Early Years Top Up / EYITT
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    July 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Early Years Top Up / EYITT

I am really interested in topping up my early years foundation degree to a full level 6 and completing early years teacher status but I don't know where to do them. I did my Fdn degree with Edgehill but the top up is 2hour drive and mandatory to attend every week :-( orrrr I have been looking at OU but it states your fdn degree has to be sector endorsed, unsure what that means and can't see that on my certificate?? Anyone gone with Open uni? Or any universities in Shropshire that offer top up? I have been looking at doing EYITT with best practice network but need my level 6 sorted first

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been accepted to top up via distance learning through university of hull/ Doncaster university centre. I'm doing the BA (hons) early childhood studies. So excited and so nervous too! I start in sept. When I was searching for courses I found- one in a welsh university (I cant think of the name but I'm sure someone will be along to say soon as it was recommended from here), London metropolitan, university of east London, Doncaster and the OU. I couldn't find anywhere else. I enquired to all to see if it was worth me applying with what I had- really trying to sell myself by email. Wales said no. I applied to the rest. OU would only give me credit transfer to do the open degree not early years but that is because my course was completed more than 5 years ago (12 years in fact!) so yours may be ok? East London wouldn't give me any credit transfer so I would have had to start again. London met would give me some but not much. Doncaster were willing to give me full credit transfer so I can just do the top up not having to repeat any lower level modules first. I'm so pleased as it was the course that most appealed to me too.

To find out if your course is sector endorsed go to the department for education website and use the qualification finder. You choose your examining board/ university and level course and see if it comes up. If it does it will tell you what level yours is. If it doesn't don't give up- mine wasn't on there 5 years ago so I contacted them and asked them to "map" my course. You have to fill out forms and send in the breakdown of your modules and they work out if it matches their requirements. Took a few weeks but worth it for me. I did the HND care (early years).

Good luck! Maybe we will end up being on the same course?!

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh and once finished apparently it is better to do the eyts near to home as you need to be attend some bits and be visited.

July 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for all your help. I will have a look when on my laptop tomorrow as out at mo. I finished my FD a year ago. :-) was the Welsh uni Aber?

July 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Doncaster distance learning states 'Previous work experience in the Early Years sector, preferably in a senior role (such as room supervisor, lead practitioner, or manager) with a minimum of 5 years experience' .... Is that 5 years in a senior role or 5 years in Early Years. My experience started 2008 but didnt become room leader until 2013 and assistant deputy oct 2013...

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I gave a major breakdown of everything but I worked in a day nursery for 18 months then as a nanny for 6 years and now childminding for 4 years so not exactly senior roles... They liked lots of CPD- I sent every certificate for every workshop etc! And got my early years advisor to write me a reference. It only says preferably so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it was glyndwr... Excuse the spelling if it's wrong!

July 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah thats okay then. When you applied to Doncaster distance learning, it gives option of full or part time? If I chose full time, is that still distance?

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If you only finished it a year ago you should be fine- my issues were because mine was old. Good luck :-)

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes both are distance- I haven't had any further info yet they said they wait til the course is more full to send more info out. I work 4 fill days- 44 hours so have chosen part time.

July 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Lol maybe I should choose part time, i work mon-fri 8-6 lol. Im going to apply!! :-)

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Good luck little rabbits :-)

July 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you :-)