidence towards leadership and support, in that I am leading and supporting the parents?

Also (I warned you! ) I'd like to use setting up and running a Childminding Group as an activity for a written task - do you think this counts as an 'activity'?

And do you know if you can use the same subject for your presentation at the Gateway Review as you use in a written task?

Thankyou

Sorry havnt been on for a while - i set up a childminder drop in and used it for my work - and used it for my gateway review

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done you It is a great achievement and you should be so proud of yourself

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone got any advice for a relative newbie on whether this is worth pursuing?

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi guys. I've just been offered a place on the 6mth EYPS pathway starting in jan and this thread has been really helpful.

You've all put my mind at rest and the 'blog' is really useful...now I know just what to expect!!!

One question....when I had my interview there was no mention of a bursary to cover the costs of finding alternative care for my mindees or to compensate for loss of earnings if I have to take unpaid hols when I'm timetabled to be at uni...any suggestions where I can find out if I'm eligible?

thanks peeps x

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast