Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    oct 96
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dyslexia - where do you start?

A mum I know's son may have dyslexia, he is 9. The school thinks he has - but the school can't offer him the help as he has to be to be assessed independently I believe, costing about £800. Is there any other way she can move forward or what help is there out there. Just drawing on your experiences - thanks!
    Clorogue

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

thats rubbish the school is just trying to save money - infact our school wont accept independent assessments.

Tell her to contact the dyslexia assosication for more help and advice

http://www.bdadyslexia.org.uk/
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Pipsqueak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by clorogue View Post
    A mum I know's son may have dyslexia, he is 9. The school thinks he has - but the school can't offer him the help as he has to be to be assessed independently I believe, costing about £800. Is there any other way she can move forward or what help is there out there. Just drawing on your experiences - thanks!
    What do you mean the school cannot offer him help? the school are duty bound to offer him help
    and as for having to HAVE to have him independently assessed - poppycock - the school can and should be having him assessed.

You need to get your research head on and fight fight fight. go and see the Senco - research about SEN (The SEN Code of Practice is an excellent place to start) and the schools own SEN policy.

Get in contact with your local dyslexia Action group (google it) as well they will give you great support

oct 96
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

THank you so much, so helpful
    Clorogue

Non childminder member
    assistant
    Post Thanks / Like

my daughter is dyslexic was refered and diagnosed through school at 11 yrs old

May 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mamma_mia View Post
    my daughter is dyslexic was refered and diagnosed through school at 11 yrs old
    I had brought it up with her primary school but they werent interested saying she was too young although she has all the signs when I researched it.

My daughter moved to girls school in September 2011, talked to the SENCO lady straight away and she said she would be monitored. Within a month they agreed to test her and shes going through the process now.

dont know if its maybe primary schools that have a problem with it??