Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: What cat breed?

Registered Childminder since
    jun 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What cat breed?

Our poor moggy has recently passed away and the children are begging for a new cat. She was very patient with the children and I am thinking about a pedigree instead of a moggy and wondered if any of you have any reccommendation of breeds that are likely to be docile enough around children?

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

If you need 'quiet' then avoid Siamese. I used to have a Bengal cat, although he
    looked scary he was very docile around children and a very gentle cat. But no-one can really recommend a breed as all cats are individuals.
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had 3 Birmans they are really pretty cats and very laid back and child friendly
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

Latest Inspection Grade
    *OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got 7 Maine Coons who are wonderful around children and 2 Ragdolls who are sooooo docile. You can't go wrong with either of these breeds. The Birman is very similar to the Ragdoll too. Be prepared for lots of grooming with them though!
    ƸӜƷ* Hello Kitty *ƸӜƷ

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

both mine are hinez 57 which we adopted and both are lovley around the children, one is a conatagerous ol mare and dosent like adults but she will let the kids stroke her and both of them just run away when they 've had enough

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a manx from the Isle of Man who is always in the room when I am working never had an issues he is so friendly

But equally our moggy cat (who passed away in Jan12) was equally as friendly

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If mine is anything to go by I would recommend avoiding norwegian forest cats - a grumpy more aggro cat I have yet to meet.
    Whereas my adorable ginger tabby cat is the most cutest, softest, kiddy loving cat I have ever met. He joins us on the school run so he can play in the playground with the kids till the bell goes, then he joins us at the end of the school day to pick the kids up! He is nuts.

jun 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

oooh lots of ideas, thank you. I am so sad that our little one died, she was hit by a car on Friday and the house is empty without her. She too used to follow us to school, go in everyone elses house, have morning coffee with the elderly lady nextdoor but three every morning, sleep in next doors dog basket (much to the dogs disgust!! & was well known by all the children who go by. I am looking forward to a new addition though, although it won't be for some time yet. I was thinking along the lines of Ragdolls, Birmans and Maine Coons and it's good to know what they are like from real owners.

Jan 84
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 3 persians, 1 moggy, 1exotic, and 1 bengal, the bengal is the daftest with the children and he waits for them at the front door and welcomes them in, goes and sits with them for a bit and the children all tell him what they have been doing at home etc. The persians all love them as well but the exotic is too snooty to be seen with anyone, the moggy just likes a quiet life so usually goes out of the way. Whatever you choose to do enjoy your new one, and if you can try and have 2 they are so funny to watch playing together.
    Teacake2

Jan 84
    Post Thanks / Like

My bengal is my picture and he is playing with some pasta after the children had finished playing with it in the sand/water table.
    Teacake2

Oct 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a bengal, she is far from docile at the age of 7 but and big but she is the best with the children! She loves to play ball with them, sit in the pushchair and be pushed around, and get in the back of trikes and have a ride around! She puts up with alot from the children and goes of upstairs when shes had enough!

Heres my bengal (Anja) with my DD, excuse the finger up the nose

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cjzqn_KIhzA

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

we have a moggy, we first met him as a week old kitten and finally took him home when he was about 10 weeks ( as we were just moving house, so my friend who owned his mother kept him a few weeks extra for me! )

he is soooo laid back! he lets the children hug him to pieces and will often lie in the middle of them all playing, preferably on top of what they are playing with or, asleep with all the cuddlies on the playroom sofa! all the mindees love him and do him drawings and tell him all about their days!

my friend has 7 children, and all the kittens were VERY well handled from the word go , which is what decided me to have a new cat! ( our old lday cat didn't 'do' people and just slept on the bed all day! ) as i wanted a child friendly cat.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Aww Loocy yours looks just like ours lol. His a fab too.