help for outdoor learning in other countries please?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default help for outdoor learning in other countries please?

Hi for those studying at BA or MA level.

I am studying outdoor learning

What I would really like to focus on the moment is other countries where outdoor play is such an important part of the early years.
    I will probably narrow down it to 2or 3 countries so am thinking a Nordic country where it is really cold and they play outside and sleep outside for naps at nursery such as Sweden and maybe also Australia or New Zealand.
    I am also thinking somewhere where it is so hot they are not allowed to play outside at all like Dubai.

Has anyone studied early year curriculum's of other countries or their policies on outside play, that could give me a starting point for a reading list? I am really struggling to know where to start! Normally once I start reading it helps me know where I want to go with it but I have been procrastinating for weeks now and not done anything!!

Any help appreciated thank you!!

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would have focused on Scandinavia, Te Whariki (NZ)and Reggio Emilia (Italy) they are very focused on outdoor learning

for not being allowed outdoors - I don't know. Certainly some of the arabic countries where maybe girls are restricted to being indoors (if that is true) also don't know much about China or Japan but am guessing the focus is less on outdoor learning there as they are very academic - but I may be wrong!
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebell View Post
    Hi for those studying at BA or MA level.

I am studying outdoor learning

What I would really like to focus on the moment is other countries where outdoor play is such an important part of the early years.
    I will probably narrow down it to 2or 3 countries so am thinking a Nordic country where it is really cold and they play outside and sleep outside for naps at nursery such as Sweden and maybe also Australia or New Zealand.
    I am also thinking somewhere where it is so hot they are not allowed to play outside at all like Dubai.

Has anyone studied early year curriculum's of other countries or their policies on outside play, that could give me a starting point for a reading list? I am really struggling to know where to start! Normally once I start reading it helps me know where I want to go with it but I have been procrastinating for weeks now and not done anything!!

Any help appreciated thank you!!
    Have you looked at Reggio Emilia? In their schools they have 'special rooms': courtyards and piazzas (squares) are part of their learning environment.
    Piazzas are used by all children of all ages to meet and play
    Courtyards are open spaces accessible at all times connected to piazzas and create an indoor/outdoor space...they are also called the 'classroom without a roof'.

Experiencing Reggio Emilia by Abbott and Nutbrown is a wonderful book you can research
    Bringing the Reggio Approach to EY practice by Thornton and Brunton is another good source of information

Hope this helps

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

ooh thanks - I really like Te Whariki as it seems to very much reflect the culture and because it's the curriculum covers the national approach.

Reggio Emilio - is that a certain school of thought or is that nationwide? I'm thinking of keeping to the national curriculum and any research that has been done that supports (or not as the case may be) the outdoor learning attitudes.

I will look into Scandanavia - I only really have read about limited other countries and their curriculum. I may give a broad overview of different countries and their attitudes but only go in-depth with 2 or 3. If you've got any particular books you could recomend that would be great.

Simona - thanks for those books - I will look into them!

It's much appreciated!

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebell View Post
    ooh thanks - I really like Te Whariki as it seems to very much reflect the culture and because it's the curriculum covers the national approach.

Reggio Emilio - is that a certain school of thought or is that nationwide? I'm thinking of keeping to the national curriculum and any research that has been done that supports (or not as the case may be) the outdoor learning attitudes.

I will look into Scandanavia - I only really have read about limited other countries and their curriculum. I may give a broad overview of different countries and their attitudes but only go in-depth with 2 or 3. If you've got any particular books you could recomend that would be great.

Simona - thanks for those books - I will look into them!

It's much appreciated!

No, reggio is only certain schools honey, not all italy. Not got any particular books on Scandinavia but you should be able to google the curriculum info? Fishing Naked is a really good article about someone visiting Sweden and also links really nicely into the research/push here for more risk taking in play. That's why reggio is a nice fit too. They use real cutlery and crockery at mealtimes etc and real tools for making.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

6. Likes Bluebell liked this post
    Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

aww thanks I thought that was the case - we touched on Reggio on the course but I didn't really look into it as I was focusing on other things!

I will be trying to get into it in the new year - will be having Thursdays off so can crack on with some study - at the moment it all seems a bit overwhelming. I've done 2500 words on pioneers in this country for outdoor play and will now compare EYFS to thinking abroad and then eventually link in with the emergence and popularity of outdoor nurseries and forrest schools. So 3 sections in all. Only 7500 more words to do before June (and a major re-write of the first section) eek.....!!!

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The Best Playground in Perth – the Naturescape | Child's Play Music

I came across this article a few weeks back as I was very interested in the outdoor play situation for children in Perth, Australia.
    A few years ago I took part in a Government funded Research on Creative Learning in Perth. I spent a month visiting schools and meeting with the Education authority - but I was very surprised at how little outdoor play took place and when it did, how wrapped up they were....against the sun! ' in all schools the slogan was 'no hat no play' - teachers included!

Big cancer issues in Australia mean they are restricting the outdoor play for young children...I think this would be a good focus for further research.

9. Likes Maza, Bluebell liked this post
    Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

That's really great thank you - I hadn't even realised it was such an issue in Australia I assumed they'd be well up on providing shady areas and water fountains!

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I nannied in Sydney for a couple of years.(16 yrs ago)
    Children at the schools I was in contact with had to have long sleeved tops (pref uva or close woven 100% cotton) & hats with neck flaps ( part of uniform ) but boys wore shorts and girls skirts.
    The schools had big canopies under which the children played at break time and for some lessons. Nursery had canopies covering most of the outside space. Children took sun block sticks or roll on sun cream in their bags. Self applied or assisted by staff.

On the beach the children had 'long john' style uva suits with long sleeves. Plus hats with big brims and or neck flaps.
    Lots of information about suncreams/sun blocks etc.

12. Likes Bluebell liked this post