UNUSUAL  NAMES ......
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by parsleypetal View Post
    when i was a nurse we had a patient (child) in called Candida (the name for thrush) and one calle Malleena (not same spelling but word means "black poo caused by a stomach ulcer bleeding"....nice!!!
    Now that is bad how awful for the child

Angel xx

Registered Childminder since
    Jan 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angeldelight View Post
    I don't think anyone else thinks Ivy is a bad name either.I have a friend called Ivy.In fact none of the names mentioned are bad .....just unusual ,some we like,some we don't.

The press are saying Ivy Blue is a plant and an unusual name .......so I thought it a good topic

Angel xx
    yeah i know xx
    IS BACK

onceinabluemoon Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tara_louise1990 View Post
    What I ment was that children will find something to pick at and bullie over and that some parents make it easy for them. Some children who get bullied over one thing can easy get past it however when a child has an unusual name plus other things like being over weight, having parents from different countries, hair colour, speech they find it overwhelming and then things like eating disorders, commiting suicide ect happens - This is research proven btw.
    Therefore parents can help by thinking about the impact of the child's name. I chose my son's name because he has an unusual last name and I couldn't find anything nasty that rhymed with it or any thing that could be picked out of it.
    When I said about celeberaties the way their lives are broad casted and the way they are portrayed will be used against their child. Britney spears has already admitted that her son has been bullied by other children because of how public her breakdown was and now she tries to keep a low profile.
    I was stating facts. I hope I have explained it simple enough for you not to take offence at such a simple un-directed comment.
    Im not saying they are bad names just that they are unusual not common or traditional names. I like the name Brooke but would never call my child it.
    Say what?

I was stating facts. I hope I have explained it simple enough for you not to take offence at such a simple un-directed comment.
    Ahem! I even put a smiley face in that comment so you would know I meant it nicely!!!!

I chose my son's name because he has an unusual last name and I couldn't find anything nasty that rhymed with it or any thing that could be picked out of it.
    Your son will probably get called "Rhino" at school, two of my mates did and my nephew does and they all have the same name as your son and span 3 generations. Kids can always find something to make out of a name if they try hard enough and the Ryan/Rhino thing is really common.

Now think kind thoughts and don't get so stressed!

Nov 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by parsleypetal View Post
    when i was a nurse we had a patient (child) in called Candida (the name for thrush) and one calle Malleena (not same spelling but word means "black poo caused by a stomach ulcer bleeding"....nice!!!
    Thanks parsley you have just bought back some horrendous memories for me ....oowww the smell

We actually had a girl called Maleena in my nursing set, funny she didn't survive her 3 year training

Sept 00
    Post Thanks / Like

Brooke in africaans means knickers, when my dd was being bullied by a girl called Brooke she retaliated by calling her knickers, she never had an bother from her again

Nov 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    Brooke in africaans means knickers, when my dd was being bullied by a girl called Brooke she retaliated by calling her knickers, she never had an bother from her again
    love it

Jan 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL we nearly called DD2 Brooke but when we asked 2 yr old DD1 if she could pronounce it she said 'Book' - not normally too bad but our DD1 is called Paige. COuld not have 'Paige' and 'Book'!!

onceinabluemoon Guest

ew! I have just gone right off that name! Thanks!

I was thinking of a beautiful babbling brooke and now only have knickers in my head - wonderful!

Jan 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

DD1 is called Nyah. Although that has become more popular now, and I've heard it a few times now. DD2 is called Temperance and I always get asked about it!

xx

Sept 00
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mum2two View Post
    DD1 is called Nyah. Although that has become more popular now, and I've heard it a few times now. DD2 is called Temperance and I always get asked about it!

xx
    They are beautiful if unusual names. Doesn't temperance traditionally mean dry as in no alcohol?
    Do you shorten it?

mar09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mum2two View Post

xx
    are you a fan of BONES? temperance Brennan

I wanted name that were pronounced the same in french and english so DD is Lola and DS is Luca

after half a term in nursery DS came home and said "mummy just call me LucaS like my friend at school!"

can't win

Sep 11
    Post Thanks / Like

my nans name was IVY and her surname was Horsey not a good combo, bless her cottons she then married to become Ivy French.

My son is called Harley and when I had him someone in the same ward called their baby Lemon - I dont know if it was a girl or boy?

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I look after a little girl, called rudi boo, love the name but can you imagine when she gets too school, i often call her rude for short now x

Jan 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gegele View Post
    I wanted name that were pronounced the same in french and english so DD is Lola and DS is Luca

after half a term in nursery DS came home and said "mummy just call me LucaS like my friend at school!"

can't win
    I know tell me about it. My DD1 is Paige as I wanted a name that you couldn't do anything with as I have a long name which is constantly shortened. Instead her friends started LENGTHENING it to PAIGEY Which I cannot stand

I soon stamped it out

Nov 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beetlejuice View Post
    I know tell me about it. My DD1 is Paige as I wanted a name that you couldn't do anything with as I have a long name which is constantly shortened. Instead her friends started LENGTHENING it to PAIGEY Which I cannot stand

I soon stamped it out
    Tell me about it! I called my DD1 Bethan which is fairly common in Wales (I'm not welsh btw!) but not here. I wanted to shorten it to Beth, but she never has and I'm infuriated that many English feel it must be lengthend to Bethany.No offence to anyone who has called their daughter Bethany btw, I don't dislike its just not what I named her!

My youngest is Niamh; which gets all sorts of pronounciations and spellings, but I suppose thats what I get for giving her an Irish name. however she is very proud of it and being half Irish so thats fine

sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

our son is called Jaxon and would have been Willow if he was girl
    foxy

Jan 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i called dd1 emily beatrice - 25 years ago. emily seems to have been a popularish name in the late 1980s but pre the princess beatrice was unheard of. i was told i was cruel for giving her an old ladies name.
    DD2 is 20 this year and she is called katie alice...again aked why the old lady name.

i must admit now i wish i had called emily my original name eloise....i was a BIG damned fan.

if i had a little boy i would now call him something very old fashioned like albert or even Reg which was my wonderful grandfathers name.

i am unable to have any more babies....i went to the vets nearly 20 years ago and got "done".

good job eh?
    The bats have left the bell tower.....

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My daughter is called Blue Robyn Esme, and we are both appalled that Beyonce has stolen her name Blue!!!
    Francine X

Oct 11.
    Latest Inspection Grade
    x Good x
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by onceinabluemoon View Post
    Say what?

Ahem! I even put a smiley face in that comment so you would know I meant it nicely!!!!

Your son will probably get called "Rhino" at school, two of my mates did and my nephew does and they all have the same name as your son and span 3 generations. Kids can always find something to make out of a name if they try hard enough and the Ryan/Rhino thing is really common.

Now think kind thoughts and don't get so stressed!
    I didn't come across as ment in a nice way hence why i felt the need to comment back. I have worked in nursery's with about 8 Ryan's and know 2 Ryan's who are primary age and secondary age (met these after I called my so it) and none of them have been called Rhino but I will admit my other half has nicknamed him it and he now laugh's when he's called it so that if someone calls him it in school he wont be bothered by it.
    You can’t have everything. Where would you put it?

Aug 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My grandparents thought very hard to give my mum a name that could not be shortened, they called her Fay (which I love). Unfortunately her surname was Glynn and at school they nicknamed her Fagin (nope you can't win).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast