Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default eight year old girl

i'm finding this age strange, my daughters just turned 8 and i'm finding it hard. so grown up, but still kind of babyish

Anyway what i need is ideas for christmas, she's well past the toys stage as in dolls, and stuff, but not quite old enough for laptops ( which is what she wants i'm thinking it'll probably be her last believing christmas

I have no idea what to get her, she has the usual already wii, ds, they have too much these days

What do your children want for christmas?
    Last edited by Bear23; 30-10-2011 at 08:21 PM.

Non childminder member
    ex-childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

I have an 8 year old dd, she got a notepad last year! (When our desktop broke, she had to pay £50 towards it) Uses it loads for typing stories/moshi monsters etc.

She now wants either...an ipod touch or Xoom tablet...yeah get real!

Like you we have no idea what to get her, perhaps a Kindle, but they are £89 but she reads all the time....decisions decisions!

Sorry, not much help!
    Come back David....

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

ipod touch , notepad

i'd still like a more babyish christmas, suppose i'll have to give in tho x
    Last edited by Bear23; 30-10-2011 at 08:39 PM.

Sept 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

tell me about it...

my 4 year old loves playing on my friends ipad...

shes 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so far she has not connected christmas and ipad but I am afraid it wont take too much more talking.....
    boo

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

my friends getting her six year old an ipad, i totally draw the line at this x

Jul 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

My dd got an iPod touch last Xmas and she was 8. It was the best money spent she loves it and uses it most days. She still likes arts and crafty things like fab effex and gellarti
    Love Amanda

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My DS is 7 and we are getting him a tablet for christmas. I know it might seem a bit odd but he is always wanting to use my laptop (which is on it's last legs). He can use it for so much of his homework. His internet usage will be closely monitered though and most of the time he will use it in the kitchen where I can keep an eye on him.

xxxx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bear23 View Post
    i'm finding this age strange, my daughters just turned 8 and i'm finding it hard. so grown up, but still kind of babyish

Anyway what i need is ideas for christmas, she's well past the toys stage as in dolls, and stuff, but not quite old enough for laptops ( which is what she wants i'm thinking it'll probably be her last believing christmas

I have no idea what to get her, she has the usual already wii, ds, they have too much these days

What do your children want for christmas?
    My daughter is 10 and at the in between age. She still likes to play with dolls sometimes, but also wants to wear make up & trendy clothes.
    So far this year we've got her some of the Designafriend dolls from Argos. They're a bit more grown up than baby dolls. DD likes to sew clothes for her dolls and do their hair, so these are a good size for that. We've also got her a jewellery making kit that is more grown up than the usual plastic bead sort.

Last Christmas she had some Harumika toys & really liked those.

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    My daughter is 10 and at the in between age. She still likes to play with dolls sometimes, but also wants to wear make up & trendy clothes.
    So far this year we've got her some of the Designafriend dolls from Argos. They're a bit more grown up than baby dolls. DD likes to sew clothes for her dolls and do their hair, so these are a good size for that. We've also got her a jewellery making kit that is more grown up than the usual plastic bead sort.

Last Christmas she had some Harumika toys & really liked those.
    oh those dolls look good, thing its me wantinmg her too want dolls tho, shes got her heart set on a phone

Mar02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

What about some lego?
    Fab traditional toy that everyone can play with.

My ds and girl mindee are both 10 and they spend hours playing with a huge box of lego. Its amazing the imagination they get from this.

Last week I had a 2yr old, 4yrol, 5 yrold and 10yr old all sat playing around a massive pile of lego.

Ds has asked for some 'normal' lego - not on a theme or vehicle - just the different sizes of bricks.

Rachel x

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

my DD is 6 and we had no idea what to get her! she says she wants a ds, but she is never bothered about playing on DSs or anyone elses after a couple of minutes! and she isn't having one 'just because'

we've decided on a dressing table, that will double as a desk.

i think its hard to buy for all children now! DS is 9 and we have no idea for him! thought we might have to go for the 3ds, as he wanted fifa12, but he has gone off that idea now !!

last year, we bought the children ( and us ! ) tickets to see the lion king as their main present ( went on 28th dec). if we still lived near london, i would do the same again. i'm keeping my eyes open to see what big shows are touring our way around christmas.

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i've thought about a desk dressing table, but all the ones i've seen are either too babyish or too old, where are you getting yours from ?

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

we found one in argos, http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...SING+TABLE.htm

this mirror, painted white! http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...SING+TABLE.htm

nice and girly, but not too young, and big enough to last a good few years!

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

just head to claires accessories - my dd would be happy if everything on her list came from there
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post

this mirror, painted white! http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...SING+TABLE.htm

ohhh i like that desk, thank you xx

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post

i've ordered this table, thank yopu, its come today and altho i haven't openbed it, it looks like it comes with a big mirror, i'll let you know tomorrow when i can look in it xx

Jan 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It is very hard - and I think it varies greatly from child to child.

DD1 was out of dolls and things like that very young. She has only ever been interested in reading, writing stories and maths - right from about age 6. So she had a netbook for christmas a couple of years ago. (She was 6 - 7 in the March)

She has a iPod touch too - which she uses all the time for her dancing. She'll put songs on she's using at dancing, and practice. For her - they are well worth it!

DS however - he's 6 now - is still well into hotwheels, nerf guns, lego, crafts, etc - so much easier to buy him 'more appropriately aged' toys. Although he now has my old netbook...

Wii & DS games can always be picked up pre-owned from the shops quite cheap too now. More often cheaper than ebay!

We are splashing out this year though... We really want an xbox with kinect for us all - but can't justify buying it for 'nothing' so they are having that as a joint present. Also, DH brought an iPad earlier in the year, which he then got bored of... As we already had it, I said, reset it - put it back in the box, and another joint present!!!

xx