Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Norton someone Ltd

Has anybody heard of the above, had a phone call offering free childcare course from them, all I need to prove is my NI 2 for self employed. It was a little vague, asked how they had my number and they said from a list of childminders. They only had my first name and tel no but no other info which made we question them more as to where they got it from.

The lady I spoke sounded lovely and she probably wondered what was wrong with me asking so many questions for a freebie lol

Don't get me wrong I'm all for freebies but like to protect myself also. I'm a childminder so I need to protect the children in my care and anybody could say they are blah blah blah and this is free, we will visit you and go through it all but that doesn't mean they are legit.

Sorry if I sound negative to something offered for free but just need a little clarification on this and wondered if anybody has heard from them or signed up for it before I even think of letting them into my home.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Could it have been Morton Michel? CM insurance company, I think they have various training and support offerings too.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you got the phone number? You could do a Google search and see if it give you the company name.

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    Could it have been Morton Michel? CM insurance company, I think they have various training and support offerings too.
    No it is Norton **** Ltd I think the administrators put the word 'someone' in because of advertising or something, I had typed the name of them.

Thanks

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Have you got the phone number? You could do a Google search and see if it give you the company name.
    They have followed it up with an email, so I will google them from that Mouse, I'm just a bit wary of cold callers especially when they have little info on me and don't actually admit where they got the info from, I thought it was from my EY team at first but I spell my first name different to how she has and how she asked for me, if that makes sense. A bit like asking for Sheryl and not Cheryl if you see what I mean

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mum67 View Post
    No it is Norton **** Ltd I think the administrators put the word 'someone' in because of advertising or something, I had typed the name of them.

Thanks
    Ah, I see! I've not heard of them. Have you tried googling the name?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

They have followed it up with an email, so I will google them from that Mouse, I'm just a bit wary of cold callers especially when they have little info on me and don't actually admit where they got the info from, I thought it was from my EY team at first but I spell my first name different to how she has and how she asked for me, if that makes sense. A bit like asking for Sheryl and not Cheryl if you see what I mean
    I understand completely! I am known by 2 different names - my official one and my used name. Depending which name people use when they phone I know where they've got my details from!

I'm like you. Very wary of cold callers. I treat them all with suspicion

8. Likes mum67 liked this post
    Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Judging by the website it's a bit like a learn ****** course, so I don't know if it would mean anything to Ofsted or anybody else.
    It's for a level 3 childcare - online course.

Think I will look at the forum page for training and see what they suggest has reputable and acknowledged courses.

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

I emailed them back and asked which course it actually is and what I gain from it.

Here's the reply:
    you would be working towards a diploma for children and young peoples workforce to give it its posh title! Otherwise know as NVQ level 3 In childcare. The awarding body is the N.C.F.E, these are acredited qualifications and not certificates we print out ourselves.( As some training companies do!).

Does anyone recognise any of this as useful to me by way of recognised? I am England based by the way.

I am looking on the forum training/courses thread but can't see anything which resembles the awarding body.

Simona Guest

I emailed them back and asked which course it actually is and what I gain from it.

Here's the reply:
    you would be working towards a diploma for children and young peoples workforce to give it its posh title! Otherwise know as NVQ level 3 In childcare. The awarding body is the N.C.F.E, these are acredited qualifications and not certificates we print out ourselves.( As some training companies do!).

Does anyone recognise any of this as useful to me by way of recognised? I am England based by the way.

I am looking on the forum training/courses thread but can't see anything which resembles the awarding body.
    They are correct in saying it is a 'diploma' with the CYPW...that is far from being a posh title
    The Level 3 was known as NVQ 3 ...it is now called EYE although the NVQ 3 still stands as qualification for those who took it before Sept 2014
    EYE can be achieved with accredited trainers ...such as Pacey, PLA, Parenta and many more including local colleges and the awarding body is CACHE ...

sorry never heard of NCFE....CACHE is what will appear on the certificate and it is issued by CACHE and not printed by whoever this company is

That is my understanding of it unless it has changed recently but I would be very weary of this Norton something company

By the way did they tell you how much it would cost to achieve Level 3 with them?

keep us posted ..this is buffling to say the least!

12. Likes mum67 liked this post
    Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Simona the lady said it is free, the government fund it and all I have to show them is my NI 2 to prove I am self employed.

I was and still am very wary of somebody who rings me up offering this but only has my first name and my telephone number and nothing else and who diverts from a real answer when asked where she got it from.

I have been on courses in the past with Learn D***** and never had to just prove NI payments. My official name and the one I use on all documents etc is somewhat different to the name I am known and she used the unofficial one which is strange, she said she has a list of childminders but I would not be called the name she used on this list.

I think I will cancel them calling as I am too unsure and will go with my instincts. They do have a website and it looks a bit like the Learn D***** type but nobody else on here knows of it so that makes me even more wary.

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

I will email her again and voice my concerns of how she got my details and how vague everything is.

The number she rang from is the same as the website.

Does anyone know if the government have these pots of money to fund courses any more for free. Think my next call will be to my LA quality assurance team she what they know of it.

Simona Guest

I will email her again and voice my concerns of how she got my details and how vague everything is.

The number she rang from is the same as the website.

Does anyone know if the government have these pots of money to fund courses any more for free. Think my next call will be to my LA quality assurance team she what they know of it.
    No ...the level 3 is only free to those under 24 years as far as I am aware

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    No ...the level 3 is only free to those under 24 years as far as I am aware
    that's me definately out then, way past that age.

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

I've emailed my Ey team also and asked their advice.

Strange how only I have had this phone call considering it was a LIST of childminders she got my details from.

I'm usually quite on the ball with things like this so feel a bit silly not asking more questions before giving my address out for them to enrol me.

I can hear you Rickysmiths I'm not deaf, I know you will be shouting at me for this.

However, I was asleep when she rung and wasn't with it yet, hadn't had my two coffees yet.

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Rickysmiths is right, we really are vulnerable working alone. We have to advertise our name and number which opens us up to all sorts of situations. Can't believe how stupid I was giving more details about me when she was very vague.

My only consolation is I have the website tel number and email if needed.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My ears were burning!!!

Asleep on the job again Mum67 Tut! Tut!

It is horrible when these people call you out of the blue. I must say I always ask if there is a number I can call them back on when it is more convenient for me.
    That gives me time to think. If they are at all cagey about me ringing them back or give anything other than a land line, 0800/0300 number then I don't call back and forget about it because it they can't take a call on a normal number then I don't want anything to do with them.

There are a few Companies who call around offering 'Free' level 3 courses, they are always vague but very enthusiastic until there is some reason why you don't qualify for this 'Free' Training. It is often the LA you have, oh they don't do this scheme, or now your age etc etc.

The Level 3 Diploma Children and young People's Workforce to give it its full title I believe is being changed in September this year. It will still be a valid qualification if you, like me have it, phew! However you would be a bit pushed now to start it before 1st September.

Personally if it were me with a Level 3 now I would wait until we know more about the way things are going to be done after Sept.

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    My ears were burning!!!

Asleep on the job again Mum67 Tut! Tut!

It is horrible when these people call you out of the blue. I must say I always ask if there is a number I can call them back on when it is more convenient for me.
    That gives me time to think. If they are at all cagey about me ringing them back or give anything other than a land line, 0800/0300 number then I don't call back and forget about it because it they can't take a call on a normal number then I don't want anything to do with them.

There are a few Companies who call around offering 'Free' level 3 courses, they are always vague but very enthusiastic until there is some reason why you don't qualify for this 'Free' Training. It is often the LA you have, oh they don't do this scheme, or now your age etc etc.

The Level 3 Diploma Children and young People's Workforce to give it its full title I believe is being changed in September this year. It will still be a valid qualification if you, like me have it, phew! However you would be a bit pushed now to start it before 1st September.

Personally if it were me with a Level 3 now I would wait until we know more about the way things are going to be done after Sept.
    I knew you would have words of warning for me rickysmiths. Think I am the only name on their list

I have read of the change to level 3 on the forum EYE I think, I spotted it today when I was looking this award up.

Funny how it is all changing and in September because it is 4th September when they want to enrol me

We shall see what my emails say tomorrow from the LA

Thanks everyone for the replies

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had several phone calls over the last 12 months telling me about training courses available to childminders - not from our local authority - can't remember the company name, I just tell them that I already have a level 3 and please take my name and number off their calling list as my job is looking after children, not chatting to cold callers on the phone.

Simona Guest

Mum 67...
    if you are in any way concerned or bothered by the call you could ring CACHE and tell them you have been offered a free Level 3 in September by this company and ask them to verify if they are accredited trainers for the new Level 3 (EYE)

Unfortunately we cannot check because half their name is starred...I could only find Norton Care Ltd on google...therefore we cannot warn others of this company

This won't stop cold callers but... if that is what they are... you could take simple action to prevent them from calling other less experienced cms who may fall for the sale pitch
    What did your LA say?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast