Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default On line first aid training

My husband needs to update his first aid training as he is my pt assistant. He did his first course with his work but it is due to run out and ofsted state it needs to be a paediatric first aid course. Can anyone please recommend a suitable on line paediatric first aid course that is recognised and accepted by ofsted?. He is quite shy and really hates the thought of doing our childminders course. Sitting in a room full of us frightens the life out of the poor fella. Ive seen the one on childcare.co.uk but neither my husband or I are gold members so cant access it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    Julie X X

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by julie w View Post
    My husband needs to update his first aid training as he is my pt assistant. He did his first course with his work but it is due to run out and ofsted state it needs to be a paediatric first aid course. Can anyone please recommend a suitable on line paediatric first aid course that is recognised and accepted by ofsted?. He is quite shy and really hates the thought of doing our childminders course. Sitting in a room full of us frightens the life out of the poor fella. Ive seen the one on childcare.co.uk but neither my husband or I are gold members so cant access it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    There isnt an online course that is acceptable. It must be the 12 hour one. You need to book on the la one
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

3. Likes julie w, rickysmiths liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

He needs a course which is approved by your LA.

I don't know about yours, but mine will not accept an online course, as it must be 'hands on'. The Vinnie app not withstanding, it is exceptionally difficult to demonstrate you can do CPR on a computer. My LA also insists it is a minimum 12 hour course (despite the fact that most trainers freely state they can deliver the course content in 6 hours if they cut all the waffle and have a class of people with brains.) Hey ho.

I can sympathise with your fella. When I first did the paediatric FA course, I found myself in a room full of women all desperate to pair up together and avoid doing any practical work with me. Of course, everybody knows we blokes are all filthy, unwashed, rampant sex maniacs who only book onto PFA courses so we can grope rather unattractive females in public. NOT. By day two, they all wanted to pair with me, cos I was the only one there with any experience (12 years of scraping people off railway tracks, escalators, etc.) I didn't have the heart to tell them they were quite safe, on account of all being so ugly that I wouldn't dream of touching them with somebody's else's hand, let alone mine.

Best thing he could do is get the list of approved courses from your LA, then ring the providers to ask if there are any courses with other blokies booked on. It does happen.

5. Likes julie w, Koala, Ripeberry liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post

I don't know about yours, but mine will not accept an online course, as it must be 'hands on'. The Vinnie app not withstanding, it is exceptionally difficult to demonstrate you can do CPR on a computer. My LA also insists it is a minimum 12 hour course (despite the fact that most trainers freely state they can deliver the course content in 6 hours if they cut all the waffle and have a class of people with brains.) Hey ho.

I can sympathise with your fella. When I first did the paediatric FA course, I found myself in a room full of women all desperate to pair up together and avoid doing any practical work with me. Of course, everybody knows we blokes are all filthy, unwashed, rampant sex maniacs who only book onto PFA courses so we can grope rather unattractive females in public. NOT. By day two, they all wanted to pair with me, cos I was the only one there with any experience (12 years of scraping people off railway tracks, escalators, etc.) I didn't have the heart to tell them they were quite safe, on account of all being so ugly that I wouldn't dream of touching them with somebody's else's hand, let alone mine.

Best thing he could do is get the list of approved courses from your LA, then ring the providers to ask if there are any courses with other blokies booked on. It does happen.
    Actually that is not strictly true. It just needs to be a course approved by any LA it doesn't specifically have to be your own LA.

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

I've just been on a 12 hr course and it has changed a lot in the last 3 years! They want to see lots of 'hands on' work. They will watch you doing CPR and check for your bandaging skills. There are now two multi-choice question papers, but in all honesty they are quite easy. Did mine in less than 10 minutes. Yes, it can be scary being in a room of people you mostly don't know, but within a couple of hours of being on the floor with strangers it's all a good laugh.
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post

Bunyip, you make me laugh so much! We had one bloke on our course (I know him) and he was a great sport. Played the 'body' several times
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com