Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  12
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Foundation degree

Just heard I've got an interview for the Early Childhood Foundation Degree with my local university on Friday. They're doing it by telephone in the evening - how accommodating!

Wish me luck!!

2. Likes The Juggler liked this post
    Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Good luck Ruth

Is it Glyndwr?

4. Likes RuthJ liked this post
    Jan12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Ooh good luck. I'm hopefully starting the foundation degree via the open university

6. Likes RuthJ liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

8. Likes RuthJ liked this post
    Apr 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by manjay View Post
    Good luck Ruth

Is it Glyndwr?
    Yes it is manjay - you inspired me!

Thanks all, will let you know how I get on. xx

Oct 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 8 more weeks before I finish my foundation degree and i have to say i think it was one of the best decisions i ever made. I will most definately be topping up to my BA (HONS) and then after that I will have to find something else to study as I can safely say I now have the studying bug!

Good luck with your interview on Friday.

11. Likes RuthJ, emma04 liked this post
    Feb 200
    Post Thanks / Like

Littlevoice can I ask how much time you have spent on your degree on a weekly/monthly basis?

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

good luck. you will love the course
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

14. Likes RuthJ liked this post
    Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RuthJ View Post
    Yes it is manjay - you inspired me!

Thanks all, will let you know how I get on. xx
    Fantastic

The tutors are lovely so your interview will be a piece of cake and the course has evolved fantastically since we started as the guinea pigs. All level 4. 5 and 6 students attend the same study day so we should be able to meet up as I will still be attending the first two next year. Oh and always happy to proof read if needed

16. Likes RuthJ liked this post
    Apr 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by manjay View Post
    Fantastic

The tutors are lovely so your interview will be a piece of cake and the course has evolved fantastically since we started as the guinea pigs. All level 4. 5 and 6 students attend the same study day so we should be able to meet up as I will still be attending the first two next year. Oh and always happy to proof read if needed
    I spoke to one of the tutors on the phone a few weeks ago and she sounded lovely. Would be great to meet you there! And thanks for your proof reading offer too, I'm sure i'll be taking you up on it I'm a bit scared!!!! X

Dec07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LittleVoice View Post
    I have 8 more weeks before I finish my foundation degree and i have to say i think it was one of the best decisions i ever made. I will most definately be topping up to my BA (HONS) and then after that I will have to find something else to study as I can safely say I now have the studying bug!

Good luck with your interview on Friday.
    I finish in June too and begin my top-up in September. I have also studied for 5 GCSE's this academic year too and my exams are next month. Total drain on my life since last September, but will be worth it. I'm going on to do a PGCE eventually so that I can become a primary school teacher. It was my dream when I was 5 years old, but was pants at school (too easily distracted.....ie. naughty!) hence the jam packed study at the age of 35!

GOOD luck to OP on interview, Its a fab course!

19. Likes RuthJ liked this post
    Apr 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Well the interview turned out to be more of a chat, which went really well and i've got on the course!
    The tutor sounds lovely and the course sounds great Thanks for all your good luck vibes xx

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you got on the course you wanted!! Well done you!!

Kx

22. Likes RuthJ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I did the foundation degree at Hackney college for 2 yrs then went to London met and did the BA It was really full on and I had times where I wanted to give up (working full time and a part time job traveling from Essex to London everyday) but I did it and would never look back!!! One of the hardest yet best things I ever did!! good luck and if I can be if any help give me a shout! X

24. Likes RuthJ liked this post
    Jan 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I am 3 weeks away from finishing my first year...definitely the hardest but best thing I have started. Good luck

26. Likes RuthJ liked this post
    Jan12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Can I ask how much time each week everyone dedicated to doing the degree? I'm going to be it through OU so want to set my self realistic goals it

Jan 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Due to me attending uni the deadlines are different. But on the whole I attend every mon 7-9pm and some thursdays 7-9pm. Study during the week ranges from 2 hours a night, but leading up deadlines the hours can increase to 6 per day. Weekends are gone a few weeks before deadline. sounds alot but the end of my semester is in May and do not start again to Sept for year two...so I get alot of time off! Well lots of reading time it is worth it and the amount of knowledge you learn is amazing. Good luck

Jan12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you partyrings - as I won't have the pressure of deadlines I want to make sure I still complete it as if I do. So this has given me some idea

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oxfordshirecm View Post
    Thank you partyrings - as I won't have the pressure of deadlines I want to make sure I still complete it as if I do. So this has given me some idea
    Studying with the OU is still full of deadlines- pretty much all of the courses have Tutor Marked Assignments scattered throughout which count towards the final assessment marks. The only difference between the OU and a normal uni is that you don't have to travel anywhere for the majority of the time and so can study when you can. There is still a study planner which tells you week by week what you should be doing.

I think if anything OU study is more demanding than other units because you need to be motivated in order to succeed- you need to stay focused and do the work, even if other things at home are more appealing/need doing.

Jul 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I studied with the OU for my degree and I'd recommend getting ahead by about a month so you've breathing space if you've an emergency. I used to start the minute I received the materials. I'd follow the planner but adjust he dates to reflect when I started, if that makes sense. It allowed for a little more breathing space ahead of deadlines too.

I studied for my PGCE in a brick university and missed having everything I needed at the start like with the OU. We got some things ahead of time but on a termly/phase basis not course/year basis.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast