Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    January
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 'That' Littlewoods Ad

'My mother'

I've just seen on *clears throat* a post about the My mother ad Littlewoods have got out at the moment. now, I don't like it overly, as my children say it's a bit nauseating and (again as my children say) those kids sound a weeny bit spoilt but hey ho, I know lots of people spend a lot more than us at Christmas, and others spend less. We all have our traditions and our ways of doing things. But what interested me is that this lady is calling for the ad to be banned, and there are a lot of people on Facebook calling for the same, on the grounds that it spoils the secret of Christmas and tells children that Father Christmas doesn't exist (which I, of course, know is not true, just like Doctor Who is real. I know, I met him (Actually I've met both of them).)

What do you think? Has the advert given away any secrets? Is it turning our children into mercenary creatures? Is it cute or icky?
    Familiarity breeds contempt - and children Mark Twain

July 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I hate that advert because it suggests that unless you give your child what they want, they don't love you/you're not the best mum you can be etc etc etc.
    Personally I don't think that it spoils xmas for kids because at the end of the day how many kids listen to adverts anyway - don't most kids think that santa bring some presents and mum and dad give others??!
    Blessed Be!

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

I must say the advert doesnt bother me and being a bit dim i dont think its saying santa doesnt exsist, its just saying they have a very generous mother!! who shops at Littlewoods!.

January
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

One woman on *clears throat* wrote "when i watched it it made me very sad and i felt sick they are using pyscology to get mums buying expensive goods and ruining the spirit of christmas by telling all children its mums who buy presents not santa . It should be removed and they should be sued beyond imagination!"

I think a lot of people tell the children all the presents come from Father Christmas? We don't, the ones in the stocking are from him, tree presents are from us.

July 08
    Post Thanks / Like

don't most adverts suggest that toys come from shops/parents rather than santa's elves?!?!?
    frankly I think the DFS advert should be removed as well then as its saying that santa's elves are delivering sofas when they should be making toys!

oh, and last years littlewoods advert showed that presents were coming from some sort of alien spaceship - is that meant to be true as well?!?!
    Blessed Be!

Pipsqueak Guest

not seen it....

of to looksee

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

don't like the advert but never thought it was giving anything away to littlies
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

Dec 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Terrible. So material it makes me nauseous.

January
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Well over at *clear throat* they're getting their knickers thoroughly in a twist about it (as they do tend to about everything, to be fair). Now one mum has written, on the second post I've seen today about it:

I hate that advert!! Ds asked me "Why isn't father Xmas bringing the presents?"

I told him that those are the spoilt naughty children that father xmas won't give presents to so their naughty mummy's buy them presents. He believed me. . . Stupid advert, ds has never questioned father xmas till this!