Dettol No Touch Soap Dispenser???
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dettol No Touch Soap Dispenser???

Does any one else see the massive design flaw with this no touch soap?

You use the loo, turn the tap on (with unwashed hands) then use soap to clean your hands, wash it off then turn the dirty tap off with clean hands... the tap you just touch with toilet germ hands... Why would having no touch soap stop the spread of germs? You touch the soap once with dirty hands, wash them and dont touch it again so what difference does it make if it is no touch... surely the best "no touch" would be the tap?

LOL This bugs me to high heaven... am I strange?

Jan 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My hubby says the exact same thing. lol

oct 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Am in complete agreement with you.

June 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I've always laughed at this...i'm sure they aren't cheap either!
    Me and Hubby always comment on how surely it doesnt matter what germs are on the soap dispenser as we are about to wash hands anyway.

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

perhaps Dettol should have gone on Dragons Den, would love to have heard the sarcastic comments from them lol.

At least it is not just me, the add came on and it annoys me so much I have to turn over lol

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

To do hand washing strictly, you're supposed to turn taps on and off with your elbow, or a clean paper towel!

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    To do hand washing strictly, you're supposed to turn taps on and off with your elbow, or a clean paper towel!
    Thats what they do on Hobly City

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes! Gets on my nerves, there's just no point in it and so many people have bought them thinking they are some kind of genius invention....

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree but you're supposed to turn a tap off using a paper towel lol , so no germs

So yes imo, it would be more hygienic to use a tap (and turn tap off with paper towel afterwards)

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Even if you had those magic no touch taps it would still be pointless!
    It doesnt matter if there are germs on the dispenser - youre about to wash your hands!!

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Ooh I've been sucked in by the marketing because I've got one in the downstairs toilet which the minded children use (no where else in the house where only my family touch it).

I can see what you're saying though - although my ex-hubby who's a chef has always said the correct way to wash your hands is to put soap on before you turn the tap on and then you haven't contaminated the tap at all.

The soap for those dispensers is expensive - £3.05 for a refill but it does last quite a while because it gives a measured amount as opposed to some children putting loads of soap on.

Also, I like it because the little ones can use it independantly as they don't have to push down hard on a normal dispenser. They also like the novelty factor and rush to wash their hands when it's snack or lunch time!
    Cazz x

dec 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I see what your all saying but I love mine as it means my two dd's now aged 4 and 6 can wash there hands without me hearing mummy can you help me, mummy I pressed the hand soap and it's gone all on the floor, mummy what shall I do with all the extra soap that's now all in the sink, etc etc. makes my life a whole lot easier and I don't go into the down stairs loo and step in soap, lol. X

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I also crynge when you are in a public toilet and have washed your hands and see someone come out of the loo, dont wash their hands and contaminate the door handle......... eeewwwwuuuuugghhh.

I use a paper towel to open the door every time but then what do you do with the paper towel because the bin is often on the other side of the room?????

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaReed84 View Post
    Does any one else see the massive design flaw with this no touch soap?

You use the loo, turn the tap on (with unwashed hands) then use soap to clean your hands, wash it off then turn the dirty tap off with clean hands... the tap you just touch with toilet germ hands... Why would having no touch soap stop the spread of germs? You touch the soap once with dirty hands, wash them and dont touch it again so what difference does it make if it is no touch... surely the best "no touch" would be the tap?

LOL This bugs me to high heaven... am I strange?
    You've missed the point completely Emma, you're suppose to turn the tap on with your teeth did you not realise lol

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I use one because the real little ones can't push a soap dispenser to get any soap out but they can put their hand underneath the detol one. It gives them some independence from the start.

May 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I use one because the lo's like it and it gives them some independence, I got the refills on the cheap from home bargains, around £1 each, so I stocked up, can't fit anything else in my bathroom cupboard now

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

we have one cause the little ones find it easier to use,, I just take the lid off the orginal bottles and add shops own brand soap, Im not paying the stupid prices they charge for the proper stuff.

July 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I for one love them

The children can't seem to use the normal soap dispensers, it ends up all over the sink, wall, floor and the children themselves at least with these the worse that can happen is it goes in the sink.

Carol xx

Feb04
    Post Thanks / Like

I have one and buy refills when I find them cheap (home bargains have them for around £1.50), otherwise I refill the soap bottle with cheaper liquid soap!
    I bought mine when it was on offer and as I had a couple of mindees who refused to wash their hands properly, I thought it may encourage them to do so. It worked, the dispenser was a novelty to them and they would wash their hands just for the "magic soap", even after the novelty wore off, they continued to wash their hands well.

Nov 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaReed84 View Post
    Thats what they do on Hobly City
    lol Emma, they do it in real hospitals too

Being a paranoid ex nurse who has a thing about hand washing, I have lever taps at my sink and at the downstairs loo basin too. Not sure that the mindees use them quite the way they should though

As for the soap dispensers, I found they promoted just a little too much independence and I was getting through rather alot of soap I have 3 under 18mths at the moment who love to wash their hands at every possible opportunity

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast