Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default level 3 diploma or foundation degree?

Hi there

I've been childminding for almost a year now and am loving it.
    I was a secondary school teacher for 4 years before this.
    I am looking into training I can do to further my knowledge and for my CPD but am unsure which path to take. I've looked at the Level 3 diploma for children and young people workforce and the Foundation degree in early years - which one is best for me to do? I have all my GCSE's and A levels as well as a BA degree with QTS. However at the moment I only have mindees aged 5+, will this be a problem in terms of course requirements for working with early years? I have a 2 year old son and am pregnant with my 2nd (due in 3 weeks!) but I didn't think your own children would count.
    Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks!!

Laura

Mar 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion, With your background I think it may be better for you to consider a foundation degree in early years. The age range it covers is usually 0-8. I started with OU and did a level 4 and eventually achieved BA (Hons) in early years.

3. Likes hectors house liked this post
    Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you.
    I looked at the OU, how did you find it? I would prefer to do most of it from home which is what OU sounds like.
    Did you get plenty of support from them?

Laura

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i'd go for the FD however, the only thing I'd say is that you might not get on the FD for early years without the level 3 in early years (even with your QTS - as I presume yours is for children 11+). I think it will depend on what college you apply to.

Good luck!
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Mar 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

With the OU, as far as I know, unless the rules have changed it's not necessary to have a level 3 prior to embarking on their foundation degree.

I am a huge fan of distance learning, it worked for me as I needed to keep earning and childminding also met the requirements of needing to work with children whilst studying. There's lots of support, tutor group forums, course forums and some Saturday sessions ( not many) which aren't compulsory but some students like a bit of classroom based learning or at least e chance to meet the tutor and other students in the group. The course materials are very good, a mix of course books, study guides, audio and videos etc
    Their website should give you all the information you need

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am looking at the FD at Glyndwr Uni by distance Glynd?r University - The Learning and Development of Babies and Young Children But probably not this year

A couple of other childminders on here have done theirs through Glyndwr and recommended (are now topping up)

They ask for a minimum level 3 qualification (does not have to be early years related just studied to that level) which you have surpassed, 2 years working with children and 10 hours employment/self employment

OU ask for a minimum of 6 months full-time working with young children or 1 year part-time
    Last edited by tulip0803; 16-02-2014 at 06:30 PM.

8. Likes manjay liked this post
    Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone, think I'll look into the OU foundation degree and see if I can go straight onto that.

Jun 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tulip0803 View Post
    I am looking at the FD at Glyndwr Uni by distance Glynd?r University - The Learning and Development of Babies and Young Children But probably not this year A couple of other childminders on here have done theirs through Glyndwr and recommended (are now topping up) They ask for a minimum level 3 qualification (does not have to be early years related just studied to that level) which you have surpassed, 2 years working with children and 10 hours employment/self employment OU ask for a minimum of 6 months full-time working with young children or 1 year part-time
    Just wanted to say thank you for this post. I have struggled to find a route into the foundation degree which suits my needs and having looked at Glyndwr's, I think I'm sorted. Have just finished my application. Thank you!!!
    Apologies for the random full stops. Phone buttons too small, thumbs too big.

11. Likes manjay, tulip0803 liked this post
    Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LauraS View Post
    Just wanted to say thank you for this post. I have struggled to find a route into the foundation degree which suits my needs and having looked at Glyndwr's, I think I'm sorted. Have just finished my application. Thank you!!!
    Great to see you are thinking about this too Tulip

I wholeheartedly recommend this course. I am just finishing my final dissertation to give me a BA Hons in Childhood Studies at Glyndwr and it was the perfect route for me whilst working full time.

Good luck Laura! Always here to help if anyone wants any support

13. Likes tulip0803 liked this post
    Jun 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by manjay View Post
    Great to see you are thinking about this too Tulip I wholeheartedly recommend this course. I am just finishing my final dissertation to give me a BA Hons in Childhood Studies at Glyndwr and it was the perfect route for me whilst working full time. Good luck Laura! Always here to help if anyone wants any support
    The application is in, so fingers crossed

15. Likes manjay liked this post
    Jun 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Guess what??? I have a place starting in September! Yay!

Thanks Tulip and Manjay, soooooo excited now xxx