Which Course?!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Which Course?!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 09
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Which Course?!

    I have for a while been looking at doing either level 2 or level 3. I really have no idea where to start.
    Ive been childminding for 5 years now and continuously take advantage of our local authority training, butI find its all just basic stuff.

    So now the new EYE is coming into effect from September 14 and I know you need GCSE in English and maths.....I haven't got my maths

    My LA Support worker suggests I sign up for a course straight away (before September), otherwise I shall have to do my maths GCSE alongside the Level 3, which will also cost more.

    I dont get any funding from our LA. Ive been looking at distance/online learning.
    I really don't know which is the reputable ones, that will give me the relevant qualification that I need at a reasonable cost?

    I understand that Pacey do a course but Ive recently 'left' Pacey and moved over to MM.
    Ive also looked at OU and Home Learning College (Which sounded more like salespeople and didnt grasp the fact I was already a fully established Childminder - they kept trying to tell me I would need a DBS check and I could have an amazing career working with children, also said they could find me a placement!)

    I could do with some advice please on which course I need to do!
    has anyone got any experience which are the best and for the best price?


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Registered Childminder since
    May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Post Thanks / Like


    Don't bother with L2, go straight for L3 as this is aimed for senior staff and sole charge and Childminders.

    We have no funding available so I've taken out the 24+ loan. I won't have to start paying it back until I start earning £21,000+, which I don't envisage happening unless I leave the childcare sector. Would that be an option for you?

    I'm doing it as distance learning at my local college. I've been told it will take me 13mths and the assessor will visit once a month.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Registered Childminder since
    May 14
    Post Thanks / Like


    I'm looking to go with MNT training. It's mainly done at home/online with an assessor who visits at the end of each of the 3 modules - but it depends where you're based. I'm thinking of starting the outgoing level 3 course now as the EYE course will be more expensive and take longer and I want to complete levrl 3 asap so I can progress to the Foundation degree while my LA still provides funding!



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Quick Links and Advertisements

Important Information Links
Some Useful Quick Links


You can also find us on:
Which Course?! Which Course?! Which Course?!

We use cookies to make this site as useful as possible. They are small text files placed in your browser to track usage of our site but they don’t tell us who you are.
By continuing to use this site you are consenting to cookies being placed on your computer. Find out more here: Cookies in Use

Childminding Help and the Childminding Forum are part of Childcare.co.uk