Become a Childminder?????
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Become a Childminder?????

Hi, I'm a newbie on here so please be gentle! I have a nearly 4 year old and an 8 week old and have worked out that it's not worth me going back to work as 2 lots of nursery fees would cripple me. Ever since I had my 1st little boy I have thought about becoming a child minder quite a bit, plus it would mean I get to be my own boss which is something else I have always wanted to do.

I have looked online to see what it entails to become a reg childminder but I'm a bit confused.....can someone on here advise me what I need to do and how much it would all cost me?

Thanks
    Claire
    x

Registered Childminder since
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hello and welcome

This thread should help you get going!

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/fo...ildminder.html

3. Likes Bluebell, Claireybella liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi hun I am also new to this I have managed to print off the ofsted pre registration booklet to look through. I am hoping to get in touch with my local council tomorrow to see where I go from now. Hope you find out what your next steps are x

Post Thanks / Like

Hi I am new and I have just enrolled on PACEY.
    I am a mother of two young children and feel doing course online is best for me.

How you finding the course? Also with the first task I know it to do information sheet but how you presenting it etc?

Good Luck! x

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going through the process now, completed my course CYPOP 5 and completed ofsted registration, I'm now waiting for my registration visit and very excited to start a new venture in my life You may find it tough going with such a small baby so just give yourself plenty of time to go through the process. Good Luck xx

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi I am just starting too! I have just signed up to CYPOP5 through my local authority and I am now looking at what I am going to have to do to my home to get the environment ready. It is very exciting

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

We will be gentle!

Also I would also say, don't be put off by the posts on here about all our woes and worries. It's not an easy job and I was quite surprised by all it entails, however it is very rewarding. Whilst I wouldn't class myself as a 'natural' I wouldn't consider doing anything else for the forseeable future.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

With the task one on regulatory body and legislation I aim to write about. ..

*Children's Act
    *Equality Act
    *Sex Discrimination Act
    *Data Protection Act
    * SENs and Disability Act
    * COSHH Regulations
    * RIDDOR
    *Public Health Act
    *Education Act

And write about Ofsted being regulatory body and how their role and training you need to become a Childminder. Am I doing this write way and do I just do a paragraph on each one and how I would meet regulations?

Bit confused! X

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds good to me xx

Post Thanks / Like

So just write each Act and give brief description what it about and then more about Every Child Matters. Ofsted and their role and how they deal with complaints etc? X

Post Thanks / Like

Have completed tasks 1.1 and 1.2 just need to submit them now.
    Hope you all doing ok x

Post Thanks / Like

I remember worrying about this one as it was also the first I submitted, but I didn't go overboard and it was fine xx I wasn't sure though if you have to do anything extra as I did half the course face to face and then tasks only online xx

Post Thanks / Like

I just going through them bullet proofing and I now on the business plan and getting bit daunting lol x

Post Thanks / Like

I did loads of bullet points on mine x good luck it feels good when you finish it xx

Non childminder member
    Parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Claireybella View Post
    Hi, I'm a newbie on here so please be gentle! I have a nearly 4 year old and an 8 week old and have worked out that it's not worth me going back to work as 2 lots of nursery fees would cripple me. Ever since I had my 1st little boy I have thought about becoming a child minder quite a bit, plus it would mean I get to be my own boss which is something else I have always wanted to do.

I have looked online to see what it entails to become a reg childminder but I'm a bit confused.....can someone on here advise me what I need to do and how much it would all cost me?

Thanks
    Claire
    x
    Hi, I'm a newbie on here. I just read your message and I'm going through the same thing at the moment.
    I noticed no one replied to your message, I just wanted to ask did you get any information?

Thanks
    Fatmire

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

MTK gave this info to OP - it is a good place to start.

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/fo...ildminder.html

Costs vary depending on where you are. There will probably be course fees for pre-reg course, paediatric first aid, food hygiene, child protection. These vary depending on what your LA does.

You will need to get your doctor to fill in a medical form - costs vary depending on doctors own charges.

You will need DBS checks for everyone over 16 years in your house - £52 each I think

If you are in England OFSTED registration fees

Cost of any equipment you need - can be bought when required, second hand if in good condition (not car seats though)

Cost of Public Liability Insurance

Cost of professional body membership

Cost of paperwork, contracts, accident book, medication record, register (you can do your own though)