Foundation degree
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  12
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Childminder since
    apr 06
    Post Thanks / Like

I did my ba hons through the ou, and even though it was the best thing I've done it was really hard to juggle, family, work, home and life!

The ou is based on deadlines and they give you a timetable to follow, like already suggested get ahead, I always read my books etc before units started. That is were its more flexible than a brick uni as you have everything at the beginning!

I used to set aside 9am-3 pm monday, 7:30pm-9:30pm Wednesday and Thurs and weekends off unless close to deadline and it was every evening. My tutorials were saturdays or Tuesday evening (once a month).

Good luck x

Jan12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the comments (and sorry for hijacking op) I was nervous about doing it through the ou and the nvq I did in a similar way and was worried I wouldn't have deadlines etc to keep me focused. Did those who did it through the ou have a long summer off too? I know it's going to be hard but if I don droit through ou then I wouldn't be able to do it as have to work 10 hours a day Monday to Friday x

Mar 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I did all mine up to BA (Hons) Early Years with the OU and recommended to other childminders who have also completed or are currently still studying with the OU. As others have said there are deadlines as assignments have to be submitted by specific dates. I didn't have a definite number of hours study per week,it really depends how you learn and certainly around assignments due dates the hours can be substantial but burning the midnight oil becomes second nature

It certainly takes dedication due to juggling work, family etc
    Good luck

Oct 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sarsar3NCH View Post
    Littlevoice can I ask how much time you have spent on your degree on a weekly/monthly basis?
    Sorry for the delay, its been a hectic week.

I attend my local uni 1 evening a week Wed 5-8pm and we also have to attend 6 days a year (1 day 9.30-3.30) per module.
    As for individual study I aim for around 10-15 hours a week. Some weeks it is dramatically less due to one thing or another but it evens itself ou a little. I have been diagnosed as being dyspraxic and with that it takes me a lottle longer to understand what I am reading (especially in the 2nd yr) however with planning what im going to do and when I got there. My lowest mark has been 69 so if you're prepared to put the hours in it is worth it.
    I have worked full time and I hvae 2 young children too who were only 27mths and 3 months old when I started.

I have also studied with the Open Uni and am currently doing DB123 alongside my current course. I love the flexiability of the OU in that you get all your course materials at the start. This way you can do more study when you need to and less when your busy. I get fantastic support from the brick uni I attend but I have had to fight for it whereas the support from the OU was tremendous from the start. As previously mentioned you get a calendar form the OU which details what need to be done and by when which is fantasic.

As for which i'd recommend, if you have the motivation to be able to study of fyour own back go for the OU module. x

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I get no summer off at all- I started last June and haven't had a break since, andwon't until autumn 2015 when I finish just how my modules work out. Closest thing I have for a break is 30 credits between November and Feb this year- then it is a minimum of 90 credits at a time.

Jan12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

This thread has been so useful thank you all- I'm so excited to start now. Want to start it now but the OU course doesn't start till October- so going to enjoy the last Summer off for a while x

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12