Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Oct 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Stuck need advice

Hi guys!

It's been a long time since I posted on here but I was looking for some new point of views. Basically I was hoping to start an open uni course again in Early Years: developing practice, this course obviously requires a placement. Now my problem is I have rang around schools in my area and they are ignoring my emails and not calling back when they said they'd have the head ring to discuss placement opportunities. I am finding it very demoralising and frustrating as well as rude! I wanted to be in reception class not nursery as my interests lie more towards EYTS in a primary setting. I'm thinking about chucking it in. Anyone know any other good courses to do? anything related to babies and young children. I even contemplated something midwifery related but i'm not sure im fully up to being a midwife.
    Currently not minding

Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you thought about social work?
    I have no experience in it personally but my friend is a social worker working primarily with babies and young children and LOVES it. Can't speak highly enough of how rewarding and fulfilling her job is and it took her just over a year to qualify. Just a suggestion if you're looking to broaden your horizons xx

Oct 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kellyskidz! View Post
    Have you thought about social work?
    I have no experience in it personally but my friend is a social worker working primarily with babies and young children and LOVES it. Can't speak highly enough of how rewarding and fulfilling her job is and it took her just over a year to qualify. Just a suggestion if you're looking to broaden your horizons xx
    I have actually considered this in the past. I wasn't sure though if you could pick an age range to work with? I was also considering being a foster carer. People tried to dissuade me from social work saying its all violent and bad with many messed up kids and I wouldn't be strong enough to deal with it :/ But I never have wanted to work with teenagers I don't think I personally have enough life experience myself to be of any help to them. but if there is an area that works with Early Years then its something I will look into again. Thanks for the suggestion!
    Currently not minding

Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kezzle View Post
    I have actually considered this in the past. I wasn't sure though if you could pick an age range to work with? I was also considering being a foster carer. People tried to dissuade me from social work saying its all violent and bad with many messed up kids and I wouldn't be strong enough to deal with it :/ But I never have wanted to work with teenagers I don't think I personally have enough life experience myself to be of any help to them. but if there is an area that works with Early Years then its something I will look into again. Thanks for the suggestion!
    I think you can put in an age preference, but don't quote me! My friend does only work with mainly under 5s though. I don't think I'd feel confident working with teens either to be honest. I'd be very much out of my depth
    Worth looking into though maybe. And I think fostering is too, a lot of minders round here foster as well as childmind, so it's obviously working for them